Tuesday Market Place revamp

Got something on your chest,, Get it off here,,

Tuesday Market Place revamp

Postby TheBeltane » 28 Apr 2013, 22:53

Saw the plans today for the Tuesday Market Place revamp. The proposal for 'cafe culture' styling is quite frankly stupid. This is Lynn not St. Mark's Square. Acres of grey slabs, modern seats and a few trees in planters - the artist's impression looks like a 14 year old has knocked this up with a cheap landscape programme. This is too important a place to mess with. Are the granite sets still until the tarmac? I believe so. These should be exposed, cleaned up, relaid. Free material, inkeeping with the surroundings and attractive. They tried to make Lynn chic by proposing a marina, now they want to tart up one of the most important market places in England. It's more B & Q than cosmo and what will happen to the Mart?!
TheBeltane

Re: Tuesday Market Place revamp

Postby PER » 29 Apr 2013, 12:03

I'm interested to know who will actually be responsible for these areas? Who will get rid of the rubbish/clean the tables & chairs? Where is the food and drink supposed to come from? If from the restaurants around the Tuesday Market Place, then let them pay for the scheme. If people are going to bring sandwiches/takeaways (nothing wrong with that) there is a possible litter issue. The tables outside various coffee shops etc. in town are there mainly for smokers (nothing wrong with that) - but who is going to clear up the cigarette ends on the ground in the new area?
And finally......are the tables and chairs going to be bolted to the ground so they don't walk/become weapons...... I'm just a cynic :(

I think money would be better spent tidying up London Road/Railway Road - as one of the main routes into town it gives a shocking impression to new visitors (apart from the flowers and public gardens - well down Parks Department!) - I was looking at the buildings on Saturday - my reaction would be 'this place is a dump' and I'd drive straight out again.

Rant over ..... for now! :D
Pat
PER

Postby supergt1971 » 29 Apr 2013, 15:07

I quite agree this is not the best place in Lynn to sit and eat/drink,yes there may be some old buildings to look at but outnumbered by estate agents,banks and looking at the car park also the market place can be a wind trap and quite cold when out of the sun and sitting around the edge you're not going to get too much of that!It's probably another way of slowly pushing the mart off of the TMP
supergt1971

Postby fenlandier » 02 Feb 2014, 12:06

Most of the alterations are finished, Still waiting for the restaurants and hotels to set up outside seating for dining. Still no sign of the council making a decision on returning the Tuesday Market to the TMP or allowing traders to use the TMP on Fridays.
Has the council put any power in for market traders to use. Most towns (eg Downham Market) have this in their market squares.
fenlandier

Postby EWW » 02 Feb 2014, 14:48

Not a lot of use putting tables and chairs out till the mart has gone.
While having a coffee on the Hill I watched the mart guys marking
out for the rides and sideshows. Still going to use the pedestrian
areas.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby MJR » 04 Feb 2014, 11:49

"on the Hill"???

Anyway, I don't expect anything much to start now before the mart has been and gone. It would be difficult to get going and then the mart would be an interruption to any regulars or momentum.

I expect the seating will be taken in or stacked and chained up after hours and I expect that taxpayers will remain responsible for picking up most of the rubbish, the same way as we pay for fast food cups and wrappers to be pulled out of the gutters, hedges and verges. At least people sitting in the TMP are more likely to be using crockery and glass instead of paper and plastic that blows away and they'll be making the place look prettier.

As for the estate agents - if TMP cafe culture takes off, does anyone really think estate agents will be slow to find some way of renting out part or all of their buildings to cafes? ;-)
MJR

Postby EWW » 04 Feb 2014, 16:30

Yes, ON THE HILL. For hundreds of years and many generations the TMP has been known as THE HILL.

Look back through the many posts on here of the TMP in different sections and you
will see why it, and 100s of other market places all over the country are called THE HILL.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Return to Rant!