WALK

Got any photos or videos from around the local area that you would like to share? Post them here.

Re: WALK

Postby EWW » 03 Jun 2020, 10:17

I have long admired this house that is opposite Wolferton station. I think a (not sure of the spelling) Mr Wooll who was a teacher at Gaywood park school
lived there at one time. Not sure if he owned it, or just lodged there.

I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby EWW » 15 Jun 2020, 16:14

Went for a walk along the old Grimston railway line and came across this gatehouse in the woods.

Deeper into the woods we found this horse trying to play hide and seek with us. It was a really nice walk today

I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby EWW » 12 Jul 2020, 19:40

Out for a walk today at sunny Hunny I took this picture of the cliffs. I do not normally take the cliffs but have a new phone so thought
I would try it out. I think it is a lot better camera than my old phone. It did not come out to bad because I could not see the screen
with the sun directly on it.

EWW

Postby EWW » 19 Jul 2020, 20:23

From our walk today. Where is it. The last one may give the game away to you sportsmen/women out there.

I played on this square a few times.
EWW

Postby EWW » 29 Jul 2020, 20:07

Our walk today was at ???

This place serves the best sausage rolls on the planet :)

EWW

Postby EWW » 02 Aug 2020, 07:46

We had the whole of the picnic area at Ringstead Downs to ourselves today. We did not see any other people at all.

EWW

Postby EWW » 07 Aug 2020, 08:57

Back to our usual walk along Hunstanton prom this week. These rocks have always facinated me and when young I thought they were man made.
They have been there for millions of years and must be something hard to not have been eroded away over time.

EWW

Postby pspooner » 08 Aug 2020, 17:32

I have spent many happy hours on a weekend puttering around in the tidal pools around those hummocks. My parents would set up a spot on the beach under the cliffs (amazingly oblivious to the danger!) and read or nap and I would be totally content with 'nature study' all day. My mother would take me out to the sands to cockle a little bit. We'd take our finds home for tea. Lovely memories! Thanks for posting.
pspooner

Postby littleoldboy » 09 Aug 2020, 09:38

Perhaps someone can explain the rock formation, they do look regular in your photo. My mate's family had a beach hut at Old Hunstanton, and we were drawn down to the rock pools like magnets. We used to block up the streams between the rocks as the tide went out only to have our efforts destroyed as the tide came back in. Hours of pointless endeavour. Kids today don't know how to waste time properly
Little Old Boy
littleoldboy

Postby EWW » 09 Aug 2020, 09:59

This is all I have come up with. Every answer to this question came up with the same thing. NO they did not know the answer. Still looking.

Does anyone know the origin of the rounded rocks on the beach just north of the town (some seaweed covered) that are washed by every tide? They are a bit like the tessellated pavement at Eaglehawk Neck in Tasmania. (It is in Tripadvisor)

I have searched widely and can only find references to how strange these rocks are; and many many references to the cliffs. The only references to tessellated and Hunstanton are of mosaics on Roman villa floors.
EWW

Postby EWW » 09 Aug 2020, 14:51

I have emailed the British Geological Society about the formation and await their reply. Will let you know if I get one.
EWW

Postby EWW » 11 Aug 2020, 08:24

Just received this reply back from the BGS.
Big thank you to.. Clive Mitchell MSc Industrial Minerals Geologist.

Thank you for your email – I suspect you are referring to the Carstone Formation which underlies the beach at the coastal cliff end of Hunstanton. Looking at Google Earth satellite view I can see what you mean – there does appear to be lines of rocks. This is the way that the rock has eroded along the joints in the rock – parallel planes of weakness in the rock – the rock has been preferentially eroded along these planes of weakness. There appears to be at least two set of joints one cross cutting the other to leave behind these lines of rocks.

The Carstone is a sandstone from the Cretaceous geological time period and is 101 to 113 million years old.
EWW

Postby EWW » 11 Aug 2020, 09:44

Just arrived in my inbox. Further info on the rocks. I have not yet got to grips with the overlaying of the map info.

Thanks Ev – it is as I suspected the Carstone Formation – you can view the geology here on our Geology of Britain viewer map online: http://mapapps.bgs.ac.uk/geologyofbritain/home.html - if you switch the Basemap view to Imagery you will see a satellite map with the geology overlaid.

All the best

Clive
EWW

Previous

Return to Photographs from around the local area.