e-cigarettes

Got something on your chest,, Get it off here,,

e-cigarettes

Postby Star Lady » 10 Oct 2013, 22:48

Do people who use these lose their sense of reality. Went to see Buddy at the Corn Exchange and a guy in front of us sat puffing on one of these throughout. He wouldn't have dreamt of lighting a cigarette up so surely he should be able to manage to sit through each half of the show without the e-cigarette!

The show incidentally was brilliant.
Star Lady

Re: e-cigarettes

Postby janna » 30 Oct 2013, 21:23

perhaps he had asked Corn Exchange staff earlier if he was allowed to use his e-cigarette!!

My partner's son is a heavy smoker, but trying hard to give up. We went out for a meal last sat. & he asked the restaurant owner if he could use the e-cigarette inside the restaurant & was told he could.

As a non smoker, I'm happy for anyone to use these, no matter where they are, if it helps them to give up smoking.
janna

Postby Star Lady » 30 Oct 2013, 22:10

Sorry Janna I disagree.

There are certain social situations where it's just not "the done thing" to light up a cigarette so why would anyone use an e-cigarette. Surely if you are trying to give up being in a place where smoking is not usual helps you to give up as there are no visual or smelly triggers. I would have thought seeing someone using an e-cigarette might trigger an urge to "smoke" whether real or substitute. In a restaurant/theatre etc there is always the option to go outside to light up.

I applaud the efforts of anyone trying to quit smoking, I just don't think using e-cigarettes in a non smoking place is the way to do it.
Star Lady

Postby Alastair » 31 Oct 2013, 00:31

I get asked a lot about e-cigs in the workplace. In reality, the jury is still out and no one with any credibility is putting their reputation on the line and saying that e-cigs are safe. I believe the BMA are clear that they should only be used as a short-term measure towards giving up smoking. But "vaping" is becoming a longer term lifestyle choice.

Most workplaces I deal with are treating them as regular cigerretes, i.e. banning them at the desk. But it raises the issue of whether seperate smoking and vaping facilities should be provided so as not yo expose the vapers to secondhand smoke from the smokers.
I choose to share some of my images with this forum, but please respect my wishes. View them where I display them and don't download, copy, print or use them to create other works without my written permission. I can provide prints if requested.
Alastair

Postby steve in the city » 05 Jan 2015, 01:00

The problem with e-cigs is that they reinforce the hand to mouth habit of smoking. This does not help people to quit. People on NRT fail to quit because the hand to mouth action is missing. Smoking is a habit, not an addiction to nicotine, and anything that reinforces that hand to mouth cycle should be banned. Also, restaurant and bar workers should not have to deal with e-cigs, neither should theatre workers or anyone dealing with the public. If I were in a restaurant or theatre where someone was "vaping" I would complain.
steve in the city

Postby dr strangelove » 05 Jan 2015, 12:12

If anyone has an issue with my harmless comments regarding e-cigarettes please say why instead of just deleting my messages because you do not like them for some strange reason, it's not the way forward. Thank you.

By the way, the topic title isn't called Rant for nothing.
Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm schizophrenic, and so am I.
dr strangelove

Postby EWW » 05 Jan 2015, 12:40

The Admin team does not give reasons for removal on this forum, or any other forum that we have communicated with. Repost your response and it will be looked at again.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby dr strangelove » 05 Jan 2015, 12:47

EWW wrote:The Admin team does not give reasons for removal on this forum, or any other forum that we have communicated with. Repost your response and it will be looked at again.

Ok, thanks EWW. Although if they gave a reason then the same mistake will not happen again. It's like a teacher punishing a child and they have no idea why they are being punished, it just confuses and upsets them. Without communication mistakes continue to happen. Just becuase it says they don't have to give a reason doesn't mean they can't still write one.
Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm schizophrenic, and so am I.
dr strangelove

Postby steve in the city » 07 Jan 2015, 03:17

One thing I have noticed about e.cigs is how needy and insecure people look who use them. They just look ridiculous. When you watch people smoking "proper" cigarettes, they take a drag and some time later take another drag. But people who use e.cigs puff on them relentlessly. Just one puff after another. People who smoke "proper" cigarettes at least get some perceived benefit from them. People who use e.cigs get no benefit - hence the relentless puffing. Then, when they tire of imitation cigs (like they tire of nrt), it is back to the real thing. How insecure are people that they cannot get through a show or a meal in a restaurant without having to puff on an e.cig? Do these people ever question their confidence levels? I do not object to people smoking where it is legal, but where it is not legal e.cigs should not be allowed.
steve in the city

Return to Rant!