Road Closure & Ex Railway & Road Bridge Closed

Got something on your chest,, Get it off here,,

Road Closure & Ex Railway & Road Bridge Closed

Postby Hornchurch » 26 Apr 2021, 19:50

'

As this IS Geographical, current & is NOT 'Historical' I hope I've landed this in the right section ?

(As in, I'd expect to find this kinda thing ON a 'Noticeboard' - Alas, internet is not showing any info')

Near Knight's Hill are the villages of both Roydon & Congham.

Both are connected by a long, long lane - At the King's Lynn end, is a BRIDGE

Both this BRIDGE and the long, long road-lane itself are closed too (at the Lynn-end)

Anyone know as to WHAT is going-on there or what has caused this closure ?

There are heaps of 'Aggregate' on both sides of the bridge, plus some wooden-cladding

I see no (apparent) notices, nor K.L.W.N. notification, so, I figured that someone on this board might have an idea ?

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1855119

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1855106

I'll post a link (above), to the 'Geograph' pictures of both location & bridge in question...so folks know as to which I'm referring to

P.S ; there is a map at the base of each link, showing it's proximity to King's Lynn

Hornchurch

Re: Road Closure & Ex Railway & Road Bridge Closed

Postby Tresagreen » 27 Apr 2021, 13:36

Work is for infill of old railway bridge, St Andrews Lane. 19-30 April
Tresagreen

Postby Hornchurch » 03 May 2021, 02:56

Tresagreen wrote:

'

Many thanks for that info' Tresa', it's very much appreciated.

Crafty blighters went home 'early' (each night, I'm told :lol: ), looks like a "cushy-number" from what I've been told.

I saw that the road (lane), is now back open & according to your dates (again, I'm told), opened a day-early.

I did see the bridge this eve', about 90-mins before sunset - Looks like "heaped up" Gravel beside the bridge, each end.

From what I can gather, no more vehicles, horses, ponies, or human-beings will ever go underneath it's spans again - shame :( (foreseeable future)

Tres' ; As you obviously found-out the details, was the project instructed by the local district council, or, the 'Highways Agency' ?

Without knowing (or seeing up-close), the "Infill" seems like a cheap way out.

I thought (from memory alone), that the 'Geograph' pix ('net), show the bridge has "Girders" as in R.S.J type - (maybe even Iron ?)

My folks inform me, that back in the early-mid 1990's, there WAS a fallen concrete beam that had a smart '1921' etched into the concrete plinth

In fact, my Father took me to see it (again, mid-90's), but I recall around it was covered in nettles & other stone-detritis

Shame there are (no known ?), photographs of it, in use, during it's M&GN railway heyday, or the land nearby - (I mean 1920's, 1930's, 1940's, 1950's)

"If" anyone knows of any, please DO shout & holler - I'd love to see them, if so.

https://www.newcivilengineer.com/latest/plan-to-demolish-and-infill-hundreds-of-unused-rail-bridges-and-tunnels-must-be-stopped-dft-told-06-01-2021/

POST EDIT ; About 20-mins after I signed-out, I stumbled across this.... above - I'll presume it's amongst those mentioned ?

Hornchurch

Postby Tresagreen » 03 May 2021, 08:38

Norfolk County Council Highways Dept, but you have to dig REALLY deep to find the info.
Tresagreen

Postby Hornchurch » 08 May 2021, 17:02

Tresagreen wrote:
Norfolk County Council Highways Dept, but you have to dig REALLY deep to find the info.

'

Hi Tres'

I couldn't find a thing, EXCEPT THIS.... Rather "Telling" Article - (I'd say "worrying")

https://www.newcivilengineer.com/latest/plan-to-demolish-and-infill-hundreds-of-unused-rail-bridges-and-tunnels-must-be-stopped-dft-told-06-01-2021/

"IF" this li'l snippet is anything to go by, then it seems 'they' were as keen as mustard

"According to the HRE Group – an alliance of engineers, active travel campaigners and greenway developers"

" – 135 structures are currently at risk of demolition - or infilling - by Highways England"

Seems like it's already "too late" for the M&GN bridge that I'd highlighted.

Hornchurch

Postby EWW » 08 May 2021, 17:33

Its just not done to change other posters text Mr Hornchurch. If Ms Green wanted it that size she would have posted it that size.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby Hornchurch » 08 Apr 2022, 17:06

'

See below :wink:

Don't get a coronary over it - it just ain't worth it
:smt008

Tresagreen wrote:

"Norfolk County Council Highways Dept, but you have to dig deep"

'

You about Tres' ?

Bizarrely - One year on (exactly to the month) and yet again, "ROAD CLOSED" & they are faffing about with THAT self-same bridge again....

Except there's NO-ONE-THERE :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Oh yeah - They've blocked the road (lane) both ends, signposted the lot - Except there ARE currently MORE humans 'on the moon', than at that 'worksite'

Jaded cynic in me says.... "It's FRIDAY and they've all ferked-off down the Pub" - (in other words, "workshy" AND it's FRIDAY = Job & Knock

Doesn't matter wether you rocked-up at 10am, 12-midday, 1pm, 2pm, 4pm - In the words of Jamaica = "DEM GONE" (Lord Lucan style)

Wouldn't mind, BUT, seeing no blighter there, at ANY time of day, makes you question "what they're playing at" ?

Anyways Tres' - Figured that "if" anyone on here knew (as to 'why' it's closed, yet again, for no-reason), it'll be you, right ?

Last edited by Hornchurch on 09 Apr 2022, 09:53, edited 3 times in total.
Hornchurch

Postby Tresagreen » 08 Apr 2022, 19:38

Sorry Hornchurch, this time I have absolutely no idea. Try the NCC highways dept.
Tresagreen

Postby Hornchurch » 09 Apr 2022, 09:01

Tresagreen wrote:
Sorry Hornchurch, this time I have absolutely no idea. Try the NCC highways dept.

'

I know you said it was a nighmare (or, sentiment to that effect), when you went looking for it, last-time around.

Am dreading getting more eyestrain, trawling thru an endless mass of unintelligable info' , just to ascertain one thing.

Wouldn't mind "IF" the blighters turned-up AND ACTUALLY DID SOME WORK , instead of fencing-off the road (they have) & no-one "working" there, blocked for no reason.

I know you highlighted that LAST YEAR they were part of that scheme to "infill bridges" throughout the land (mass contract, sounded like a con)

Bridge is used repeatedly, during the year...

Anything from H.G.V's - (Damn, they really SHOULD impose a weight-limit there), to multiple cyclists AND Horse Riders & the ubiquitous cars.

Earlier this year (late March), I watched no less than ELEVEN x H.G.V (Articulated Lorries) go over THAT bridge, from the B.1153 Quarry alone !!!!!!

Given it was an old M&GN railway-bridge, it was NEVER designed to have a dozen 18-24 wheeled H.G.V's pass over it, inside just 25 minutes !!!!!

After the first FOUR I thought "They're taking the pi$$", but another SEVEN followed, making it x ELEVEN H.G.V's in just 25 minutes

Because it's SUCH an out of the way place (middle of the countryside), it doesn't get properly monitored

But the ultimate 'pi$$-take', is to "shut the bridge AND the road" with no-work going on, nothing happening & denying locals access FOR NO REASON

At least, close the road & bridge down when some 'skiver' can FINALLY be bothered to turn-up & not necking beer down one of the many local Pubs !

Hornchurch

Postby Tresagreen » 09 Apr 2022, 09:29

Try ringing this number ( Mon-Fri) 0344 800 8020, they are very helpful.
Tresagreen

Postby Hornchurch » 09 Apr 2022, 09:46

Tresagreen wrote:
Try ringing this number ( Mon-Fri) 0344 800 8020, they are very helpful.

'

Cheers Tres' anyway.

Jaded cynic in me says 'will get mugged-of with polite, diplomatic response'

Just the same way ya do, when you contact ANY supermarket about a product continually out of stock (yet, still shows on the website)

They mug you off with the same 'contrived' generic response - (I've had the same with both TESCO and ASDA this year alone)

Thing that makes me REALLY burn with anger is - DON'T fence the road-off, unless someone IS actually there "to work".

It's used by FAR more people/folks than they can ever imagine, thru ALL hours of the day & night (too)

Access should be allowed, until some blighter (contractor, on behalf of the council) can actually be bother to show-up AND DO SOME WORK - (Lazy B'strds !)

Some folks here reading this (thread), will be reminded of Jeremy Clarkson & Top-Gear & the continual mention of "motorway cones", yet, no-one there.

Put the damn things out, when someone can be actually bothered to show-up.

The latest road-signs "Road Closed" & road-bridge crossing fenced-off, has been like it for days on end now, with bugger-all happening to warrant it
:roll:

British ineptitude at it's finest....

Hornchurch

Postby Tresagreen » 09 Apr 2022, 18:32

You really need to calm down Hornchurch, as you said yourself ' don't have a coronary, it just ain't worth it' .
Tresagreen

Postby Hornchurch » 10 Apr 2022, 04:57

Tresagreen wrote:
You really need to calm down Hornchurch, as you said yourself ' don't have a coronary, it just ain't worth it' .

'

Ha, (laughs profusely), I'm calm - well, calm enough - just laconic

Cannot see the point tho' in "blocking access" for days & days & days on end when there's NO bugger even there - it's just pointless.

Crocks it for Horse riders too - (of which we have many) - As they like to ride on less threatening roads, merely to 'stay safe'

Not everyone in Norfolk (or, near the A.148), wants to travel or race-around at 900mph, like so many idiots (usually in Audis), tend to do round here...

Hornchurch

Postby Tresagreen » 11 Apr 2022, 12:40

To save you from further apoplexy HC, this is what is happening. 4-14 April road closed for Bridge Deck Trails. 20-25 April partial closure for resurfacing. 22-26April partial closure for drainage solutions..... Google Bridge Deck Trails and you'll get all the info you need.
Tresagreen

Postby EWW » 13 Apr 2022, 19:37

I think a re-read of the Terms of Use need to happen.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Return to Rant!