TOWER BRIDGE

Share and discuss your interest in History from all areas.

TOWER BRIDGE

Postby EWW » 12 Jan 2012, 10:45

Just had these sent to me. Not in right order but I find them very interesting (hope you do)

I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Re: TOWER BRIDGE

Postby EWW » 12 Jan 2012, 10:47

I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby rocker » 12 Jan 2012, 11:39

Absolutely brilliant pics and history.
rocker

Postby snake-eyes » 12 Jan 2012, 12:45

Hi
Interesting pictures but is the seventh picture of a different bridge, it looks to me like a suspension bridge being constructed, but my good lady is not convinced,Please help

:smt021 :smt021 :smt012
try everything once, if you dont like it once is enough
snake-eyes

Postby littleoldboy » 12 Jan 2012, 16:24

It is a suspension bridge snake eyes.
Either side of the central bascule section the bridge deck is suspended from another tower. You can just see this in picture one or look on google for current wider pictures showing the approaches

Little old boy
littleoldboy

Postby EWW » 12 Jan 2012, 16:51

LOB is right snake eyes, all the same bridge. Those pictures were found on a
building site and had been thrown away. I will post some of the text that went
with them a little later.
EWW

Postby snake-eyes » 12 Jan 2012, 17:17

Thanks LOB, have just looked on google and can see outer towers.
Now just have to appologise to her indoors :smt005
try everything once, if you dont like it once is enough
snake-eyes

Postby EWW » 14 Jan 2012, 10:48

This explains the story of the pictures. The funny coloured one was used in a film.

Never seen before: The pictures of London's Tower Bridge were found in a skip and then wrapped up in brown paper and put in a carrier bag under a bed.

The unique pictures, dating back to 1892, document the construction the iconic bridge, which at the time was a landmark feat of engineering nicknamed ‘The Wonder Bridge’. The discarded pictures, which were retrieved by a caretaker who was looking after a building being turned into flats in 2006, have spent the last five years in a carrier bag underneath his bed.

The 59 year-old, who wishes to remain anonymous, said that after the occupants of the Westminster office building moved out, the album and a number of documents were thrown into a skip outside. He said: "I took the ledgers to the Tower Bridge Museum because I thought they might have some historical value

A view of the bridge: The sturdy steel frame of the Tower Bridge can be seen, before it was covered with its distinctive stone-cladding on the orders of architect John Wolfe-Barry

They included records of the materials and used in the bridge's construction and what they cost. I told the man at the museum that I had also found some photos but he told me they already had plenty of those. I didn't know what to do with them so I wrapped them in some brown paper and put them in a bag under the bed".

It wasn't until earlier this month, when the owner of the photos mentioned them to his neighbour, City of Westminster tour guide Peter Berthoud that the significance of the find fully emerged. Mr Berthoud, an expert in the history of London who gives guided tours around famous landmarks including the Tower Bridge, said that he was gobsmacked by the haul.

Sepia to silver screen: The incomplete Tower Bridge features in the 2009 film Sherlock Holmes, where Holmes battles with his adversary Lord Henry Blackwood

Transformation: The bridge took eight years to build and at the time was a landmark feat of engineering, combining elements of a suspension and high level bridge and a bascule

It combines elements of a suspension bridge, a high level bridge and a bascule which allows it to open for ships to pass. Nothing had ever been made like it before and nothing since. People are always surprised when I tell them they the Tower Bridge is a steel bridge, as the stone cladding is so recognisable".

According to the tour guide, the bridge's original architect, Horace Jones, wanted to clad the bridge in brick but following his death he was succeeded as architect by John Wolfe-Barry, who decreed the bridge should be clad in stone

Unique: Many of the 50 sepia prints are in good condition, despite dating back to 1892. Several are even dated, making it possible to trace the progress in construction

Although many of the century-old pictures are in a state of disrepair, around 20 are in good condition. Many of the 12 by 10 snaps are dated and clearly show how the bridge was put together over a space of eight years. Memorable scenes include turn-of-the-century labourers taking orders from a site foreman in a bowler hat and a shot if the bridge's original steam-powered engine room, which could open the bridge in less than a minute. In one poignant picture flags decorate the body of the bridge and a hand-written pencil note reads: ‘Note, flags denote Mr Hunter's wedding day’.

Mr Berthoud said: "My favourite pictures are of the simple, humble guys building the bridge, unaware that what they are making will be so historic. People are used to seeing images of the Empire State Building being built but this is part of British history being created 50 years earlier".

EWW

Postby Beauts » 29 Apr 2013, 19:45

Thanks EWW

Only just seen them and what a wonderful collection.

British engineering at its best

I've always loved the design and i saw a program on engineering on the tele, which was also filmed inside the towers.

great collection and thanks to all those who thought to save them and publish them.
making todays events
our future memories
Beauts

Return to History from further afield