A King's Lynn man fighting against the British

Share and discuss your interest in History from all areas.

A King's Lynn man fighting against the British

Postby baobab » 24 Apr 2020, 16:22

I came across this while transcribing an article about the experiences of Surgeon-captain P. J. Probyn, D.S.O., Royal Army Medical Corps, in South Africa during the Boer War (1899-1902). He was from Pontypool, South Wales. The following appeared in The Weekly Mail, 23rd August 1902.

"On one occasion when he was out searching for the wounded [at night] ……… two Boers left their trenches, and on learning that he was a doctor asked him to go into the trench to attend a wounded officer. He took them up to the [British] general, who gave the captain permission to enter the laager. When they attempted to enter the laager a fusillade was opened upon them, and the captain at once lay on the ground until the firing had ceased, and escaped unhurt. The two Boers he subsequently found lying on the banks of the river, looking as white as a sheet, and to his astonishment one turned out to be an Englishman from King's Lynn, Norfolk, and the other a brother to the surveyor-general at Bloemfontein."

So who was the man from King's Lynn?
baobab

Re: A King's Lynn man fighting against the British

Postby EWW » 25 Apr 2020, 11:19

Cannot find anything as yet... but its early doors. Do you know the surveyor-generals name as searching him may turn up something.
Bit of a longshot though. My father told me he got a half day off school to celebrate the wars end. There are pictures on here of the parade
through the town with the soldiers and kids in attendence. In this link. viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1365
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Re: A King's Lynn man fighting against the British

Postby baobab » 25 Apr 2020, 15:48

The best I can come up with is that in 1903 the Surveyor-general in Bloemfontein was Mr Burnett Thomas.
baobab

Return to History from further afield