Alderman Catleugh Secondary Modern School for Girls

Add your school - share your school memories, contact your old school friends here, also posts on current school events are welcome.

Alderman Catleugh Secondary Modern School for Girls

Postby Hawthorne49 » 24 Jul 2012, 23:29

There must be some people out there with memories of Catleugh's Girls school!

I was there from 1974, then stayed on for 6th form in the newly formed Springwood High school. The head teacher was the formidable Miss Howe-Smith, who could never pronounce my name properly but I didn't dare correct her! We always stood when she entered the room and she taught us handwriting once a week in one of the mobiles, teaching us italic writing with proper ink pens that you dipped into inkwells. We copied parts of T.S.Eliot's Old Possums Book of Practical Cats - "I have a Gumby cat in mind/ her name is JennyAnyDots".

I began in Mrs Perkins' form and classes were arranged by age - 1S (senior), 1M (middle), 1J (junior), and 1R (remedial - for the strugglers). In my year there were so many of us that they had to make a new form, 1N. Mrs Perkins took us for science in that first year, later there was the dishy Mr Watson. There was Mr Earl, who always seemed to dress so sloppily, who taught English and History - he was in one of the mobiles and was always scratching his nails on the blackboard, though he blamed the board rubber. Who else now? Mrs Dyer and Miss Breed for Maths, Mrs Harrison for R.E. (I think she left to become a deaconess), Mrs Brown and Miss Goose for P.E., Mrs Woods for Geography, Mrs Amis for History (she now does voluntary talks at Gressenhall Museum), Mrs Driver for Needlework, Miss Leverington for Domestic Science and Mrs Norman for French.

I could go on for ages, but let's see if anyone else comments first! :wink:
Hawthorne49

Re: Alderman Catleugh Secondary Modern School for Girls

Postby molskoi » 29 Jul 2012, 11:51

Hi .. I went to the boys bit from 1969-73 so our paths probably never crossed ;-) .. all I can remember is peeking through the concertina doors that seperated the dinner halls and trying to see the 'talent' on the other side ... good times !
molskoi

Postby molskoi » 29 Jul 2012, 11:54

Also have memories of the shared swimming pool out the back (unheated) .. B***dy freezing too !
molskoi

Postby Hawthorne49 » 31 Jul 2012, 19:44

Hi Molskoi!

Yes, that swimming pool was certainly icy - as was the walk to it from the changing rooms. I remember they started mixing the classes around 1976/7 and we girls would get very giggly at the sight of boys around the place. Such innocence!
Hawthorne49

Postby EWW » 22 Mar 2013, 11:25

I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby Fionachill » 28 Aug 2014, 05:55

This was my class photo brings back lovely memories of a very happy time, what a large class number we were in those days.

Fionachill
Fionachill

Postby EWW » 28 Aug 2014, 09:58

Always nice when a new member finds something of interest from their past. Welcome to the forum.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby lucycat1 » 25 Nov 2014, 18:41

hi iattendedcatleugh school for girls in the 1960s formerly monica taylor my email address is monica.wood6@aol.com for anyone who would like to get in touch
lucycat1

Postby Pompom » 30 Jan 2016, 21:14

Hi I attended Catleugh from 77 and started off in 1 G it then changed to Springwood around 79/80 , I remember Mr Chapman (PE) mr sockalov ( drama) Miss Stentiford and Miss Cicconne English and French respectively.
Pompom

Postby Cora L » 05 Mar 2017, 23:17

I attended the girls school from 75 to 80. I am in touch with some of the 'old ' girls and we were the J class the youngest of the year ! We are having a get together 1st June 2017 at Knights Hill, Kings Lynn 7pm. I remember Mrs Dyer maths teacher also my form teacher one year. I enjoyed the productions we put on with the slightly wild Mrs Rogers drama teacher ! Old Mrs Rogers and Mrs Lee taught us domestic science and who can forget the very scary Miss Nora Howesmith headmistress and italic writing class. Happy days with our purple gingham summer dresses and purple ties in the winter. Anybody interested in joining our get together would love to hear from you.
Cora L

Postby RMP » 11 Mar 2017, 20:14

Hello! Is there a "Lyn Davis" included in the picture? Looks like her. She is my niece. Smashing person. Had a daughter and a son. Now they are married and and have children.
RMP
AKA "Old and forgetful".
RMP

Postby EWW » 11 Mar 2017, 21:08

Lyn went to the High School in King street.
EWW

Postby RMP » 11 Mar 2017, 21:19

I thought they may have changed the name. DUH!

Thanks anyway. I still think it looks like our Lyn. The pretty one in the middle of the first picture.( Let me rephrase that. They are ALL pretty.)
RMP :oops:
RMP

Postby jueyrose42 » 15 Apr 2017, 20:08

Hi there, I went to Alderman Cateleugh from 70 - 78 and I think we were the last of the all girls classes and like it has been mentioned before, we use to enjoy the part of our lunchtime which merged with the boys break. Nora Howe Smith was the Headmistress when I was there and I was in class 1N when I started there and lived on the Reffley Estate. Mr Stevens was our dishy Science teacher and Mr Donald if I remember was the nicotine stained hands music teacher. Miss Goose was my PE Teacher and Miss Norman the French teacher who often had to send me to the corner of one of the mobiles. I was in the same class as Diane Farthing, Caroline Trevitt if anyone remembers them. My name is Julie Rose.
jueyrose42

Postby RMP » 17 Apr 2017, 15:16

Your Post was quite interesting. You certainly have a great memory. Unfortunately, I don't recall any of those name. I am an "Oldie". Only attended St. Mary's Catholic School and then to Wymondham College for just one year. Dropped out. Worse mistake I ever made!
Thank you for you Post.

Imagine Peace
RMP

Return to School