Mart reform row goes on...

Got something on your chest,, Get it off here,,

Mart reform row goes on...

Postby Stifler's Uncle Bob » 30 Jan 2013, 10:33

The Showman’s Guild of Great Britain, which represents the people who run rides at The King's Lynn's Mart, and West Norfolk Council are embroiled in a row over plans to cut the length of the fair from the traditional two weeks to 8 or 9 days and end the customary Valentine’s Day opening, both in breach of the fair's historic charter

What is the matter with those idiots at the Borough Council? They just don't know when to stop interferring. Why can't they listen to the people? Why can't they take better advice?

Are they trying to destroy everything that remains of our heritage? Soon there will be nothing left. This has to be an ego thing.

I seriously hope that the people of this Borough remember their lack of representation at the next ballot box. We need a Council that will fight for our heritage and not destroy it...
Friar Tuck: Let us open a bottle and do our best to save each other's souls.
Azeem: Alas, I am not permitted.
Friar Tuck: Fine then, you talk, I'll drink.
Stifler's Uncle Bob

Re: Mart reform row goes on...

Postby juneann » 30 Jan 2013, 13:59

Easter , Mothers Day, Fathers Day.School Half Terms/Holidays, ect, change every year.The Mart has always been the same two weeks, always snows, leave the dam dates alone. Waiting for tha day when some bright spark changes Christmas Day, mark my words it will come. Always believed Margerate Thatcher would have taxed breathing air, and still do believe some one will. :lol: :smt006
juneann

Postby MJR » 31 Jan 2013, 01:38

Well there was a letter in the Lynn News http://www.lynnnews.co.uk/community/let ... -1-4539738 which says the Showmen are overselling the charters which say nothing about them, two weeks and Valentine's Day - but I think if the Showman’s Guild wants two weeks, why not let them have it? It's not like February is peak tourist season when we need all the car parks (even with the Mart attracting some extra visitors) and the traffic disruption wouldn't be too bad even if they closed the road. I lived on King Street last year and the police closed the marketplace a few times, including once just because some caravans had set up on it.

Next borough election is 2015. Will this really keep rumbling until then?

Next county election is May 2013 and - at least in West Norfolk - that's likely to be dominated by the ill-considered incinerator, whose public enquiry will have not long finished.
MJR

Postby MJR » 31 Jan 2013, 01:46

And then I saw http://www.lynnnews.co.uk/lifestyle/lif ... -1-4287600 which says "The group is recommending extra barriers be placed between the Tuesday Market Place and Ferry Street, [...] Pedestrians would cross at the top of King Street, south of the mini-roundabout, with three stewards supervising the crossing point and directing traffic throughout Mart hours." so here's my Rant!

Now excuse me if I'm wrong, but didn't last year's Mart end up with one child and no drivers dead? So the borough's decision is to punish all children and their parents by fencing them in, making them walk up to a designated crossing point- rather than doing anything about the car drivers? Typical council - let's protect King Car from the nasty people.

There's only one extra safety measure they should take: enforce the 20mph speed limit and if that doesn't work for some reason (police unwilling, for example): CLOSE THE ROAD during Mart opening hours except for deliveries.
MJR

Return to Rant!