WAR SERVICE LOOKUP

Interested in Genealogy or looking to trace long lost cousins in the area?

Re: WAR SERVICE LOOKUP

Postby EWW » 15 Nov 2021, 20:56

I posted some pictures on here in the LYNN AT WAR thread years ago that shows a parade in Lynn to celebrate the relief of Mafaking. My father was in the crowd
as an 11 year old schoolboy. Some 13 years later he enlisted in the Norfolk Yeomanry which was the regiment in the parade. Makes me think he must
have been impressed with them. Here is another picture of that parade turning into St James street where the police station now stands.

I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby EWW » 18 Nov 2021, 11:31

Same day, same parade.

I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby pspooner » 15 Jan 2022, 00:30

According to a Facebook page I monitor,
UK Military History/Military Genealogy and military photography
https://www.facebook.com/groups/militarygen

If you are interested in researching personnel or getting help with identifying uniforms/ranks/etc. from photos, there are some extremely knowledgeable members of the group who are very generous with their assistance. From what I gather regarding photos, you need to scan them as a high resolution image before posting as "photos of photos" are often not clear enough for insignia.

"Request for service records" is a common question and this is their answer: the only way to get service record for deceased persons is to apply to the Ministry of Defence at the following link. You do have to qualify as to relationship. The website says it takes about a year to get them because the demand is high and their staffing is spotty due to higher than avg. illness, as we see everywhere:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/request-rec ... -personnel

One level up in their website has other options:
https://www.gov.uk/government/collectio ... ce-records

Take care and keep researching!
pspooner

Postby EWW » 07 Feb 2022, 10:14

Just received this wonderful picture of my uncle Richard dated March 1918 from a relative. Sad to say it has degraded after a hundred years but is still great.
I am going to try and have it restored as it is a bit beyond my caparbilities.

EWW

Postby MrTed » 08 Feb 2022, 13:22

I thought i'd have a quick look at this for you EWW. It is a quick fix but I used a combination of Photoshop and a site called : https://app.remini.ai/
:D

MrTed

Postby EWW » 08 Feb 2022, 16:19

Thanks for that MrTed. I use photoshop all the time and am still playing around with that picture. My Heritage had a free trial on a great product that repairs picture
almost instantly and I used it a couple of times and it was great. The offer finished before I got the picture of my uncle and I am loath to pay another sub to another site.
I will have a look at the link you posted later tonight. Thanks.
EWW

Postby EWW » 24 Apr 2022, 09:15

Hoping that someone can come up with an answer for me on this one. I am told that the man in these pictures are my mums cousin. His name was Ernest Cooper.
He was killed in 1918 not long before the war ended. I have tried getting a better picture of the cap and shoulder badges without much success. I do not have his
service number but hoping my relative in the USA who sent me pics may have it.

EWW

Postby KTL16825 » 24 Apr 2022, 12:19

Any idea, Ev, when & where Ernest was born?
KTL16825

Postby EWW » 24 Apr 2022, 15:03

Hello Ken. Just received this from the states. It was sent to a nephew of mine by a lady in Australia. She knew about my involvement with this forum
but I do not know if she is a member on here. William Deacon Cooper was the father of my grandmother Agnes Ellen Wright (nee cooper)

Ernest Richard Ley Cooper1876–1918
BIRTH 1 NOV 1876 • Pimlico, Middlesex, England
DEATH 13 APR 1918 • France (not sure about this as Probate and Soldiers' Effects records suggest a brother Henry or Henry William)
Name: Ernest Richard L Cooper
Registration Date 1877 Quarter of the YearJan-Feb-Mar
Registration Place St George Hanover Square, London, England Volume1aPage392

Name: Ernest Richard Ley Cooper
Birth Date: 17 Nov 1876
Baptism Date: 14 Feb 1887
Baptism Place: St Saviour, St George's Square, Pimlico, London, England
Parish as it Appears: S. Saviour Pimlico
Father: William Deacon Cooper
EWW

Postby desira37 » 24 Apr 2022, 17:58

Hi Ev
Do you know William D Cooper married twice? Ernest R L ,Valentine Alfred 1878 Lucy Violet 1879 & William Nelson 1880 are from his marriage to Fanny Ley on 17.9.1876 Pancras Lnd. reg. dist.
Hope all is well.
desira37

Postby KTL16825 » 24 Apr 2022, 19:22

Thanks for the info. Ev. I haven't found anything relevant looking at the obvious sources, but I have initiated a couple of enquiries that may bear fruit over the next few days. Ken.
KTL16825

Postby EWW » 24 Apr 2022, 19:49

desira37 wrote:Hi Ev
Do you know William D Cooper married twice? Ernest R L ,Valentine Alfred 1878 Lucy Violet 1879 & William Nelson 1880 are from his marriage to Fanny Ley on 17.9.1876 Pancras Lnd. reg. dist.
Hope all is well.

Hello Ken. I do not know if he was married twice but my records just show he was married to Ellen Maria Girton when my grandmother was born.
EWW

Postby Tresagreen » 25 Apr 2022, 09:01

Don't know if it's any help, but the arm badge was worn by bandsmen.
Tresagreen

Postby EWW » 25 Apr 2022, 10:52

Thanks T and Ken. Sent a picture to the Great War Furum and they agree with you T. He was in the 16th London Regt Westminster Rifles. He was a bandmaster
and when the band was not being used he was a despatch rider. Pics of him in his despatch gear and insignia.

EWW

Postby EWW » 25 Apr 2022, 11:03

They tell tell me he was also in the Anglo/Boar War 1899 1902. They also tell me he must have transferred to he RE at some time.
Looks like my whole family were with dad and his two brothers being in them.
EWW

PreviousNext

Return to FAMILY HISTORY in the local area