St NIcholas School

Add your school - share your school memories, contact your old school friends here, also posts on current school events are welcome.

Re: St NIcholas "Girls " School

Postby rospaul » 09 Mar 2008, 12:28

I may have the answer to Choks question as to when the photograph of the boys at St Nic's was taken.
The first boy on the back row is my late Uncle Tom (Thomas Valentine Rose) he was born March 1903.
Also on the back row is Arthur Lemmon he was my Foreman for a time on GPO Telephones he retired about 1968.
The boys look to be 10-11 years old, so I would think it was taken 1913ish :?:
You can tell the sons of hard-up Fishermen they're wearing "Gansey's" all the rest look quite smart.
Remember yesterday, dream about tomorrow, but live for today".
(Paul the dog walker)
rospaul

Postby old-git » 10 Mar 2008, 06:36

Excellent dating rospaul :D

EWW, remember there were a lot of houses crammed in that area with big family's, as for catchment I'm guessing Norfolk street to Loke road, Tuesday market to Railway road?
mustn't grumble
old-git

Postby EWW » 10 Mar 2008, 09:24

Yes you are right OG. Plenty of yards and streets in that locale.
I had it in me head it was mainly a North end school but the
largest amount of people in that area was between 800 and
1000, so they would have to come from further afield.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Re: St NIcholas School

Postby EWW » 24 Apr 2008, 16:38

Does anyone have the names of the teachers (Male) for the years 1937-1938 for
St Nicks. Hungry Fisher was the headmaster at that time and it shut thereafter
and became the Startrite Shoe factory.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby rospaul » 24 Apr 2008, 20:11

I don't have names of Male Teachers at St Nic's just one Female a Miss A M M Nichols who lived next door to my Grandmother at 57 Cresswell St.
She spent all her working life as the Infants Teacher at the school and retired when it closed in 1939.
I know she taught one of my Aunts at the end of WW1 and was still in Cresswell St in 1970, the year I was married. Must have been a great age when she died.
(Paul the dog walker)
rospaul

Re: SCHOOL PIC

Postby thaberland » 23 Feb 2009, 17:33

STARTRITE SHOE FACTORY I worked there for a while making baby shoes
never knew it use to be a school :) also went to St Mary's Roman Catholic school' in I think 1944 for one year ALL Saints was full I remember some of it. :)
thaberland

Postby old-git » 15 Jan 2010, 02:32

mustn't grumble
old-git

Postby pluck » 15 Jan 2010, 18:07

They put some soldiers in there during the war for a short time us kids took there washing home for them what I remember it was covered in mud ,and they gave us a bayonet which we managed to drop into the docks while swimming off the the timber rafts ,alsothe passage marked girls entrance is were they fitted all us kids with gas masks
pluck

Postby EWW » 15 Jan 2010, 18:59

Trying to work out which one was Tank Roper, I think he is the one in a cap next
to the boy with the newspaper. I only knew him when he was getting on a bit.
I knew his brother Bant Roper more as he was the teaboy (thats a laugh, he was
about 70) on the last job I did on the cranes for Carters, the council offices in
Chapel st. :D
EWW

Postby mydogsandme » 31 Jan 2010, 20:48

this is really interesting stuff-I've lived a few yards from where the school is for 9 months and would love any interesting facts about Pilot St. My mum grew up round North End in the 20's and 30's and went to the school. Does anyone remember the Thompsons-George, Edith and Pamela? Pics here are great :D
mydogsandme

Postby rospaul » 31 Jan 2010, 21:40

One of the boys on the day trip to London was Herbert (Jack) Dowdy. He worked for many years as a cable jointer for GPO Telephones at the old railway station site in Austin St. I have some great memories of Jack when in later years he became Head Storekeeper at the BT depot at Saddlebow Rd. As Jack was an old North-ender and a friend of the family I could get away with almost anything when it came to stores items, other weren't so lucky. Sadly Jack passed away last year,... they don't make'm like that anymore.

:smt006
(Paul the dog walker)
rospaul

Postby spainguy » 27 Nov 2010, 21:01

I am wondering whether this St Nicholas School is the same one that is mentioned in my family history in the 1861 Census. It shows my great x 3 grandfather's sister, Mary Ann Holditch née Greeves, 1795, widow of Adam Holditch, Tailor of Tuesday Market Place being the proprietor of the house at 11 St Nicholas Street, Boarding and Day School with her daughters Mary Ann and Eliza being schoolmistresses.
Does the building still exist? I'd be grateful for any local knowledge please.
spainguy

Postby EWW » 27 Nov 2010, 21:13

The St Nicks school in this thread was not in St Nicholas street Spainguy. Dont think
it was built till the 1870s, but I may be wrong on the date. Unless the school you
mention was housed in the building what is now the Tudor Rose Hotel, which apart
from one other is the only old building in ST Nicholas St.
EWW

Postby ww1schools » 06 Oct 2014, 09:02

Really interested in the comments and photographs about St Nicholas Boys School. I am currently writing a book on 'Schooling and the Great War' and wondered if anyone had any information about St Nicholas or any other Lynn schools during the period 1900-1920. I have seen the StN Logbook in Trues Yard and will check the Library for others. The photo of the StN boys is fantastic! Would the owner be prepared to let me use it on my website www.ww1schools.com and possibly in my book? Due to give a talk on WW1 at Trues Yard soon. Also very interested in Joseph Dines - Lynn boy, teacher, footballer and soldier. Regards to all.
ww1schools

Postby EWW » 06 Oct 2014, 10:21

Hello WW1. I the picture you are refering to is the one posted by old-git it may be best if
you send him an email. His email address is at the bottom of any post he has made.

Do not know if you have seen the posts on here of Dines but there are quite a few. If you
have not, just search +dines and up they will come. Do not forget the plus sign in front of name.

I look foreward to you talk at the yard. I will be the one at the back with the collection box :D
EWW

PreviousNext

Return to School