Fred Watling - fatal accident, 1924

Interested in Genealogy or looking to trace long lost cousins in the area?

Fred Watling - fatal accident, 1924

Postby pspooner » 17 Oct 2019, 03:10

My Great Uncle Fred (Frederick Catton) Watling was killed in an accident on 25 March, 1924. That was a Tuesday, and I would think this would have been reported in the Lynn News. Not sure of the publishing frequency in those days so whatever was the next issue should have the article. I tried to look this up in the Lynn Library the last time I was in the UK but, as bad luck would have it, the microfilm reader was on the fritz and the library was very busy so I had to give up the quest. If anyone is visiting the Library, I would really appreciate having a copy of the report of the accident. My mother said it had something to do with a horse, but you know how memory can play tricks. Thank you!
pspooner

Re: Fred Watling - fatal accident, 1924

Postby EWW » 25 Nov 2019, 16:10

Hello Pam. I have been through the LN&A for 1924 and could find nothing on Fred.
The microfilm is in such a bad condition I could have missed it though.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby pspooner » 28 Nov 2019, 03:54

Thank you so much for your kind attempt at finding out what happened. So sad that it will remain a mystery for now. Perhaps something will turn up in the future.

Have a good holiday season!
Best,
Pam
pspooner

Postby pspooner » 06 Jan 2020, 16:50

Just to close this out, should anyone in the future need this information:
I purchased a pdf of Frederick Catton Watling's death certificate from the Govt Records Office (GRO) - the cause of death provided descriptive information:

Date of death 25 March 1924, age 56.
Profession: "Fitter at West Norfolk Farm Manure Company Ltd. off Saddlebow Road, King's Lynn"
Cause of death: "Deceased met his death from slipping from a ladder while at work & fractured his skull."
"Certificate received from Morley Chadwick, Deputy Coroner for borough of King's Lynn.
Inquest held 26 March, 1924. "

Certificate registered 28 March, 1924.

so, whether his fall had ANYTHING to do with a horse (as per my mother's information) is still to be determined.

NOTE: This was an excellent lesson in using variations in names and being like a dog with a bone!
The GRO birth index spells his name incorrectly: Whatling (instead of Watling)
The GRO death index transcribed his middle name incorrectly: Cotton (instead of Catton)
pspooner

Postby EWW » 06 Jan 2020, 20:53

Sad that the accident wasn't mentioned in this small book I have written by W F Sampson called West Norfolk Fertilisers 1872-1965.
Bill Sampson was the safety officer when I worked there.

The book mentioned six Cattons that worked there. I can remember two..Lenny and Narny Catton. What Narny's real name was I have
no idea. The book does not say either. I wonder if your Frederick Catton Watling had any tie up with the Cattons.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby pspooner » 11 Jan 2020, 00:00

I have often wondered where that middle name Catton came from! Fred was born in 1867 so I looked at the 1861 census, to see if there was a Catton that might have worked with Fred's father, John, or had been neighbors of theirs in Highgate - either way, a close friend? Logical, but only one Catton family in that census, in South Lynn, and the 2 men in that family were 'street labourers'. Doesn't sound like they worked for Savage's with Fred's father. Also looked in the 1871 census - no Cattons in Highgate (all in All Saints/South Lynn) but a few Catton men listed as 'laborers'.
It's not a handed down family name.
There's also a Norfolk place named Catton (separate village from Norwich back then). Perhaps some connection to there but haven't found any yet.

Thanks for the lead, though! You never know.
pspooner

Postby desira37 » 11 Jan 2020, 18:49

Hi
I have been looking at your Catton mystery and I think his mother was Eliza Catton Black b1844 chr.2.2.1845 St. Nicholas K/L father John Black who was a butcher.
She married John Whatling 28.8.1864 St. Nicholas K/L. Frederick and his brother John born Gaywood 1871c
desira37

Postby pspooner » 11 Jan 2020, 21:49

Yes! Great minds think alike! I also found Eliza Catton Black's baptism. That's the ANSWER! Fred's middle name was his mother's middle name! Eliza's "parents" were from Scotland, with her older "sister", Jane, born there circa 1820 (1841 census, Lynn) The family came to Lynn between Jane and another daughter, Margaret, arriving. Too much to go into here but Eliza was the illegit. dau. of Margaret (her parents 'stood in for Margaret' on Eliza's baptism record).

What a great collaboration we have on this Forum! THANK YOU!
Pam
pspooner

Postby desira37 » 11 Jan 2020, 22:36

I did find Margaret being the mother of Eliza [ illegit ] but didn't make the connection.
desira37

Postby EWW » 11 Feb 2020, 11:12

This was added to my query on workhouses. Hope this is of help Pam.

Another topic I’ve been meaning to email you about is the Fred Watling accident thread. The only coroners records I hold in KLBA are inquest deposition books from the 1920’s. The witness depositions for Fred’s inquest should be held in them. The verdict itself will be identical to the one on the death certificate but the depositions might be able to answer whether a horse was involved or not.
EWW

Return to FAMILY HISTORY in the local area