SO YOU THINK YOU KNOW NORFOLK?

Jokes, Fun, The Weather, Say Hello, Whatever,, Feel free to post on any subject under the moderated sun.

SO YOU THINK YOU KNOW NORFOLK?

Postby masonbm » 16 Nov 2020, 14:09

Of course you do, so here is an easy quiz from yesterday's Sunday Times. You might win a holiday if you enter (Google "Where was I"-first item). Just read this article and answer the 2 questions-easy for members of this forum!

"As a rule Friend and I don’t do picnics. But on that summer day Friend had packed a hamper and rolled out a blanket: all the better to admire the earthworks around a 12th-century castle. Rising to more than 30ft, the grassy banks would dwarf many ruins – but not this one. The walls of the keep reach almost to their original height.

“Why is the bank so high?” asked Friend, unpacking some fresh baguettes and brie.

“Maybe they worried a storm surge would wash in from the northwest,” I said. “Back then I bet the sea was even closer.”

“Maybe it was designed to keep the inhabitants in, as much as their enemies out,” Friend speculated. An interesting theory: after all, the castle’s most famous resident (mother: Joan) had a fearsome reputation. But she “retired” here about 190 years after the keep and earthworks were built. We wolfed down our food as we considered her stormy relationships with both husband and eldest son.

“At least she was out of the way up here,” I commented.

“But close to a good source of wine,” noted Friend — thanks to the key medieval port four miles southwest of us.

Now what? I’d planned to see a house, built in neo-Jacobean style, three miles northeast of the castle. It was, indirectly, the product of another awkward mother-son relationship, though this time it was the son who lived there. But then Friend produced his picnic’s crowning glory: a perfect Victoria sponge. Immediately, I abdicated responsibility for the rest of the day".

Q1- who was the castle's most famous resident?
Q2 - what is the name of the neo-Jacobean house?
masonbm

Re: SO YOU THINK YOU KNOW NORFOLK?

Postby EWW » 16 Nov 2020, 20:28

I used to tell the story of that famous resident during talks at True's yard...but only to adults :D
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby masonbm » 17 Nov 2020, 12:27

I wonder if the "she wolf" was really that bad.

What I would really like to know about Castle Rising is whether there is or was a tunnel from Red Mount Chapel and whether the story of the piper (and his dog) who suffocated in it is true.
masonbm

Postby EWW » 17 Nov 2020, 12:59

Not true. It is a myth. The first person to tunnel under water was one I K Brunel. I have been down the very first one in the world
and it nearly killed I K. The river broke in and he was very lucky to have have been trapped at the top of the main shaft in an air
pocket. He was very ill afterwards and his father Marc Brunel sent him abroad to convalesce in France where Marc was born.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... uPPvFIlPgb
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby EWW » 17 Nov 2020, 15:45

If you get a chance it is well worth a visit. The actual tunnel is incorporated into the underground line now but all the workings are still there.
The rest of the museum area is quite historic. The actual spot where he was trapped is pointed out to you by the guide down in the shaft.

EWW

Return to SAY ANYTHING.