Where is it ?

Share and discuss your interest in History from all areas.

Where is it ?

Postby Appso » 07 Mar 2011, 19:21

Probably taken early 1980s, where is it please?

Appso

Re: Where is it ?

Postby David Riches » 07 Mar 2011, 19:38

I'll take a guess at Norfolk Street but i bet i'm wrong.
David Riches

Postby Alastair » 07 Mar 2011, 19:50

Looks like the reflection of the Woolwich Bank in the window.
I choose to share some of my images with this forum, but please respect my wishes. View them where I display them and don't download, copy, print or use them to create other works without my written permission. I can provide prints if requested.
Alastair

Postby rospaul » 07 Mar 2011, 21:03

:smt017 ...... I think the empty shop is next to the old cinema in Downham High St ?

:smt006
Remember yesterday, dream about tomorrow, but live for today".
(Paul the dog walker)
rospaul

Postby EWW » 07 Mar 2011, 21:04

I cannot think of anywhere that had steps like that, a lamp, and exit in the stonework.

I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby EWW » 07 Mar 2011, 21:14

I have reversed the other shop name reflected and do not know of any shop
of that name in lynn. I think RP may be right.

I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby bryemycaz » 07 Mar 2011, 22:03

Its not Downham if you look on Streetview the old cinema is nothing like that. I think this is either Ely or Wisbech as if thats a cinema next door ive got a book on norfolk cinemas. None of them look like that Exit door.
bryemycaz

Postby teddybear1959 » 08 Mar 2011, 00:03

Can you read the sign in the window on the original? The removed letters over the shop too, the copy is very poor, but the original could be readable?

Teddy
:wink:
I am very interested in local history of mid-Norfolk and I have lots of connections to families in the Lynn area. http://www.norfolk-tours.co.uk/
teddybear1959

Postby incony » 08 Mar 2011, 22:26

the sign remains, suggest five distinct words, i think. That suggests, they either described what was being sold, or perhaps including the sellers name, since five words is a lot for just one descriptive name.. and the small letters,the main company and telephone number.. and perhaps even the abbreviated address..

Then there is the indistinct lettering, and that suggests to me, a neon sign, but there is no evidence of its power supply entrance/exit.
Its a busy main road, with double yellow lines, and reflections of bicycle(s) and people,in the tobacconist window next door, not specifically a tobacconist, but the signs suggest it.. they are exclusive, no newspaper signs, and perhaps selling things related... not specifically a shop selling groceries , there are no adverts for those.. just tobacco..
i agree its late 70`s early eighties, because of the reflection of the ford van.. ? its near a car park.. the sign is reflected..

Its a well known street, because the doors have no evidence of numbering, and its an old street, those are victorian shopfronts..

The problem with the exit sign, is that it may no longer relate to the original function..its just there still.

i can find no info of N TOBIASS, or the location of the Woolwich branches in that era.. but certainly, an approach to the Woolwich archive, might reveal it. They have one..

Why is the picture important to you Appso? that may reveal its history by relation...
incony

Postby Appso » 09 Mar 2011, 12:42

I put this picture on here because I did not know where it was, the next negative on that strip was of Woodcocks in Lynn High Street,
so thought this might be Lynn. My son came to the rescue, it is a picture I took for him. The words removed from the facia were;
Eastern Counties Omnibus Company Limited and was in the centre of March, Cambs. Sorry about that.
Appso

Postby bryemycaz » 09 Mar 2011, 17:48

Well I wasn't far out with Ely or Wisbech. :-D inbetween the two
bryemycaz

Postby incony » 09 Mar 2011, 19:39

It is still there,looking very much the same, complete with the exit sign et al.. but the tobacconist/ store has gone..

This picture from google maps, shows it , at the end of Darthill Road, its now a charity shop, but little has changed... :)

You were standing about the T junction there when you took the photo...

why did Eastern Counties Omnibus have an office there? its an odd location.. no parking, no good bus junction... not in the real centre of March at all..

I started my search looking at the high street, and around the hippodrome.. .but nope... it was Darthill road..30 years perhaps,or thirty seconds.. been there, done that.. isnt history great?
incony

Postby bryemycaz » 09 Mar 2011, 21:57

incony wrote:It is still there,looking very much the same, complete with the exit sign et al.. but the tobacconist/ store has gone..

This picture from google maps, shows it , at the end of Darthill Road, its now a charity shop, but little has changed... :)

You were standing about the T junction there when you took the photo...

why did Eastern Counties Omnibus have an office there? its an odd location.. no parking, no good bus junction... not in the real centre of March at all..

I started my search looking at the high street, and around the hippodrome.. .but nope... it was Darthill road..30 years perhaps,or thirty seconds.. been there, done that.. isnt history great?

Beat me to it I tried but ran out of time
bryemycaz

Postby bryemycaz » 09 Mar 2011, 22:06

I wonder what the building with the Exit sign was. on google maps one of the doors has Pit Entrance over it. I doubt they were Mining anything there :-D
bryemycaz

Postby delbert » 09 Mar 2011, 22:12

could have been cinema or theatre :wink:
"go placidly amid the noise and haste"
delbert

Next

Return to History from further afield