Dewhurst's "Sylko" Cotton Threads - Ceased When ?

Got a problem? need some help? Ask away, help on using this forum, consumer advice, computer problems.anything! Somebody out there just might be able to help.
Help with registration can also be found here.

Dewhurst's "Sylko" Cotton Threads - Ceased When ?

Postby Hornchurch » 18 Jul 2019, 07:47

'

Being a geezer I try (where possible) to avoid needle & cotton stitching - we are talking once every 7-10 years at best :lol:

Anyways, today WAS one of those 'once in a decade' moments when a needle & thread were required.

As I don't carry or possess that kinda stuff, I asked, whilst round my folks house "if" I could blag some.....

Reels of "SYLKO" appeared, Mid-Olive Green, Ivy Green, Jubilee-Silver, but alas NONE of the shade I wanted - Regular Dk.Navy-Blue.

I decided there & then, that once I was at home, I'd go on the internet/laptop/E-bay UK, then BUY myself some 'Sylko' Navy-Blue.

Phah !!!! - All that came-up were regular auction stuff, pretty-much no 'Buy-It-Now' & clearly evidently no "new" fresh stuff.

So, it would appear that "Sylko" as a brand have bitten the dust ????

As a kid, I naturally used to get ripped-jeans (climbing trees, scaling-walls, as male-kids do), so I recall the "Sylko" brand from childhood.

I guess in my post-half-century naivete I still expected that seemingly ubiquitous famous brand to still be going, but it appears not ????

So, when did they fold-up & cease production ??

Were they (ever), absorbed into another company, a-la "Rowntree-Mackintosh" vis-a-vis "Nestle" ??

ALL the reels left (seemingly), on E-bay UK are of ancient production & always colours & shades ya don't NEED.

My main-thing is, I'd just like to know what happened to "Sylko", as there seems no info' on the net'.

Best thing I found, was here https://www.retrospectro.co.uk/2018/11/22/dating-sylko-cotton-reels/ but it still doesn't tell me.

Seems to me that it's yet another case of....... "things were better years ago", that seems to be cropping up far too-often these days. :(

If anyone knows WHAT(ever) happened to "Sylko", please chime-up & tell me "if" they got absorbed (?) & if so, who by ?

Also, assuming they folded, which year was their 'finale' ?

EWW - I wasn't sure which section to post this in - the 'help' section seemed appropriate - If not, perhaps you'll place it suitably....
Hornchurch

Re: Dewhurst's "Sylko" Cotton Threads - Ceased When ?

Postby EWW » 18 Jul 2019, 08:11

Its just fine. Had a look online and it says that the COATS SYLKO Company is still going. Do not know if thats what you want though.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby Tresagreen » 18 Jul 2019, 11:35

Any help?
Tresagreen

Postby Hornchurch » 21 Jul 2019, 02:08

EWW wrote:
Its just fine. Had a look online and it says that the COATS SYLKO Company is still going.

EWW :: Many thanks for ensuring it landed "in the right zone" of posting....

Tresagreen wrote:
Any help?

'

Wow ;; Tresagreen, "Any Help?" = ARE YOU KIDDING ????

Mate, that is SUPERB & basically answers any (or all), questions that I have, regarding "Sylko" & it's subsequent paths & (mis)-fortunes !!!!!!

It's interesting to note, that, whilst I've not photographed any of them yet, there WERE, inside my folks cache, a few Tootal & Coates, reels & threads.

Obviously, "Sylko" predominates within that eclectic bunch they have & "YES", they were certainly THE only manufacturers that I'd ever heard of.

Given that they were (clearly), a tour-de-force & staple diet/cannon-fodder of most sewers & machinists of the 1950's/1960's/1970's..... well....

I most certainly thought that there would be far more, much more information on them, via the internet, than there actually is.

Honestly Tresagreen, you've "hit the jackpot" as far as I can see, regarding "Sylko" potted-history & their subsequent "killing-off"/annexation, by Coates.

(My, 'Are You Kidding' remark, insinuating minor understatement :-D )

Many thanks indeed for providing the info' that I wanted, cheers !

Hornchurch

Postby EWW » 21 Jul 2019, 07:28

I found this site very interesting. I think Ms Greens text may have come from it.

https://sewalot.com/sewing_machine_threads.htm
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby Tresagreen » 21 Jul 2019, 07:46

Yes EW they did and here is bit more for you Hornchurch. Very pleased to have made you so happy!!! :lol:
Ps pictures the wrong way round sorry, read the bottom one first!

Tresagreen

Postby Tresagreen » 21 Jul 2019, 08:41

Hornchurch, you probably have enough info by now, but SHOULD you want more, Google Dewhursts sewing threads and click on Graces Guide. There is a whole lot about the history of Dewhursts and Sylko. T

Tresagreen

Postby Tresagreen » 22 Jul 2019, 12:31

Hi Hornchurch, have news for you, check your pm box. Teri
Tresagreen

Postby Hornchurch » 23 Jul 2019, 00:00

Tresagreen wrote:
Hi Hornchurch, have news for you, check your pm box. Teri

'

Many thanks Teri for your kindly P.M. - Have duly responded, cheers for the 'heads-up' & respective shout....

Hornchurch

Postby Tresagreen » 23 Jul 2019, 08:57

Hi Hornhurch, would you believe still in its original wrapper. T

Tresagreen

Postby Hornchurch » 24 Jul 2019, 05:26

Tresagreen wrote:

Hi Hornhurch, would you believe still in its original wrapper. T

You did well there, scoring that one - It has the same style/age logo(s) that some in my folks stash are labelled with too...(although some ARE older) :wink:

Hornchurch

Postby Tresagreen » 29 Jul 2019, 16:51

John Bonny Dewhurst, grandson of Thomas Dewhurst who started the original factory. Thomas had two sons, one of whom John, has his name on the cotton reels. If you google 'rajahs granddaughter john dewhurst ' there's a whole heap of info on all the factory history. T

Tresagreen

Return to Help!