Does anyone have any info regarding Lee Infants

Add your school - share your school memories, contact your old school friends here, also posts on current school events are welcome.

Does anyone have any info regarding Lee Infants

Postby Warpo » 16 Jan 2019, 21:12

On the 19th Oct 1891 my GG Grandfather started school at South Lynn, All Saints Boys School. On the admission register, at the top of the page (see attached) it states (as with all new starters on the page) their address was "Lee Infants"

Next couple of columns across states last school was "Infant L A Str" ????? I'm presuming it's Infant Lee Austin Street. Would love to be corrected.

Can anyone decipher it properly if I have it wrong. (Nursery i'm presuming because a) there was no highest standard grade given, and b) I think the All Saint's All Boys was a primary given my GG Grandfathers age)

I have googled for this old school and even searched here to no avail. I can find no mention of it anywhere, would love for anyone to enlighten me, maybe even a pic of the building lol :wink:

Massive thanks as always in advance.

Warpo

Re: Does anyone have any info regarding Lee Infants

Postby EWW » 16 Jan 2019, 21:25

Never heard of a school in Ausin street.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby EWW » 16 Jan 2019, 21:36

Was he a local boy warpo? As the only Lee Infant school I can find is in Lee-on-Solent.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby Tresagreen » 16 Jan 2019, 21:45

Hi Warpo, any chance we could see a bit more of the page? I think it says See infants under Address, as it looks as if the info,is about the parent or guardian. And on the other side I don't think it is Street at the end. It looks like an abbreviation of Saints, so,it could be A Sts as in All Saints. Just my opinion, but worth a look. The only other thing I could find was a Jubilee School in Lynn, but don't know where it was. TG
Tresagreen

Postby EWW » 16 Jan 2019, 22:02

EWW

Postby Warpo » 16 Jan 2019, 22:48

Thanks for your replies so far, I never posted the whole page because when I do, the size of this forum goes haywire for me lol, but here you go.

My GG Grandfather is 4th from the bottom (Fred Wilmore). He was born in 1884, Cantebury, Kent due to his father being in the 7th Dragoon. His father was from Brighton. Lee-On-Solent is near Gosport, but IS on the south coast, so MAYBE, quite a possibility, i'll look into that thank you.

Is there anyway I can check if this Lee Infants ever existed in Lynn? Would your council know maybe if I rang them?

Left side of page on top right below.
Warpo

Postby EWW » 16 Jan 2019, 22:59

I have looked at all the schools in Lynn from 1822 and no Lee infants school anywhere.

I will sort the picture size warpo.
EWW

Postby Warpo » 16 Jan 2019, 23:07

Thank you EWW.

Curious, i'm assuming infants here would be like a pre-school or nursery. I've not come across this in my family research before. It was only because I saw the name Lee Infants (If thats what it is).

Did pre-schools or nurseries exist in Lynn that far back?
Warpo

Postby EWW » 17 Jan 2019, 00:18

Cannot find anything on pre-schools at all warpo. All the directories I have and I do not have every year unfortunatly, the schools listed name
the teachers of each class. I can find noone called Lee in any school covering the years in question.
EWW

Postby Tresagreen » 17 Jan 2019, 07:05

Don't wish to be picky Warpo, but 'Lee' infants is written beside a different name to your relative. As all the others are marked 'ditto', I can't think that they all went to Lee. (On Solent) If you compare the S and L letters, you can see that it looks more like See, as in 'refer to'. I'm guessing that their addresses would be listed in the infants register, so would not need writing in that column again. Maybe I'm wrong, but it would explain things a bit. TG
Tresagreen

Postby Warpo » 17 Jan 2019, 13:40

Yes that certainly would explain a lot. But then the question would be, What and where was the infants school, as there obviously a lot that came from there.

@ EWW - Can you not find anything on infant schools or were you looking specifically for "Lee"

My ancestors lived in St Margarets, if that means anything to you. In the 1891 and 1901 census they were at 11 Carmelite Terrace to be exact.
Warpo

Postby EWW » 17 Jan 2019, 13:55

Hello warpo. I cannot find any school that just catered for infants until quite modern times. All the old schools I looked had
classes for infants right from early on. The school elementary reform act did not come in till 1870 but I do not think infants
educational needs came in till much later. I used to give talks on victorian schools when working at True's yard museum
taking many school children to the site of the Northends own Victorian school St Nicks.

No not just Lee but anything I thought might help.
EWW

Postby Tresagreen » 17 Jan 2019, 14:22

Hi again Warpo. To expand a little on what EW said, I would suggest that the infants section was in the same building as the older children. Don't know if you have checked on the Ancestry website, but a chap on there has info on Fred Wilmore. You have to get his permission to view the history though. Hope some of this has been of help to you. TG. Ps his name is Dean Hides and he is researching the Wilmore family tree.
Tresagreen

Postby Warpo » 17 Jan 2019, 16:34

I'll try chasing it up somehow, but cannot thank you both enough for your help.

Oh, btw, i'm Dean Hides haha
Warpo

Postby Warpo » 17 Jan 2019, 19:22

Found this in another thread, but didn't know how to link to a specific post:

old-git wrote:I don't know anything about All Saints school, was it the school shown on this map? If so did it still have the same layout in the 50s?

It would be nice if someone who knows the school could print this map out and colour in the buildings, if they were still the same. In the lower playground what was the long building to the left, a bike shed?

8)

This is supposed to be All Saint's and notice "Infants" right next door.
Warpo

Next

Return to School