Old Quarry

Got a problem? need some help? Ask away, help on using this forum, consumer advice, computer problems.anything! Somebody out there just might be able to help.
Help with registration can also be found here.

Re: Old Quarry

Postby cws196 » 27 Jan 2015, 11:36

Killers2 - so just to clarify, you were given/sent the photo recently and was told it was taken in the local area and know for certain the photo was taken in December 2014?

It does look like the area around Bawsey/Leziate, but I would find it hard to belive that if the dragline was something to do with the quarry/BIS/Sibelco, it would have long since been removed if it was on the land they manage, as they always seem quite sharp on clearing up when they've finished in an area.

Pretty certain it isn't anywhere around Roydon as I've biked around that area (off-road) extensively and never come across anywhere looking like this. Could it be somewhere in between Leziate and East Winch/Middleton? Just looking at an OS map online and I can see a copse named 'Mineral Plantation' near Grandcourt Farm. Could this be the wood/farm mentioned above? A right-of-way passes both of these so may have to go and investigate this weekend...
cws196

Postby cws196 » 27 Jan 2015, 11:43

Looking at aerial views of Mineral Plantation via Bing maps certainly looks promising!
cws196

Postby killers2 » 27 Jan 2015, 21:13

I was contacted by a chap called Michael Dix who use to work at the Quarry and said there use to be some Atkinson Ex gritters used there (back in the 80's/90's), But he didnt give me the location just it was in the Kings lynn (ish) area, he went back just before xmas and took the photo of the old Ruston digger. He later returned but couldnt find any other vehicles, but did speak to some locals that said they had been moved to this wood next to a farm by the farm owner and were still there 5yrs ago, so he went for a look and found they had been scrapped a year or two back, but still didnt say were this was....My interest is i own 3 Atkinson Gritters and im always on the look out for anymore survivers.... :-)
killers2

Postby cws196 » 27 Jan 2015, 22:22

Thanks Killers2.

My bet is that it is the area I mentioned above - Mineral Plantation/Grandcourt Farm. I shall try and get out there on my mountain bike to take a look this Friday - will report back then!
cws196

Postby cws196 » 27 Jan 2015, 22:33

Just looking at the aerial views via Bing.com maps (more up-to-date than Google). If you trace the sandline rail line to where it now ends, there's a sandy clearing surrounding by trees, just north of the end of the rail line - looks like there could be some machinery parked up here and this could be the spot.
cws196

Postby killers2 » 27 Jan 2015, 22:39

That would be great if you could go and have a look, Much Appriciated, as i said the chap that contacted me is a bit shadey on the location for some reason..... Thank You :D
killers2

Postby MJR » 28 Jan 2015, 12:05

cws196 wrote:My bet is that it is the area I mentioned above - Mineral Plantation/Grandcourt Farm. I shall try and get out there on my mountain bike to take a look this Friday - will report back then!

Good thinking! The area around Tower Lane is more like the photo than the Bawsey pits, too. It's been ages since I tried riding Tower Lane because it only connects back to Blackborough End East Winch Road and there's easier (tarmac not sand) ways to get there.
MJR

Postby EWW » 28 Jan 2015, 12:13

The little cottages on the right hand side of Tower Ln is where my grandfather was born
in 1859. I did not know you could get all the way through the lane.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby cws196 » 28 Jan 2015, 12:33

According to the OS map, you can go down tower lane (runs paralell with the sandline) then it turns southwards and you eventually come out on the A47, in between Middleton and East Winch. I'm sure I've ridden this track before, come to think of it!
cws196

Postby EWW » 28 Jan 2015, 14:31

I will check it out sometime. Thanks.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby Alastair » 29 Jan 2015, 16:25

It took several hours research this week - online, with maps and history books - followed by a cold walk this morning, but I can confirm that the R-B shovel is still there. It's not in great condition, but there's minimal graffiti or vandalism so it's probably best not to speculate too much on where it might as this forum is public.

There's still a bit more research to do on the history of the quarry and to determine the landowner. It would be nice to get permission to make a record of the machine as it merges back into the landscape.
I choose to share some of my images with this forum, but please respect my wishes. View them where I display them and don't download, copy, print or use them to create other works without my written permission. I can provide prints if requested.
Alastair

Postby killers2 » 29 Jan 2015, 21:36

Thats Fantastic Alastair, Totally understand not saying were it is....Thank you for taking the time to look and take pics....

Cheers :D :lol:
killers2

Postby Alastair » 30 Jan 2015, 14:35

killers2 wrote:Just a quick update, apparently the old Gritters were dragged out of the quarry when it closed and were kept in a wood next to an old farm,they were still there 5yrs ago but sadly they have been cut up just a couple of years back.... :-(

I've been looking at some additional aerial photograph resources. The phrase "a couple of years back" might be a period of time going further back than you'd hoped.

Between the late 1980's and some time around the turn of the millennium there were three rigid wheelbase dumper trucks parked up in an area that matches the description Paul has given - but not in the quarry itself, I had to extend the search area quite a way to pick them up. It's impossible to make out whether they're 4- or 6-wheelers, but they're around that sort of size and they don't move between images over a decade apart. By the end if the noughties they've gone completely. Incidentally, for the whole of the same period the R-B shovel doesn't move either.

My guess is that they might have made it past the millennium, but were most probably cut up very shortly after.

Apparently there was another R-B shovel abandoned at Snettisham, there's some documentary evidence of this but no photos that I have found.
I choose to share some of my images with this forum, but please respect my wishes. View them where I display them and don't download, copy, print or use them to create other works without my written permission. I can provide prints if requested.
Alastair

Postby EWW » 30 Jan 2015, 15:35

There was at one time some old trucks of the same discription standing in the yard
that was Middleton station at one time. I think a Mr Howard owned that yard and he
hires out all sorts of road working lorries and equipment. They went years ago though.
EWW

Postby cws196 » 31 Jan 2015, 14:32

Well done Alastair, I'm very interested to know how you managed to do your reserach and what your sources were?

I did take a ride down Tower Lane yesterday morning and the dragline isn't anywhere near where the bridleway runs. Having looked around I'm pretty certain it is in the area I thought (clearing just north of the end of the sandline), which can't be accessed easiley.....
cws196

PreviousNext

Return to Help!