A Fisherman Called John Chapman

Interested in Genealogy or looking to trace long lost cousins in the area?

A Fisherman Called John Chapman

Postby andy1066 » 07 Jul 2017, 12:31

I am trying to trace a fisherman who lived in Pilot Street with the name John Chapman. John died in 1816 at the age of 52 and had a wife called Elizabeth. They had a daughter called Sarah who married into my Lynn family, and they possibly had other children too. Looking at all the possible marriages of a John Chapman to an Elizabeth in Norfolk (I have looked at Lincolnshire & Cambridgeshire but cannot find a close match), the closest marriage I can find was in Blakeney to Elizabeth Lincoln in 1789. When I visited King's Lynn in April, I looked through the records at True's Yard but found nothing. I have also been in contact with the Blakeney Area Historical Society but they couldn't provide much more than I already knew.

In the 1841 census, Elizabeth Chapman is living with my Lynn "Wine" Family in Pilot Street and would die later that year at the age of 83. My thoughts are, he was a fisherman/sailor working out of Blakeney and moved to Lynn probably around 1796/1797, I say this because daughter Sarah was baptised at St Nicholas on the 28th April 1797. Based on birth and death records, I think John was born in Edgefield in 1764, and Elizabeth born in Salhouse in 1758.

Any information on both John and Elizabeth would be very helpful as I am at that BRICKWALL point in my research.

Many thanks.... Andy
andy1066

Re: A Fisherman Called John Chapman

Postby Sp53 » 15 Mar 2019, 09:30

Hi Andy,

I am about to research my Chapman line of Kings Lynn. Are you still researching yours?

Best wishes,

Steven
Sp53

Re: A Fisherman Called John Chapman

Postby andy1066 » 13 Aug 2019, 18:47

Hi Steven,

I have not done any research for about 20 months now. Got fed up with hitting too many brick walls so thought I would give it a rest for a while. The person I was searching was John Chapman who was married to Elisabeth, both residing in Pilot Street, and being a fisherman. I tried searching for a marriage and the closest I could find was to Elisabeth Lincoln in Blakeney. Cannot get any further than that though.

The daughter of John and Elisabeth, Sarah, married my 3xgreat grandfather James Wine in Kings Lynn.

Good Luck, Andy

PS: If you need any further info please send me a private message.
andy1066

Return to FAMILY HISTORY in the local area