Walters, Norman, King's Lynn pilot.

Share and discuss your interest in History from all areas.

Walters, Norman, King's Lynn pilot.

Postby sergio5959 » 05 Nov 2013, 16:26

Dear King's Lynn Forums
I'am an historiacal aviation research ( for hobby not for job ) and I live in Lodi, North West Italy, near Milano.
I'm send this topic about this pilot that during ww2 died near my city:
Name: Walters, Norman
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve, 40 Sqdn
Date of Death:11/07/1944
Service n°: 1804807
Additional Information: Son of Harold and Hilda Walters, of King's Lynn, Norfolk.

Norman Walters, died in july 11, 1944. He crashed in northern Italy, near Milano with his aircraft: WELLINGTON X MF399, 40° SQDN RAF, 205 GROUP. Airport of departure: Regina, Italy. Crew:
Flight Sergeant (Pilot) WALTERS, NORMAN (RAF); Flight Sergeant (Air Gnr.) ELWORTHY, ARTHUR JAMES (RAF); Flight Sergeant (Nav) MABEY, ALBERT HORACE (RAF); Sergeant (W.Op./Air Gnr.) McKENZIE, ANDREW (RAF); Flight Sergeant (Air Bomber) ROSS, ALAN (RAF).
They are all buried in a collective grave in Milan War Cemetery. You see the web site of CWGC.

When I have discovered these episodes of the history of my city and I have remained impressed.
These episodes have been completely forgotten. On the place of crash there is not any headstone to memory of these episodes.
I would like to find:
-any documents about Norman Walters and his crew.
- any Photos of Norman Walters and his crew.
-any articles on newspaper.
- Someone to talk about Norman Walters and his crew.
Please can you help me? Please contact me to: kennedy2007@libero.it

Thank you very much

Sergio
sergio5959

Re: Walters, Norman, King's Lynn pilot.

Postby Alastair » 05 Nov 2013, 18:13

Welcome to the forum Sergio. I can't find out much about this crash online, but if the pilot was from King's Lynn his name may appear on one of the war memorials.

Service records are available to family members via Veterans UK and The National Archive, but aren't available to unrelated members of the public. So you'd need to find a living relation to ask for a copy of the service records. That would probably also be the only route for an image, unless you get lucky or if a newspaper archive search turns up a photo.

However, you can get the squadron operations record book (ORB) online via The National Archive. I think the relevant one is at the link below, it's the right squadron number (you need to be careful as The National Archive also holds records for a 40 Squadron of the South African Air Force as well), and covers the right date range (1944 July 01 - 1944 July 31):
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.u ... i=D8411614

It should show the details of the journey the aircraft was taking, when it took off, the weather conditions, who was on-board and details of any other aircraft on the same mission.
I choose to share some of my images with this forum, but please respect my wishes. View them where I display them and don't download, copy, print or use them to create other works without my written permission. I can provide prints if requested.
Alastair

Postby EWW » 05 Nov 2013, 21:33

We had a councillor called Clifford Walters or Waters cannot remember which.
If its Walters could be the same family.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby EWW » 06 Nov 2013, 23:18

Was told today by an ex councillor that it is Clifford Walters. Walters is no longer a councillor
as he lost his seat some time ago. I do not know where he lives or how Sergio could get in
touch with him to see if he is any relation to Norman Walters.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby desira37 » 07 Nov 2013, 13:43

I don't think Norman Walters was a Norfolk man. The only Harold Walters to marry a Hilda [ nee Gee ] was in Wolverhampton in 1922
they had a son Norman born 1924 Wolverhampton.
There isn't a Norman Walters on the King's Lynn war memorial either.
desira37

Postby Alastair » 07 Nov 2013, 16:25

This is a direct quote from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission entry..

Walters, Norman

Trade:Pilot##Service No:1804807
Date of Death:11/07/1944
Regiment/Service:Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve 40 Sqdn.
Grave Reference Coll. grave VI. E. 11-15.
Cemetery MILAN WAR CEMETERY
Additional Information:

Son of Harold and Hilda Walters, of King's Lynn, Norfolk.
I choose to share some of my images with this forum, but please respect my wishes. View them where I display them and don't download, copy, print or use them to create other works without my written permission. I can provide prints if requested.
Alastair

Postby EWW » 09 Nov 2013, 18:00

Have been in touch with Clifford Walters and unfortunately he is no relation to Norman. :(
EWW

Postby sergio5959 » 21 Feb 2014, 15:08

Sorry for delay
but for me it's hard to do research,
however, I also think that Norman Walters was born in Wolverhampton, as her parents.
I have found that Norman lived in King's Lynn, maybe he moved on to work with the parents, because he is named in the “Book of remembrance” (ref: King’s Lynn Borough Archives, unnumbered, book of remembrance, 1939-45):
“Walters, Norman, 106 Wootton Road, RAF.”

I then received from “Wolverhamton Civic and Historical Society” a document about “England Wales Probate calendar “with this text:
“Walters, Norman, 106 Wootton Road, King’ Lynn Norfolk, died or since on 11 July 1944 in war service Administration, Norwich 8 January to Harold Walters civil servant.”
The person Wolverhapton who sent me the file above added this comment:
“…I and had a quick look and found the will and probate record attached, seems their Norfolk connection is stronger than the Wolverhampton one….”
You what do you think?

However, I think that to find news about Norman still need to go to the library of King's Lynn to consult the newspapers of 1944, 1945.
In a similar situation about an another British airman who died July 13, 1944, the news of his death was published in the local newspaper in November 1944. This is because when an aviator did not return to the base he was declared missing and only when was sure that he was dead he was officially declared "killed in action" and the news was given to the family and officially published in the newspaper. All of this could also be done in a few months.
Many thanks for your help
Regards Sergio
sergio5959

Return to History from further afield