WW1medals

Share and discuss your interest in History from all areas.

WW1medals

Postby Tresagreen » 10 May 2019, 15:24

Hello folks, need some help please. Found these medals recently and would like to discover who owned them. It would be good to trace some relatives if possible. Around the edges of the medals it reads 1. A-1754 Pte A Holman. KRRC. 2. DM2 171164 Pte W.C. Holman ASC. The cap badge is from the Dorsetshire regiment, but I know men were deployed to regiments outside their own county. I believe they were brothers, but cannot find out where they came from. I do know that A is Alfred, but not W.C. I don't think they were Norfolk men, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks, T

Tresagreen

Re: WW1medals

Postby EWW » 10 May 2019, 19:01

Do not know who they are be we have A F Holman in Lynn. Could be a relative.

I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby Tresagreen » 10 May 2019, 19:38

Thanks Ew, could be worth a visit next time I am in Lynn.
Tresagreen

Postby nickc » 12 May 2019, 07:22

Hi,
I have looked at the medal card references on ancestry.
Private A Holman was a rifleman with the Kings Royal Rifle Corps.
Private William C Holman was in the Army Service Corps. This may possibly indicate that he was an older man.
I will look again when I get a chance, but service records do not seem to have survived for either man.
Could I ask how you knew that the christian name was Alfred and whether the Dorset badge was with the medals?

Nick.
nickc

Postby Tresagreen » 12 May 2019, 08:48

Hi Nick, thanks for your reply. I found out what A Holmans Christian name was by searching for his service number and typing in Pte A Holman KRRC. It came up with the name Alfred. I then discovered Williams name by doing the same but putting Army Service Corps in place of KRRC. The cap badge was with the medals. I knew it was from the Dorsetshire regiment, because there was a similar request about another cap badge from one of our other forum members. Apparently, because there is a Military Star for Alfred, it means he was one of the first to go out there (France) with the so called British Expeditionary Force. I would love to find out where they came from, in case there are any relatives still alive. Thanks again for your reply and any help you can offer. T
Tresagreen

Postby nickc » 12 May 2019, 12:18

Hi,
Yes, Alfred was in France, from 19th May 1915 according to his medal card. The fact that William did not qualify for the star probably means he did not serve abroad, which supports my theory that he could have been older. There is a reference to Alfred on the Hanslope roll of honour [link below] which indicates that he was from that parish. There is also a Thomas listed there too who could perhaps be a brother. With war memorials, and I expect the same applies to roll of honour, there were no hard and fast rules for who would be listed. So Alfred may have been born in Hanslope and long since moved away, or perhaps he was born elsewhere, but lived there, or maybe he married a Hanslope woman, or......

Neither Alfred nor William served with the Dorsetshire Reg, but we had other badges in our family collection that weren't strictly relevant - I suspect friends sometimes gave each other badges, but they sometimes send you on a wild goose chase! I spent ages trying to find a link with the Royal Engineers as we had a badge of theirs. It turned out my aunt was with the Womens Auxillary Corps and was attached to the Royal Engineers.

I have tried a brief ancestry search on Holman born or lived in Hanslope without success, but pursuing that line is an option.

Nick.

http://www.mkheritage.org.uk/hdhs/roll-of-honour/
nickc

Postby nickc » 12 May 2019, 12:31

Hi again!
I've just looked into the badge - it is from the Kings Royal Rifle Corps, so that ties in with Alfred.
Nick.
nickc

Postby Tresagreen » 12 May 2019, 13:02

Hi again Nick, thanks so much for the information. I was given completely wrong details, Alfred was not with the British Expeditionary force, as they went out in 1914 ( my Grandfather was one who went and had the 1914 star) and Alfred had the 14/15 one. Having looked at the cap badge again and tied it up with your findings on Hanslope, it could be the Buckinghamshire regiment as the badges are very similar. I live in Northamptonshire now, and my late mother in law was born in Hanslope. As I have no idea where the medals came from, it could be they were members of her family. I shall keep digging, thanks for your help so far. T........a post script..... have now discovered that Alfred and William were my mother in laws uncles, so the medals have been with the right family all the time! They had a sister also, called Alice and lived in Tathall end Hanslope. I'm so grateful for your help, if you hadn't mentioned Hanslope, we would never have found them and have now got so much more information about my mother in laws family. Information which has been a mystery for many years. Thanks again , regards. T :)
Last edited by Tresagreen on 14 May 2019, 06:13, edited 1 time in total.
Tresagreen

Postby nickc » 13 May 2019, 17:47

Hi,
No problem, I was happy to be able to help. Problems like this are addictive, they just have to be solved somehow!
Nick.
nickc

Return to History from further afield