My Mum needs help remembering a canning factory she worked

Looking for old work colleagues, or what is going on with the old firm now? Contact your work mates, past and present.

My Mum needs help remembering a canning factory she worked

Postby Fisher » 09 Feb 2016, 19:22

My mum lives in the states now, but in her teens she worked in a canning factory. Her name, Irene Fisher, she lived in West Lynn. We haven't been able to find any mention of this canning factory. She said it was near Coopers and the bridge and that Clenchwarton Rd. and she thinks it was either West or South Lynn. It would be very much greatly appreciated if someone could help us out. She was just a young girl at the time. She was born in 1943.

Thank you for your time.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Fisher

Re: My Mum needs help remembering a canning factory she work

Postby Lincslad » 09 Feb 2016, 20:34

Are you sure it was a canning factory,because there was a factory which was just over the river bridge from Coopers on the clenchwarton road,but it was called Fropax and did frozen food,my mother worked there for a time.but there was also a canning factory in West Lynn called Lin Can and was on the banks of the river ouuse. I will ask my wife because she was born in 1942,lived on the same road as Coopers so might know a bit more than I do, There is a thread on here in the Work bit with lots of pics of Lin Can, so have a look at that
I will come back to you
Pat
Lincslad

Postby westwinch » 09 Feb 2016, 21:58

It was Donald Cooks. There is a thread on the site. Inside the new building some of the one remains.
westwinch

Postby RMP » 17 Apr 2016, 19:43

Hi! I am sorry I cannot help you with info. regarding the Canning factory. I worked at "Fropax" frozen food factory for about 2 years starting 1954. Our immediate Boss was "Mrs. king', whom I liked very much. Mr. Greenfield was the top man though. I worked with Pat Fulcher, Nellie Smith, Brenda Massen, and many others from Gaywood. I loved it there. We used to sing wile sorting the peas on the belt. I was offered a position in the Office, but declined. Silly girl!
I left Fropax and married shortly after. Left England when I was 19 for the States. I loved my family life. There were 10 children
My Mum was a terrific lady (Little Gracie Wright). WE were poor regarding materiel "Things" , but Rich with Love. As they say "The most important "Things" in life are not "Things".
Off I go now to play a little Bingo.(Downstairs) I live in elderly housing now. I am 76.
All the best to my Forum Friends,
RMP

Imagine Peace
RMP

Postby RMP » 22 May 2016, 22:44

Was it "Lin Can" factory? There was definitely a canning factory in, or near where your Mum explained.
My Mum worked there for a short time. (Grace Wright)
Good Luck,
RMP :smt006

Imagine Peace
RMP

Postby rutlander » 23 May 2016, 08:47

My mum Hilda Norris also worked at Lin Can for a while, I remember going there as a young kid.
rutlander

Postby RMP » 24 May 2016, 17:15

My Mum had a very good friend. I only knew her as "Mrs. Norris." Lovely lady. She had a daughter who came the the States, also there was a "Biddy". They lived down South Lynn.
Mrs. Norris visited my Mum once a week. For a chat and a cuppa tea. Always a soft boiled egg and toast.
My sister Shirley, wrote to Mrs. Norris for a long time. but sadly she (Mrs. Norris) probably passed on like my dear Mum. I think her husband's name was "Les". He worked where I did. Fropax. He worked with the technical stuff.
Cheerio for now.

RMP

Imagine Peace :smt006
RMP

Postby EWW » 24 May 2016, 20:26

Biddy's real name was Donald. Mrs Norris's name was Marjory. Sadly Biddy has passed also.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby rospaul » 25 May 2016, 10:03

:( ........ I used to see "Big Biddy" Norris and his wife Margaret regularly walking their daughters dog "Rip" along the river bank at West Lynn, sadly as EEW said Ronald passed away after a short illness on the 2 April 2015 he was 81. Margaret still drives over to West Lynn to take Rip for a walk along the bank, I saw her and had a chat just a few weeks ago, I'm pleased to say she seems to be in very good health.

:smt006
Remember yesterday, dream about tomorrow, but live for today".
(Paul the dog walker)
rospaul

Postby RMP » 26 May 2016, 17:11

Thanks to all for updating me on the "Norris Family". Very sorry to learn that Biddy passed away.
He lived lived a good long life, but still, it is a heart break for his loved ones.
It is getting quite warm here. About time! Our winters are so long, but after all of these years, I have gotten used to the snow, but not the Ice.
I wish I could look into more topics in the Forum today, but I have an appointment with the Dentist.
Keep on Truckin'! Just be glad you don't have Donald Trump practicly at the Helm.

RMP :smt006 :smt006

Imagine Peace
RMP

Postby maureen.dunnett » 31 May 2016, 15:20

The factory was on the clenchwarton road and was called "Fropax". I believe it was one of the early frozen food factories and my Husband Charlie Eyles worked there. The packaging was quite novel, being cardboard boxes with metal ends. I also knew Mrs Norris, she lived in the same row as myself. Biddy Norris was my Brothers friend. I believe Mrs Norris used to look after very young babies before they were adopted. The Lin Can factory was in West Lynn and many of the locals worked there. M Dunnett (nee Fox)
maureen.dunnett

Postby rospaul » 31 May 2016, 19:33

:) Maureen, all you have to do is enter "Fropax" in the Search-box in the top right of this page, and you should find some photos of the old factory at West Lynn.

(Paul the dog walker)
rospaul

Postby bill » 31 May 2016, 19:49

think you will find it was Donald cooks canning factory they stored cans in eddie sillis on clenchwarton road
billJ
bill

Postby rospaul » 31 May 2016, 20:24

The site was originally built for Fropax in the late 1940s with the small "Eldorado Ice Cream" factory on the north side. It was taken over and renamed by Donald Cooks some time in the 1960s. East Coast Storage and the Sillis family came much later.

(Paul the dog walker)
rospaul

Return to Work