1921 census

Interested in Genealogy or looking to trace long lost cousins in the area?

1921 census

Postby KTL16825 » 22 Nov 2021, 13:10

Find My Past intends to charge for access to the 1921 census, which is due to be released on 6th January 2022. Each transcription will cost £2.50 and each original record image £3.50. Even Pro subscribers to FMP will have to pay £2.25 and £3.15 respectively. The term "daylight robbery" comes to mind.
KTL16825

Re: 1921 census

Postby EWW » 22 Nov 2021, 17:07

Absolutely exorbitant.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby desira37 » 24 Nov 2021, 13:29

Do you know what happened to the trees they started to put on that sight? My Bunting's were there with a lot of errors and when I contacted them they said I would be able to correct at a future date when it was completed.
desira37

Postby KTL16825 » 24 Nov 2021, 16:39

desira37 wrote:Do you know what happened to the trees they started to put on that sight? My Bunting's were there with a lot of errors and when I contacted them they said I would be able to correct at a future date when it was completed.

No idea, I'm afraid. My main tree is held on Ancestry; I use FMP to a large extent for access to the BNA.
KTL16825

Postby desira37 » 24 Nov 2021, 18:26

Thanks. Not a fan of Ancestry I'm on Genes Reunited.
desira37

1921 Census

Postby Sierra Charlie » 08 Jan 2022, 00:25

Just thought I would pass on my initial impression of the 1921 Census.

I am afraid I couldn't wait and elected to purchase two copies of the 1921 Census. I purchased two original copies at £3.50 each as opposed to transcripts at £2.50 each.

I was itching to find out about both my grandfathers and their whereabouts. I found them quite easily ( I already had their details from the 1911 Census ) they hadn't moved and both lived with their families in small villages, one outside Kings Lynn and one outside Leicester.

There were new additions to the relevant families which was interesting but I found the 1921 Census a little under whelming. I personally think the 1911 Census is more user friendly with information and details all on one page. The 1921 Census does not show the address like the 1911 Census does, the 1921 Census shows the address on the front cover.

Having said this, in my particular case both 1921 Census front covers just gave the village names where my respective grandparents lived, no street or avenue name. One of my grandparents was listed as a Publican but it gave no pub name. Fortunately for me I already knew the name of the pub from the 1911 Census and I therefore now assume 10 years later because he was still living in the same village that he was still landlord of the same pub.

This is not a criticism of the 1921 Census, just my personal experience, thought I would offer my thoughts and reflections.
Sierra Charlie

Postby KTL16825 » 08 Jan 2022, 13:20

I took a quick look on FMP on Thursday and found records for both my maternal grandparents. There was sufficient info. on the results pages and on the individual record previews for me to be reasonably sure of where they were living in 1921 given documentary evidence I already had from other sources, so I didn't need to pay to see the full records.
The deal with TNA that provides FMP with online exclusivity will last for a maximum of three years, but it will be possible to view records for free at Kew.
KTL16825

Postby EWW » 08 Jan 2022, 13:22

Hello SC. I have moved your post into this thread in family history as we already have the subjuct up and running.
Some good info in your post to go with info already posted.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby desira37 » 08 Jan 2022, 15:39

Not being very helpful to me so far for the ones I've searched
Those born at Middleton & Gayton Nfk are coming up born Middlesex
Those born Pentney Nfk are born Flintshire Wales.
All mum's side are coming up being in the parish of West Lynn.
desira37

Postby pspooner » 11 Jan 2022, 21:08

A couple of my impressions/hints re: the 1921 census.
1. You don't have to subscribe to Find My Past to search in the 1921, you can create a free account.
2. When searching and looking at a list of results, hover you mouse over the 'image' icon on the far right of the line. It will give you a list of 3 first names of people on the same record and if there's more, it will have a (+4) for instance for 4 additional people in the same household. By being canny, you can just about get all the first names in the same house by hovering over those other first names' results. And perhaps that's all you want - just to know who is there.
3. The employment information is interesting because even if the person is unemployed, they have to list their last employer and the address. So I just found that Benjamin George Spooner, my Gt. Uncle, was a sailor but unemployed but who he last worked for is listed. His daughter was also unemployed but formerly worked at Bradfield's shop (a member of the Bradfield's family was our next door neighbor on Gaywood Rd.) and the son of Mrs. Ben Spooner was a boilermaker at Dodman's (where his nephew, my dad, worked - maybe that was how he got on at Doddies?!). That young man was living with his wife and their child and was the only one bringing in a pay packet at that point (6 persons) -- so, employer info does help create a context that we would not know otherwise.
4. Unfortunately, the 1921 does not repeat the very interesting question about 'how long married, number of children born, number of children living" that was on the 1911.
5. No reason to purchase the transcript as you don't get all the info that is on the original image and you are subject to inevitable 'mis-reads' by the hard working transcribers.

"Such fun!" as Miranda's mother would say.
pspooner

Postby pspooner » 14 Jan 2022, 19:17

After watching a Q&A with staff from National Archives and Find My Past on YouTube, I found that FMP is responding to requests for submission of corrections to transcripts. They have created a new email address to send corrections: (Please be succinct because they'll be getting thousands of emails and you do want them to take action). This is if you only view/pay for the image. If you view the transcript (not advised-it's not all the info on the census), there is already a 'button' at that screen to report errors.

transcriptsupport@findmypast.com (that's transcript support)

That YT video if you care to view it, was posted on 12 January 2022:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE5Mptyxtlw
pspooner

Return to FAMILY HISTORY in the local area