Background music with videos

Got a problem? need some help? Ask away, help on using this forum, consumer advice, computer problems.anything! Somebody out there just might be able to help.
Help with registration can also be found here.

Background music with videos

Postby Emmo » 13 Oct 2018, 13:55

Hi All, I enjoy making slideshows/videos, while I think it is Ok to use well known songs and Artists in your own home, I need to know something. What if a club were to ask you to play a couple of short shows to them (but for no gain ) would that be Ok, as I`m led to believe it`s risky. My question is, a guy who has a Disco is playing about 50 or 60 songs a night of the same artists, so what is the difference ( and he is getting paid ) What do you people think or know.
Emmo

Re: Background music with videos

Postby EWW » 13 Oct 2018, 16:41

Where he is playing them should hold a music licence from the PRS (Performing Rights Society) Very high
penalties can be levied by the PRS if you do not have one. I have walked past the PRS building in London
many times and it is vast. The artists, producers, and writers all get a cut of that licence fee. The BBC
and other tv companies that show football matches or any other sport where the crowd are singing a
well known song, the BBC ect have to pay the PRS a fee every time it is played. They go as far as to
edit out the songs when they show highlights of the games to cut down costs.

How do I know this. I have a nephew who works for a TV company :D
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby Emmo » 13 Oct 2018, 17:20

So what is the answer for us slide showers. I have seen like you I`m sure some slide show come videos of King`s Lynn on Utube with background music. All made by an amateur like me, and when you click onto it, it has been on for a number of years with people commenting how much they have enjoyed it. One is by Valerie Haberland.
Emmo

Postby EWW » 13 Oct 2018, 19:25

If it was me putting on a show I would go ahead and do it EMMO. Its the club licence thing I was mainly alluding to.

I gave very many slideshows for True's yard in clubs but never used any music. I think most clubs when they
apply for a licence from the council have to prove they have or will have an entertainment licence.

If its local, any chance of coming along? PM the answer.

PS A friend of mine added a track by Chrissie Hynde to a youtube video of him and his
family on holiday and he was forced to remove it under threat of prosecution.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Return to Help!