Tuesday Market Place

Got something on your chest,, Get it off here,,

Tuesday Market Place

Postby obgorra » 02 Nov 2013, 08:35

It's a long time since I visited the site. Apologies.

I've just this week, had a walk round the Tuesday market place, to see what's going on. I see that part of it is opened up for car parking again. I was admiring the lovely clean slabs etc., when I suddenly wondered how it's going to look when the Mart comes. Forgive me if someone has already asked this, but wont the oil and grease from the engines and the rides make a bit of a mess? It's bad enough getting rid of old chewing gum from the town, but oil and grease? Because of the Royal Charter, I know that they can come every year, but maybe it will be smaller?
The grass isn't always greener on the other side, it's just more weeds.
obgorra

Re: Tuesday Market Place

Postby MJR » 07 Nov 2013, 08:56

Liz Nockolds (councillor for Community and Wellbeing I think) was on BBC Radio Norfolk this morning saying that they had designed it to be usable by the Mart and said something about glazing the paving. I wonder if that'll work or if there will be further disruption while the glazing company does a warranty repair, or the company and council argue in court.

My rant on the TMP: there's still no cycle parking! It was amongst the first bits closed (in a part outside the new TSB that is just empty paving in the new layout, so it could easily have been left until the new cycle parking was open) and I'll bet it'll be put back last, probably after this weekend's "opening". These councils act as if they don't care about anything except King Car and parking fees.

And my other rant on the TMP: it's now a market place without a market! Because the redesign prioritised reopening the car parking before reopening the market, the Tuesday stalls were shifted to New Conduit Street and most don't want to go back. The Friday market seems to have died a death. Meanwhile, various groups are now complaining about how difficult it is to walk along New Conduit Street - and it's still National Cycle Route 1, which is just crazy. NCS was narrowed not long ago and now it has stalls narrowing it further. Has the council lost the plot about the town centre? Is it because King's Lynn has no Town Council of its own?
MJR

Postby fenlandier » 18 Nov 2013, 16:16

The council had one meeting with the traders to obtain their views. When traders ask about having stalls on the Friday market they have been told that no decision had been made yet.
In the meanwhile traders are losing money and the council losing market income.
fenlandier

Postby MJR » 08 Jan 2014, 10:47

Well that nice shiny surface didn't last long: May Gurney were digging up the corner that leads to the cycle parking and High Street yesterday!

I've asked why (I wonder if they could have done it before), because I wanted to talk to Norfolk County Council about the (lack of) clear sight lines in that car park anyway.
MJR

Postby delbert » 08 Jan 2014, 12:17

asked the workmen what they had lost (don't think they saw the funny side )they are digging to clear the entry to the underground bunkers, that cover most of the market place. i was told they were putting an access door in to facilitate opening it up to the public, was also told it already has lighting .... so watch that space 8)
"go placidly amid the noise and haste"
delbert

Postby fenlandier » 19 Jan 2014, 20:42

The market place seems to have been designed with more focus on the café culture for a few restaurants/hotels and motorists for parking rather than as a site for markets.
Moving the market traders for such a long period has led to the loss of some traders and those few who remain face rent hikes. If they move back to the market place will the shoppers also? Shoppers will have lost the habit of going to the market place.
fenlandier

Postby supergt1971 » 21 Jan 2014, 14:17

My views on this redesign are that this new cafe culture might be nice in the summer but i was on the TMP the other day and it was freezing cold,no way i would be sitting outside plus where the seating area is doesn't get much sun anytime of the year.As a second point the roadway between bays is so tight-not much space if someone has badly parked with the nose/rear sticking out of the bay and seems like it's a constant search for a space so the council have plumped for maximum bays for maximum profit.I for one will not be parking on there unless desperate even though it's my nearest car park when coming into town and as i bank with natwest even pulling up outside to use the cash point has pushed me away from coming to this side of the town.
supergt1971

Postby fenlandier » 25 Jan 2014, 18:57

Does West Norfolk council even know about the markets in the district?

They claim on their website :-

'Markets Management

There are weekly Markets held throughout West Norfolk, normal opening times are from 8.00am until 5.00pm'.

This is not correct according to Downham Market's website :-

'Downham Market has a regular and popular outdoor market every Friday* and Saturday on the Market Place or Town Hall car park, next to the Town Hall 8.30am-4pm'.

The King's Lynn markets didn't stay open until 5pm until the council moved the traders off the Tuesday Market place and put them into the Vancouver Quarter and insisted they be in situ between 8 am and 5 pm.

The Hunstanton Town council states :-

Hunstanton Market

Hunstanton Market is held in the South End Market Car Park off Le Strange Terrace every Sunday and Bank Holiday Mondays. Stalls are open by 8am and close around 3pm' and

' Docking Local Produce Market

Docking Local Produce Market is held every Wednesday from 10am to 3pm at Dr W E Ripper Hall, High Street, Docking, PE31 8NH. For more information, see Docking Local Produce Market'.

One wonders on what evidence West Norfolk council thinks weekly Markets held throughout West Norfolk have normal opening times from 8.00am until 5.00pm.

Are they confusing market stalls with shops? Do they set rents based on being open for 9 hours. Some Market traders have to travel long distances and local traders need to load and unload their vehicles.
fenlandier

Postby MJR » 27 Jan 2014, 15:56

supergt1971 wrote:My views on this redesign are that this new cafe culture might be nice in the summer but i was on the TMP the other day and it was freezing cold,no way i would be sitting outside plus where the seating area is doesn't get much sun anytime of the year.As a second point the roadway between bays is so tight-not much space if someone has badly parked with the nose/rear sticking out of the bay and seems like it's a constant search for a space so the council have plumped for maximum bays for maximum profit.I for one will not be parking on there unless desperate even though it's my nearest car park when coming into town and as i bank with natwest even pulling up outside to use the cash point has pushed me away from coming to this side of the town.

I think it has potential. As long as it's not raining (and this is the driest bit of England) I'd happily sit out with a hot drink even in quite cold weather. Anyone who walks or rides into town is probably already dressed for the weather and it's less of a hassle than taking it all off to sit in a hot cafe. I'm waiting to see how well it's managed though: I fear the seating will only be used in perfect weather and it could be a ghost town of stacked chairs and stowed parasols most of the time.

The roadways between bays isn't noticeably tighter than before - but I hear a few people tried driving cars along the narrow path (but it was wide for a path) between Market Lane and the Corn Exchange... so now the lovely clear market place is going to get bollards to stop that, just because some people will drive anywhere unless they're physically prevented from doing so :-\

If people were just pulling up by the cash point and driving off, that wasn't really doing the shops on that end of town much good... and how can it be anyone's closest car park? Even from the north, people have to drive past Chapel Street car park to get to the TMP!
MJR

Postby Alastair » 27 Jan 2014, 19:32

The market holders would be foolish to move back to the TMP, they have far higher footfall where they've been since the works started. It might be traditional to have the market on the TMP, but tradition has been slowly killing the market for decades.
I choose to share some of my images with this forum, but please respect my wishes. View them where I display them and don't download, copy, print or use them to create other works without my written permission. I can provide prints if requested.
Alastair

Postby EWW » 27 Jan 2014, 19:34

WATER Ln to the right of the corn exchange has always been open to vehicles.
Just inside the lane Common Staith Sq end even has parking spaces and a garage
for the staff at Hawkins solicitors which is at the TMP end.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby EWW » 27 Jan 2014, 19:36

Alastair wrote:The market holders would be foolish to move back to the TMP, they have far higher footfall where they've been since the works started. It might be traditional to have the market on the TMP, but tradition has been slowly killing the market for decades.

I was talking to one of the stall holders last week asking when he was going to move back
and his answer to me was that he would "rather give his pitch up than move back to the TMP".
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby fenlandier » 27 Jan 2014, 22:55

EWW wrote:
Alastair wrote:The market holders would be foolish to move back to the TMP, they have far higher footfall where they've been since the works started. It might be traditional to have the market on the TMP, but tradition has been slowly killing the market for decades.

I was talking to one of the stall holders last week asking when he was going to move back
and his answer to me was that he would "rather give his pitch up than move back to the TMP".

Due to the extended period that the TMP has been devoid of its market, it would be asking a lot of traders to return to TMP in the hope that shoppers will return to their old habits of shopping on TMP, it took long enough for shoppers to adjust to the temporary location. Not all the traders who were present before Christmas are attending the market currently even with the 'far higher footfall'.

Still no sign of a Friday market (on or off TMP) being re-launched.
fenlandier

Postby MJR » 28 Jan 2014, 10:06

I suspect the attitude to New Conduit Street will change once the old post office is yet another building site... and most of the other buildings along NCS don't look like they're built to last either.

The whole market management situation seems very short-sighted. Like fenlandier, I'm not sure much of the council (except maybe the officers who deal directly with it) knows their markets and I'm not sure there's much of a long-term plan for them. The Saturday Market Place is going to be renovated this autumn but the current plan is for it to remain a car park... so our two marketplaces are used as car parks while fairly narrow shopping streets are used as marketplaces! Do they know how crazy this looks to visitors?
MJR

Postby fenlandier » 31 Jan 2014, 17:26

The rent of shop units is very high (see advert for shop unit below).

'26 New Conduit Street, Unit SU17A is within the Vancouver Quarter, a 400,000 sq ft shopping centre with an average footfall of 165,000 per week. King's Lynn itself has a resident urban population of approximately 41,000 and a primary retail catchment of 150,000. The scheme is anchored by JS Sainsbury, Wilkinson and Beales Department Store. The unit is close to Wilkinson, Country Casuals, Trespass and Costa Coffee.
The rent £50,000.00 per annum'.

If as reported in the paper the market rents are increased by 50% then there may be even fewer stalls than have survived the move from the TMP. A rent increase and poor weather over the summer could be the last straw for some.
There have been meetings in other towns to discuss how their markets can be revitalised. King's Lynn needs to do likewise and support their markets before they lose them altogether.
fenlandier

Next

Return to Rant!