Sunday night in Hunstantons KIT KAT

Local live bands, dance outfits, gigs you saw? Blow your trumpet here.

Re: Sunday night in Hunstantons KIT KAT

Postby 8 boston square » 23 Jun 2019, 12:56

This was a familiar logo in the early 60's but I bet you have never seen one of these before, we had a papershop in Mansfield and I guess this came from one of the reps, the size is roughly the size of the length of a Senior Service cigarette but can you guess what is inside the small box? Its something I will guarantee you have never seen before and will never see again, next weekend before I motor down to the coast for a week you will see and if you want to see where I am going have a look at Hua Hin Grand Hotel it is a lovely place every room has a sea view and the 2 of us are there for a week for 160 quid!
8 boston square

Postby EWW » 23 Jun 2019, 13:53

Very nice Boston. What is the nearest Airport? Like the picture of the sink :lol:
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby 8 boston square » 24 Jun 2019, 04:39

Hua Hin has its own airport about 30 minutes by air from Bangkok (BKK), Bangkok is the hub airport for the area. I usually fly British Airways the flight times are good 1610 LHR arrive next morning 0945 and flying back BKK 1115 arrive LHR 1830 and that's non stop about 12 hours.
8 boston square

Postby EWW » 24 Jun 2019, 07:16

May give it a go at sometime Boston but the last time I was in Bangkok the heat and humidity nearly killed me.
I did post some pictures of my stay there on here a few years ago.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby EWW » 27 Jun 2019, 17:42

8 boston square wrote:Whilst I was with Nigel in Lynn last May he told me he had taken part in the "Bert Bradshaw Show" at the Princess Theatre in Hunstanton and I know he was pleased to take part, this was at the end of January I think. Its important for local communities not to forget part of their history, Bert was a s much a part of the Kit Kat as were Danny Ford and the Offbeats.
I remember in the late 50's, 1959 I think I used to pay a shilling to hire a canoe on the boating lake and often saw the rolly polly character playing on an island at the Kit Kat end of the boating lake, I often wondered how he got onto the island, a crane most likely!
The Princess Theatre at Hunstanton, which I knew as the Capitol Cinema, do have a superb calender of events which deserve support, I see this coming Sunday 15th they have an ABBA night, if I were there I would be there, never been to a bad ABBA yet, always left with a spring in my step and a feel good in my factor inside, they should be on the NHS for people who are depressed.
Later in the year, Sunday 7th of October they have Jimmy Jemain and the Rapiers as Cliff Richard and the Shadows, have seen this combination and its really good, as we used to have a lot of Cliff and the Shads on a Sunday night way back I recommend this a show not to be missed you will be amazed just how good they sound and look, for one night you will be back in the 1960's.
I will be back in the UK at this time but have a previous engagement with my older brother in Weymouth, Sunday Roast and then I have to take him to the pub, can't think why.
I do love these musical events though, we don't have them in Thailand, well certainly not in my part anyway so I envy anyone who can make it to the Princess Theatre.

THE RAPIERS
EWW

Postby 8 boston square » 29 Jun 2019, 13:43

So this is whats in the box a 2 pack of Senior Service cigarettes never ever seen a 2 pack before or since.

8 boston square

Postby EWW » 29 Jun 2019, 13:45

It looks like something else was in the box sometime Boston, any idea what it was?
EWW

Postby Tresagreen » 29 Jun 2019, 14:30

Any chance it might have been one of these?

Tresagreen

Postby 8 boston square » 29 Jun 2019, 14:38

I cannot remember what the middle item was and no Tres you cannot have one! I keep it as treasure of the time. In the late 50's everyone either smoked Senior's or Players Medium Navy Cut with a few opting for Capstan full strength then the cancer scare appeared, filters were the way forward and sales off plain cigarettes plunged and the like of Rothmans kingsize, B & H, Gold Leaf and Embassy took the market. This was time when most people smoked, its hard to imagine that now, cinemas and dance halls in foggy haze was the norm, trains and top decks of buses as well.
Its getting late here now and we are off at first light for Hua Hin so see you next weekend with some more gems of the time!
8 boston square

Postby Tresagreen » 29 Jun 2019, 14:44

Eh? ....... Sorry Boston, I don't remember asking for one! Have a great time, we look forward to your next offering!!!ps unless my eyes deceive me, isn't that a small pocket knife on the right hand side of the box? T
Tresagreen

Postby 8 boston square » 13 Jul 2019, 15:57

I am now back from holiday down by the coast, not much sun but when its 30+ its not a problem, very nice and relaxing hotel in Hua Hin. Now then very soon you will see a sight that was common in the Kit Kat days so stay tuned, it wont be long.
8 boston square

Postby EWW » 13 Jul 2019, 16:18

EWW

Postby 8 boston square » 13 Jul 2019, 16:18

8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 14 Jul 2019, 03:04

The photo was taken in the summer of 1966 in an un- made Boston Square, my first car! A Ford Cortina 1200 de luxe from King's in Tower Street, Kings Lynn, next to the Model Shop. It cost 465 pounds 2nd hand and for those of you watching in black and white the colour was Imperial Maroon and Ascot Grey. I had a vacuum guage fitted, oil pressure guage and amp meter as well, just like a GT without the rev counter and the performance! Top speed was a claimed 77 mph, 12.7 seconds to 50 mph.What this did was give me options on a Sunday night so my Kit Kat days were now in decline. I could have the weekend in Peterborough with my brother or lure a young lady out for the night. It had done 28000 miles when I got it, it originally belonged to a local farmer I was told, BPW441B are you out there?
I sold it in 1969, I was living in Bedfordshire by now and the Kit Kat was now just a good memory and working as a relief manager for John Collier, Saturday nights I used to call in at the area manager's to see where I was going the next week, remember not many people had telephones in those days, he did and only one shop on his area did. As I drove down I saw a car for sale in a drive way for 310 pounds, it was a Ford Corsair V4 in turquoise/blue and a white roof, had done 66000 miles and a plate of CBM657C it had a 2 band radio as well!! Went for a drive in it and paid 305 pounds, what a car, the engine was almost silent, I had to wind the window down see if it had fired up and the suspension was very soft, the front used to lift on take off like those American cars did, small gear stick and well back changing gear was not quick but a lovely car to drive, top speed 88 mph, this was really living!!
It only lasted until 6th of January 1970 when I was driving back to Flitwick on the A6 dual carriage way when some teenager driving an Austin Healy 3000 lost control in the other carriageway and jumped over into mine and stopped, I ended up in a field and lucky to survive with just a broken wrist, the car was write off naturally, I was off work for about 2 months till the cuts in my knees healed and then I got another Corsair this time a 2000E-Marroon with a vinyl roof and cream coloured interior, top speed 99mph, I think we should call it 100!
This of course takes us well past Kit Kat days but I expect that many of you out there will recall your first car and changing them as you went through life, a time for relection.
8 boston square

Postby EWW » 14 Jul 2019, 08:42

I had a green Cortina but mine was a bit special, unlike yours it had TWO wing mirrors :D
EWW

PreviousNext

Return to Local Music Scene.