Hunstanton Secondary Modern

Add your school - share your school memories, contact your old school friends here, also posts on current school events are welcome.

Hunstanton Secondary Modern

Postby 8 boston square » 15 Nov 2013, 05:21

I arrived here via our move from the east midlands to Heacham, had a good fruit garden and the fish and chip shop, Peggs were two bonus's.
An old Eastern Counties double decker used to take us to Hunstanton Secondary Modern, up stairs was a walk way on the right and you them stepped up onto platform that supported the bench seats, dont see that these days! The bus was often down to 1st gear to get up the hill and I always hoped it would brak down and we could all go home for the day, ther buses from Birds and Stainsby's brought other in from the surrounding villages. At the end of the day everyone lined up in the playground and waited to be called for your bus, unless you lived in Hunstanton, you waited til everyone else had gone before being released. After 6 months in Heacham we moved to Hunstanton, must have been1958/59?
The headmaster was a Mr Bolton, used walk round with university cape on and with his mustache and austere haircut I thought he looked like a cross between Adolf Hitler and Batman.
It certainly was a modern looking school I think it must have been built in the early/mid 50's.
I used to like the end of the summer term when the boys played the teachers at cricket, that was good.
I also remember passing the exam to go to the Tech in Lynn and the day when someone came in, a teacher dont remember wheich one and asked a question I was not prepared for and I suspect I was not alone because no one had ever mentioned it whilst at school, the teachers taught their subject and that was that.
So the question was this. " in order to put you on the right course at the Tech we need to know what you want to do when you leave, what job are you looking to do?" It was like being clean bowled! I said I wanted to be a policeman just because they got £1000 a year which was not bad money in those days but no one ever talked about life after school which I thought was a big mistake at the time, no one ever came and told us about their company, what it was like to work there and it was the same at the Tech, just leave and find a job.
Enough for now.
8 boston square

Re: Hunstanton Secondary Modern

Postby 8 boston square » 17 Nov 2013, 15:30

No comments or memories then?
The teachers I remember apart form the aloof headmaster. Eddie Pendle ( had a run in with him- for another time) but a nice bloke, Mr Atkinson-PE, Mr Willox- 4th year, Mr Timothy- Gardening, Mr Dawson-Metalwork, Jim Moffat-History and a local football referee, Mr Bocking-Science ( I remember coming top one term and bottom next, he said this not make sense, did to me I hated it), Mr Walden-History....................time for another beer, help me out whilst I have a drink.
8 boston square

Postby 8 boston square » 20 Nov 2013, 05:55

Another couple of teachers I remember was Walden and that gruff Yorkshireman Eddie Gee, his wife ran a guest house in Northgate called Boston View I think. Eddie was a rugby man who occassionally took football, whenever anyone had the ball he would shout "shoot" no matter where you were, a character to be sure.
Winter time there on the field was bleak esp when the wind blew.
I can remember one time when the potato crop failed and school lunches had 2 slices of Wagg's bread instead of the potatoes, not really the same is it.
The tuck shop was a funny little affair on the ground floor but we were lucky to have the option I guess.
8 boston square

Postby EWW » 20 Nov 2013, 10:52

8 boston square wrote:No comments or memories then?

Dunno, but do not think many members, if any, (yourself apart)
went to that school Boston.

Hope you do get replies as its all interesting, but have my doubts. :(
Lets hope former pupils sign up that can relate to the teachers you
talk of.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Hunstanton Secondary Modern 1972/73 Football & Rugby team

Postby georgegloomy57 » 17 Aug 2016, 12:33

Back row from the left: Phillip Woods, Adrian Fryatt, David Ireson, Alan Capper.
Middle row from the left: Peter Knight, Steve Owen, Graham Collinson, Garry Compton, Adrian Wallace, Unknown, Phillip Smith.
Front row from the left: Frank Lockey, Roy Garner, Chris Burgess, Colin Bix, Robert Thirwell.

Back row from the left: Danny Whelkes, Unknown, Chris Knight, Unknown, Michael Large, Unknown, Peter Richardson.
Middle row from the left: Unknown, Keith Dennis, Peter Baker, Alan Blanch, Steve Owen, Unknown, Graham Collinson.
Front row from the left: Richard Smith, Billy Burton, John Gregory, P.E Master Tim Aldous, Unknown, Unknown, Robert Hines.
georgegloomy57

Postby georgegloomy57 » 17 Aug 2016, 18:50

I agree with your description of Mr Bolton.You could not understand a word he said during morning assembly.I was at the school later than you 1969 to 1974 and the teachers that I remember are Deputy Head Mr Turner who would shout MOOOOVE like he was in the army.Mr Pendle,Mr Shorten ( my number one due to his dry wit)Miss Orbell, Mr Mayhew, Mr Brock,Miss Shaw.Mr Dawson,Mr Hall,Mr Tuck,Miss Meadows, Mr Gee, Miss Howard,Mr Timothy,Mr Chips Thomas,Mr Calderwood.Mr Davies, Mrs Johnson,Mrs Reynolds,Mrs Dixon.Tim Aldous Mr Yellup. Mr Maiden.

Happy days
georgegloomy57

Postby Boxman » 17 Aug 2016, 22:57

I started at Hunstanton Sec Mod in 1956,it had only been opened a few years . it was built by F.W. Shanks based in Hill st. Hunstanton. My dad worked for them.Teachers were Mr Atkinson PE. Mr Shorten,Mr Timothy, Miss Nash Music, Miss Walker Dep Head and History, Mr Bolton Head, Mr Wilcox, Mr Pendle, Mr Thomas, Miss Bennion. Mr Bocking science, Eddie Gee who slippered our entire class one day, Eddie Gee also introduced Rugby to the school, I remember playing against Lakenham school.
Boxman

Return to School