MOTORCYCLES - LET'S DISCUSS 'EM

Jokes, Fun, The Weather, Say Hello, Whatever,, Feel free to post on any subject under the moderated sun.

MOTORCYCLES - LET'S DISCUSS 'EM

Postby Hornchurch » 21 Jan 2018, 21:46

EWW wrote:
Off to sunny Hunny tomorrow to see the soapbox derby. Supposed to be some bands playing during the day.

If the weather is kind enough will be going on the old Yamaha, easier parking. :D
'

Just out of curiosity, as an owner of classic Japanese Motorcycles myself, what cc & model bike is your "Old Yamaha"??

Last edited by Hornchurch on 01 Jul 2019, 20:18, edited 1 time in total.
Hornchurch

MOTORBIKE

Postby EWW » 21 Jan 2018, 22:07

Not really old. It was a 25 year old virago 535. Aint got it now but have this one. Brand new out of the showroom here a few weeks ago, but since added a few extras. Four extra front lights, sissy bar and back rest,engine crash bars and a screen.

I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

MOTORBIKE

Postby Hornchurch » 21 Jan 2018, 22:34

'

Strewth !

That looks longer than the van next-door :-D :wink:

& what calibre is the rearward-firing-rocket-launcher ??????

Reminds me of Ye old Yamaha V-Max that my boss used to own.

He asked me to put it away one-night & said "Don't drop it, or else.." :lol:

I think he meant "Don't drop it, coz you MIGHT improve it beyond all-recognition" !!!!!!!

However, even I acknowledge the importance of a decent front screen.

I once rode to Duisberg in Germany, in the Ruhr, for a weekend trip & back on my precious old Kawasaki Z.1000-J

~~~~~~~~ https://flic.kr/p/bRmmxT ~~~~~~~~~

Man, I was just SO physically exahusted that I slept for at least 35xhrs on Sunday-night & missed work on Monday.

When I went back to Europe (Luxembourg), for a week in the Ardennes the following year, I'd fitted a Powerbronze fairing.

Mind you, I've always been one for spending 8-9 hours in the saddle, with few breaks.

Hornchurch

Re: MOTORBIKE

Postby EWW » 21 Jan 2018, 23:03

Funny you saying that as you can get a kit that fits in the end of the can that spins to look exactly like a Gattling gun.
I may do it cos I'm still a 70+ kid at heart. :D :smt028
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby Hornchurch » 21 Jan 2018, 23:16

'

Loving the "long fork trail" custom-bike smilie

Love it, yet, SO far removed from anything I ride, or, have ever ridden.

Bad enough that I've EVER publicly admitted to riding my Bosses (ugly) V-Max
(& that, only because he asked me to put it away, get me out early !)

Man, he got LAMBASTED over owning that monstrosity, from other sportsbike riders.
(He was manager at a CBT//Direct-Access centre, back in 1996-97, in London)

Never liked the 'custom' style myself, just personal preference.

I did get involved, 3-4 years ago, helping a Hunstanton-mate sell his Kawasaki VN.800 Vulcan.
He'd sorely undervalued it, so I helped him out with setting-up an E-bay advert for it.

A guy travelled down from "Ooop Nurth" with £2,000 in cash, haggled & bought it for £1,800

Best looking "factory-released" custom, was the version of my Z.1000-J, the Z.10000.LTD

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/mDPVJqyawX8/maxresdefault.jpg

Rare as "Rocking Horse Sheet" these days, it's a handsome beast that even I'd be proud to own.

(P.S, was def' worth making out a new-thread for :wink: )
Hornchurch

Postby EWW » 21 Jan 2018, 23:35

One of my mates had a V-MAX at one time and it was a beast to get round corners. After about the third times dropping it he got rid.
The bike shop I sold the Virago to had it in the showroom for four days and it went for 2 grand. Not one for long raking fronts myself.
Had a few Yammies but now looking to buy and old 62 and later Triumph Tiger Cub to play around with as a project.

The bike I have now is EFI so no carbs to worry about over winter.
EWW

Postby EWW » 25 Jan 2018, 10:31

With all the add ons. Foot boards, Screen, Engine bars, 4 Lights, Sissy bar. Now just need the weather.

EWW

Postby suzook12 » 20 Feb 2018, 00:34

Guess you guys never appreciated the V-max then? I must admit, I'd heard all the horror stories and resisted to use my house mates V-max when I broke my gixer. She had that as it was low enough for her to ride.... To be honest, after riding a Gpz11 for over a decade and surviving, the Max wasn't all that bad, I've certainly ridden worse....

Went to N Ireland with one of my mates who was on a 535, ended up feeling sorry for him. Having taken in the NW200, we returned to Belfast using the causeway coast road. Now if ever a road was made purely for biking, that has to be the one. twisting and turning through some of the UK's finest scenery...... 2 of us on Gsxr streetfighters, you can imagine how that went....

Have had probably over 40 bikes since I was 16. For sheer lunacy, this was the one, which I still have....

On full chat, approx 275 Bhp at the rear wheel on street tyres running 9 second quarters. In the pic, it has just been launched by dropping the clutch at about 7000rpm on a 2 step (2 stage rev limiter that allows you to hold throttle wide open but keep desired revs until clutch is released) which initiated the nitrous, with approx an additional 40 Bhp ramping up to 125 Bhp hit of nitrous over 2-3 seconds..... The motor produces around 150 bhp without the gas......... :-D :-D
suzook12

Postby EWW » 20 Feb 2018, 09:35

And old workmate of mine Rickie Gipp held several records at that game. He was in with Straight Line racing. Not my cup of tea as I would rather
look at the scenery. Daughter lived in Belfast and I used to go over for some of the road races.
EWW

Postby suzook12 » 20 Feb 2018, 10:55

I've known Mr Gipp since we were at college together. One of the UK's top riders pre crash.....

My GF at the time moved to Glengormely so was over there quite a bit, usually flew over but the bike made it a few times :D

No I appreciate its not for everyone, I had a go at motocross when my boys started riding, that weren't for me at all. Same as cruisers, ridden a few, and chops, just not for me at all. My current hack is a Triumph Sprint RS, I love the engine, bucket loads of low down grunt, but the suspension? Certainly a budget build!! Put racetech springs and gold valve emulators in the front which improved it massively but the rear needs sorting as well. Out on the smoother A roads its superb, point it through Bawsey or similar, well lets just say its a better speed limit than any road sign! I built a zx12r streetfighter for a friend/customer..... Now that was an absolute hoot :-D :-D But if we all liked the same things it would be a dull place....
suzook12

Postby suzook12 » 20 Feb 2018, 11:05

This was the ZX12R streetfighter I built for a mate/customer, more fun than you could shake a stick at :D

Paint courtesy of Rich at DV8 on Austin Fields, so very much a King's Lynn bike
suzook12

Postby EWW » 20 Feb 2018, 11:36

In my 60 odd yrs of riding I have changed from GPO BSA telegram bikes to all british bikes old school names to all the rice burners. Trouble is
you have to change riding styles to accomodate the old body. Now it is cruisers just to keep me riding.

There is a picture of Rick in the EEB thread. Sad time when his sister was killed on a m/bike when some idiot came out of the Sandy Ln
track just before Knights hill. Did not stand a chance.
EWW

Postby suzook12 » 20 Feb 2018, 12:02

I never knew about that, and he has never mentioned it...... I must admit, watching him hit the wall at approx 170mph we all thought the worst then..... Fortunately, he came through it. You can imagine the horror of watching a crash at that speed and seeing the helmet roll across the track.
suzook12

Postby EWW » 20 Feb 2018, 12:07

On leaving the depot he used to ride like that up Wootton road. None of us thought he would make old bones.
EWW

Postby EWW » 13 May 2018, 09:00

Soon as I saw it in the showroom I had to buy it :smt007

EWW

Next

Return to SAY ANYTHING.