Large Hedge responsibility

Got a problem? need some help? Ask away, help on using this forum, consumer advice, computer problems.anything! Somebody out there just might be able to help.
Help with registration can also be found here.

Large Hedge responsibility

Postby collectors » 28 Jul 2017, 11:02

Hi, i fortunately/unfortunately have a long hawthorn "70met" hedge in my back garden that runs between my garden & a private road on the other side around 5 private property's on the other side. Apparently the road it self belongs to just one of the property's. I was told that the hedge was put in some 20+ years ago when this private estate was built. I would assume they are responsible for it. Would you think they are responsible for my side? as its 70x3.5met in size & getting to much for me.
When i 1st moved in i got a local with a tractor Flail trimmed to cut it, & he did a nice job, but with a massive amount of mess & a couple of punctures with the sharp hawthorn. So best not to go down that route.
But legally who is responsible. ??

Thanks
collectors

Re: Large Hedge responsibility

Postby desira37 » 28 Jul 2017, 11:29

If your deeds to the property are with a solicitor I would have a word with them. That's what we did when our neighbour wanted to take out the drain pipe and replace it with a plastic one to match her new guttering. As we have lived here since bungalows were built and the soak away is on our front garden we have always maintained it and kept it painted black regardless of the guttering colour.
I hate hedges and can never understand why people make themselves so much work keeping them maintained.
Hope you find an answer to your problem.
desira37

Return to Help!