High Street

Got something on your chest,, Get it off here,,

High Street

Postby wallywombat » 03 Apr 2015, 21:14

Another High Street hazard. Greggs have applied for planning permission for tables and chairs outside their High Street shop, application No 15/00361/cu, another hazard to negotiate!!.
NORMAL FOR NORFOLK
wallywombat

Re: High Street

Postby dr strangelove » 07 Apr 2015, 12:19

I totally agree!! How dare Greggs give their customers an oportunity to eat their food and drink their coffee in a pleasant Hight St if the weather is lovely and sunny if it suits them. The cheek of it! :lol:
Just walk on the other side if you think it is too difficult to navigate around a few tables and chairs. Good thing you don't live in Barcelona, Milan, Madrid .... etc, etc.
Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm schizophrenic, and so am I.
dr strangelove

Postby MJR » 14 Apr 2015, 13:07

And in Barcelona or Milan we'd be able to ride our bikes along it, as long as we gave way to people walking. (Madrid less certain - I don't remember people cycling in the few pedestrianised streets I saw.)

I'm surprised that the High Street one is the first to put tables outside. It feels like there's more space in Broad Street but I guess that's on the private section now and I don't know its owner's attitude to tables.
MJR

Postby spainguy » 14 Apr 2015, 13:42

As far as I understand it here in Spain, if the pavement is 3 metres or more wide, cyclists can use it but pedestrians have priority. As a pedestrian I am more at risk to my safety from extendable dog leads where the owners are oblivious to the chaos being wreaked around them.
spainguy

Postby MJR » 14 Apr 2015, 17:46

Wow, if so, that's a sensible ruling in Spain. It's quite rare we have 3m wide here, though - the Sandringham and Sand Line paths, perhaps. I'm not sure even the path past Palm Paper is 3m wide. I can't think of one that wide next to a road except for the new Saturday Market Place but I expect there's a couple.

I agree that the near-invisible fishing-reel leads are a bit hazardous, but I think most people are smart enough to keep dogs on a short lead in the High Street!
MJR

Postby banjo » 16 Apr 2015, 20:10

Unbelievable, it really is!
banjo

Postby vernydev » 15 Apr 2018, 01:17

I have to say that seeing people sitting enjoying a cup of coffee or tea outside gives one hope that summer is not far behind. Smiling and passing the time of day is a good thing. Pause a moment perhaps for a nice cup of tea and relax for a few minutes. After a long rainy winter there is nothing nicer than seeing people sitting outside drinking coffee or tea and smiling and conversing with passersby. Excuse my 'soapbox' but being of the 'older generation' I have learned that enjoying the moment is not such a bad thing.
Vernydev
vernydev

Postby 8 boston square » 15 Apr 2018, 15:42

This started in London over 10 years ago, provided the pavement is wide enough its probably ok but the reason it took off in London and the question that needs to be asked here and remember Greggs is a national chain is how much do the traders pay to put their tables and chairs on the pavement? Do you know of any council that is flush with cash or do you know one that is always looking for a new revenue stream?
8 boston square

Return to Rant!