Help needed - Sedgeford

Share and discuss your interest in History from all areas.

Help needed - Sedgeford

Postby greenman22 » 07 Mar 2010, 16:26

Does anyone know where 'Wash pit' was within Sedgeford village? There seems to have been a few cottages at this address.

Greenman22 :mrgreen:
Last edited by greenman22 on 09 Mar 2010, 15:07, edited 1 time in total.
Norfolk family names being researched;

Potter, Turner, Tee
Belson, Hart, Lake
Crisp, Youdell, Creek
Browne, Heugh, Skoyles
Barcock, Norman, Sadd
CAN YOU HELP ME WITH ANY OF THESE NAMES?
greenman22

Re: Help need - Sedgeford

Postby teddybear1959 » 07 Mar 2010, 18:11

If only you had posted this yesterday!!! I was at the William IV for lunch today (and a very good lunch it was too!) I could have asked!

I take it that this is from a census? Can you not see where it was by finding a point that you know and follow around the village? If not, I am in the NRO next Thursday and I will see if I can find anything.

Teddy
:wink:
I am very interested in local history of mid-Norfolk and I have lots of connections to families in the Lynn area. http://www.norfolk-tours.co.uk/
teddybear1959

Postby EWW » 07 Mar 2010, 19:56

If you put WASHPIT SEDGEFORD in google maps it takes you straight there Gman.
I think it must be where you are after. It is just at the bottom of the hill beside
the King Willy.

Washpit Cottage
Sedgeford, Hunstanton, Norfolk PE36 5LY, UK
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby greenman22 » 07 Mar 2010, 20:30

cheers eew, the info was from the 1861 census. l did not think it would still be a present address. Will have to check out the address when i'm up that way in August. Will also have to google Bridge Row, Sedgeford and see what happens. Thanks again.

Potter, Turner, Tee
Belson, Hart, Lake
Crisp, Youdell, Creek
Browne, Heugh, Skoyles
Barcock, Norman, Sadd
greenman22

Postby EWW » 08 Mar 2010, 09:48

If you put any address in the search bar of Google maps along with the post code
it will take you straight to that address. Try it on your own as a test. I use it on
here when adding addresses to the "WHERE IN THE WORLD" feature now running.
It even works when I put addresses in for the USA (zip code needed)
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby greenman22 » 08 Mar 2010, 19:15

the funny thing is with lots of old london addresses they have gone or the road names changed ( pettycoat lane is now middlesex street etc). so l took it that rural addresses faired the same fate. so l never bothered to check google maps etc.

l wonder when google street view will get to norfolk?

Potter, Turner, Tee
Belson, Hart, Lake
Crisp, Youdell, Creek
Browne, Heugh, Skoyles
Barcock, Norman, Sadd
greenman22

Re: Help needed - Sedgeford

Postby timmeroo » 28 Mar 2011, 19:17

Did you get to find it? The Washpit itself is the wider part of the river on the East side of the main Snettisham Road bridge. I think the name got transposed from the field on the opposite side cornering Church Lane - since been built on these past 15-20 yrs.
The Washpit Cottages name again got transposed to the two semi-detached cottages seen on the road island of Snett Rd Hill, Church Lane and Holly Hill (I used to live there). This was once the Sedgeford Poor House and consisted of a row of 4 cottages that butted right up agin the main rd. The 'garage' is all that remains of the third cottage, the 4th gone due to condemning in 1960. The original Washpit cottages occupied the spaces where two moderrn houses now stand immediately above (north) and north-east of The Washpit itself and I believe they consisted of 4 cottages apiece.
If I get round to it I'm sure we have an old photo I can append herewith. :)
Additional: The Washpit name itself I think derives from the pit in which sheep were driven through to be washed.
Edit Additional:
ImageThe widening part of the river in the foreground is The Washpit. The cottage to the left still stands called The Nest or Nestleford Cottage; the row of cottages to the far right were pulled down back in the early/mid 60's as were the middle row. These were the original Washpit Cotts. The name has remained appended to the aforementioned once Poor House (Town House) of Sedgeford.
The building seen in the background between the two rows is The King William (IV) pub
timmeroo

Re: Help needed - Sedgeford Round Houses

Postby Laurian » 30 Apr 2017, 13:22

I am doing research into the Herring family, whom the 1829 census shows to be living in one of two Round Houses in the Washpit area. Can anyone tell me what these Round Houses were? My grandfather Albert Herring, who came to South Africa around 1890, is recorded as living with his parents and siblings at the Washpit in 1881. I am trying to build up a picture of his early life and I was delighted to see this photograph, although perhaps taken at a later date.
Laurian

Re: Help needed - Sedgeford

Postby EWW » 30 Apr 2017, 15:41

I think Washpits were mainly used in the digging and making of bricks. Perhaps the cottages were for the clay diggers,
or the brickmakers if they were not one and the same.
EWW

Re: Help needed - Sedgeford Round Houses

Postby timmeroo » 27 Nov 2020, 01:08

Laurian wrote:I am doing research into the Herring family, whom the 1829 census shows to be living in one of two Round Houses in the Washpit area. Can anyone tell me what these Round Houses were? My grandfather Albert Herring, who came to South Africa around 1890, is recorded as living with his parents and siblings at the Washpit in 1881. I am trying to build up a picture of his early life and I was delighted to see this photograph, although perhaps taken at a later date.

Sorry, been a while since I perused these pages. Herrings at one time lived in Jacob's Folly which is a house that stands immediately NW of the Snettisham Rd/Heacham Rd junction. I have an idea that there was some kind of a round house there at one time.

EWW wrote:I think Washpits were mainly used in the digging and making of bricks. Perhaps the cottages were for the clay diggers,
or the brickmakers if they were not one and the same.

Not aware of a brick making industry in Sedgeford of yore, even as a small concern. There were the Heacham Bricks which were as solid and hard as an engineering brick.
timmeroo

Return to History from further afield