Info on Ashton / Thurston / Galley / Dawson in King's Lynn

Interested in Genealogy or looking to trace long lost cousins in the area?

Info on Ashton / Thurston / Galley / Dawson in King's Lynn

Postby trumpetman » 01 Aug 2022, 11:05

Hello - first post here
I am researching my family who have strong King's Lynn connections.
My Grandma was Sybella Thurston, who lived with her family in Riffley Terrace, my Grandad was Ernest Edward Ashton and I think lived in Boal Street and /or Clough Lane.
I've done a lot of family tree research and am now in the position of getting the detail, photos etc.
We always holiday in North Norfolk and would love to get enough information together to go on a tour around Kings Lynn.

Surnames - Ashton / Thurston / Galley / Dawson / Largen / Pearman / Walker / Meek

Any information would be appreciated
I have a family tree on ancestry if you would like to confirm anything - please pm

Thanks - yes I'm a trumpet player (and a retired teacher!)
trumpetman

Re: Info on Ashton / Thurston / Galley / Dawson in King's Ly

Postby desira37 » 01 Aug 2022, 18:51

Hello trumpetman
Is this correct
Sybella Thurston was born 1902 Norwich Nfk , Ernest Edward Ashton was born 23.5.1902 K/Lynn to William Edward Ashton & Rebecca nee ? born Gaywood K/L Nfk
Sybella & Ernest married 24. 1. 1926 St. Peter's Leicester. Their children appear to be born there also, at their marriage the address is given as 89, Earl Howe Leicester and In 1939c they are living at 344 Knighton Lane Leicester.
It seems Sybella died in 1967 Derby & Ernest Edward born 23.5.1902 died 1990 Leicester There is no deaths recorded on the burial disc for K/Lynn for William & Rebecca
1911c William Edward is recorded as being born in 1858 K/L a Bootmaker & Repairer. The nearest for him being born in K/L is Willaim 4qtr 1859
I might be wrong but are you sure they lived in K/Lynn ?
desira37

Postby EWW » 01 Aug 2022, 18:55

I have moved your reply to the correct thread desira. All we need in the names being researched are the names. All family research should be done here.
It takes me to long to untangle when wrongly posted.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby desira37 » 01 Aug 2022, 19:01

Hi Ev

Sorry about that but I couldn't find his thread to answer'
desira37

Postby Tresagreen » 01 Aug 2022, 19:10

They both lived in Kings Lynn

Tresagreen

Postby Tresagreen » 01 Aug 2022, 19:36

desira37 wrote:Hello trumpetman
Is this correct
Sybella Thurston was born 1902 Norwich Nfk , Ernest Edward Ashton was born 23.5.1902 K/Lynn to William Edward Ashton & Rebecca nee ? born Gaywood K/L Nfk
Sybella & Ernest married 24. 1. 1926 St. Peter's Leicester. Their children appear to be born there also, at their marriage the address is given as 89, Earl Howe Leicester and In 1939c they are living at 344 Knighton Lane Leicester.
It seems Sybella died in 1967 Derby & Ernest Edward born 23.5.1902 died 1990 Leicester There is no deaths recorded on the burial disc for K/Lynn for William & Rebecca
1911c William Edward is recorded as being born in 1858 K/L a Bootmaker & Repairer. The nearest for him being born in K/L is Willaim 4qtr 1859
I might be wrong but are you sure they lived in K/Lynn ?

William Edward Ashton -Pearman 1857-1926 ( born Kings Lynn) son of William Merlin Ashton and Sarah Ann Pearman. Married Rebecca Walker 25.12. 1886.
Tresagreen

Postby trumpetman » 01 Aug 2022, 21:27

Hi
Thanks for your replies.
The Ashtons at Boal Street - no houses there now I think
The Thurstons at Riffley Terrace - has this been renamed as a quick search yields nothing?
I too have done some digging and found that Sybella's brother Albert died in Gallipoli and there is a memorial in a K/L local church. I need to look at service records now I think
Also Sybella's sister Hilda (Dawson) nee Thurston's son Peter died in WW2 air raid in K/L 12 JUN 1941 • King's Lynn, Municipal Borough, Civilian War Dead. They lived at 13 Whitefriars Terrace: Peter Norris Dawson, aged 16.
All quite sad, but it is what it is.

Thanks again for your help - any ideas where I could find old street maps to look at?
Cheers
trumpetman
trumpetman

Postby Tresagreen » 02 Aug 2022, 07:23

Old street maps ..... Try messaging old-git, he has many maps of Lynn past.
Tresagreen

Postby TonyNorris » 02 Aug 2022, 23:52

It is possibly All Saints Church as Boal Street is quite close. As a matter of interest the Gallipoli and Dardanelles Association will be holding their memorial service at All Saints on Saturday 3rd September at 2.30pm
TonyNorris

Postby pspooner » 03 Aug 2022, 03:43

I've sent Trumpetman a pm about a Thurston relative-by-marriage, Kate Louisa Thurston who married my gt. uncle, Albert Watling. Both were from Highgate.
pspooner

Postby TonyNorris » 03 Aug 2022, 06:01

Google, Norfolk South Lynn All Saints Roll of Honour and it will tell you all about Albert Ernest Thurston.
TonyNorris

Postby Tresagreen » 03 Aug 2022, 07:26

Albert
Tresagreen

Postby trumpetman » 03 Aug 2022, 08:24

Thanks to everyone who has replied to my posts and sent pms, what a very friendly forum this is!!
I've got a chunk of time today and plan to use it doing some more research.
I've discovered that Ernest Ashton could have been an apprentice coffin maker in K/L before he moved to Leicester to work for the BU shoe machine co. Any suggestions which undertaker business this might be? I wonder if many K/L people moved away when they were in their 20's due to work.

My Dad always told a story that Sybella worked at WHSmith Wolferton Station, I know it is long gone, but would it require a large number of workers? Could his story be true?I

Thanks for the info on the memorials for WW1. I must pay my respects next holiday.......October

Have a great day everyone, it's raining here in Worcestershire
trumpetman

Postby Tresagreen » 08 Aug 2022, 18:00

Reffley Terrace, wrongly transcribed on the census as Riffley, close to the old South Lynn Railway Station........ Thanks to Ken, who has put me straight on the location. It was actually on the East side of Saddlebow Rd, near Kitchener St, opposite Bunnet Ave and Metcalfe Ave. Bit further away from the Railway Station. :roll:
Tresagreen

Return to FAMILY HISTORY in the local area