Alderman Catleugh Secondary Modern School for Boys

Add your school - share your school memories, contact your old school friends here, also posts on current school events are welcome.

Re: Alderman Catleugh Secondary Modern School for Boys

Postby Nyge » 10 Jul 2013, 09:33

Jim Lupson eventually moved to Castleton in Derbyshire where he could well still live today ... he in fact went to school with my brother and would now be about 75.
Nyge

Postby Nyge » 10 Jul 2013, 10:20

The school opened in 1957 because I was there on the first day.
Nyge

Postby Nyge » 10 Jul 2013, 10:27

I cannot remember any photographs being taken ... certainly there were never any official ones.
Mr Dawes was the last of the original teachers to leave the school when he retired ( but remember the school did change status) ... he lived in Pott Row and it is possible he is still lives there today.
AJ Chadwick spent his retirement in Sandy Lane although he was not very mobile ... he has a son and daughter who would now be 60 something.
Nyge

Postby Nyge » 10 Jul 2013, 10:39

Two teachers not mentioned:
Mr Wylie who taught geography and road a combination motorcycle ... he would ride in along London Road each day.
Mr Staff who taught RE and music .... he drove a sit up and beg old fashioned car and would travel in along Gayton Road in the Norwich direction each day ... he eventually moved to the Norwich area ... he always had the windows at school in his classroom wide open summer and winter! He was keen on football and we listened to Ipswich playing Norwich in the final.
Mrs Finbow worked in the school office and lived on Gaywood road.

More to follow if there is a demand.
Nyge

Postby Nyge » 10 Jul 2013, 10:49

Reply to Rod .... I remember you getting the slipper off Jim Lupson that day.
Also remember Jim Lupson at Gaywood Park ... he was very keen on boxing and would let us bash each other about ... remember he put me up against a chap called Gower who had muscles on muscles ... did I see the stars that day.
PE consisted only of boxing, cross country running and rope climbing.
Nyge

Postby Nyge » 10 Jul 2013, 19:14

Mr Humphries was the English teacher - do remember he had very long hair.
Nyge

Postby EWW » 30 Sep 2013, 20:35

rainbow123 wrote:I went there for 2yrs and left school in 1959 so it must have opened in 1957.....as I went there when it first opened and was mainly for country children to start with.

I went to the girls and my brother to the boys

I had to visit the school on Thursday last so asked of the opening date.
Rainbow has it spot on, 1957 :smt023
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby grenouilles » 20 Jan 2014, 17:50

I was there in 1962-65 and seem to remember "Chunky Chadwick" (AKA I'll bounce yer lad :lol: .....) then there was Durrant (PT) Basher Beaumont ( got wacked by him a few time as Vivian Newby and I were "targets" !!) always remember his saying " on ST is the best Pol I see" :? , Broom with his trusty steel rule (ouch :( Pierce (science) Wood the mad pianist (looked a bit like Harry Worth :lol: , Oh and those "cool" morning dips at the Lynn Walks outdoor Pool Brrrrrrrr :cry: , The Chap who used to do drama I cannot remember his name but he was quite rotund and an excellent swimmer - seem to recall that he used to be a the Peele School (Nr Long Sutton). I left in 65 to join the RN and finished my YTS with them in 1990 :lol: . Used to live in Leziate (brow o the hill) and used to have a few laughs on the Bedford school bus which was driven by old "Peg leg" (who used to smoke a disgusting old pipe cough cough :lol: . I expect most of my class have moved on now but I remember a couple from my class 4B Waterman, Hadley, Newby (cannot for the life of me think of all the christian names - sorry. I went back to Leziate about the time of Diana's death and the village had really changed, no golf course (now a sailing club!) and our old house Tyn-Y-Coed was a nature walk (Joseph Boam would turn in his grave)
Last edited by grenouilles on 21 Jan 2014, 13:22, edited 1 time in total.
grenouilles

Postby rutlander » 21 Jan 2014, 10:26

I was there between 1962 and Easter 1966, just made the Easter cut off date by one day!! or I would have had to stay until the summer. Spent life in the B stream.
rutlander

Postby MonkeyB » 22 Feb 2014, 17:42

I was there from 1971 to '76. I remember Arthur Vanderloo ( English, Geography and PE occasionally),
and Mr Hancock (History) with his goatee beard. I remember him slapping Angelo Abaté's face quite hard for being cheeky one day. Mr Lloyd was a good Maths and Physics teacher and good-humoured too. He lived at Flitcham. There was a Maths teacher who kids called 'Minced Morsels' but I can't remember his real name. Harwood ? And Mr Weston, who was a bit hippyish and told us about this vision of the future one of his pot-smoking friends had had.
MonkeyB

Postby michael_walker » 24 Feb 2014, 15:52

I am currently researching the history of Alderman Catleugh Boys' and Girls' schools with a view to producing a book. I should be very grateful if any contributors would like to email me with reminiscences of teachers or events. Photographs would also be very useful. I have already published books on the history of King Edward Vll School and the West Norfolk and King's Lynn Girls' High School. My email is michael@walker75.plus.com

Many thanks for any help you can give me.
michael_walker

Postby rainbow123 » 26 Feb 2014, 19:21

I still have my school report and I started there on 3rd September 1957 and left on 28th July 1959.
I had been to Gaywood Park for the two previous years but when Alderman Catleugh was due to open it was initialy for country children,with buses to and from school.My Mum gave me the choice of staying at Gaywood or moving to the new school.I choose to move but unfortunately the bus turned off before it got to our house so we still had to come into town on the service bus and then catch another to school.
I was there for two years and my younger brother who started the same day,was there for 4 years.
I don't remember any school photos being taken while I was there.
I do remember we were not allowed to mix with the boys on the playing field.
Miss Curtis was the head teacher and Miss Howe-smith the deputy head.
There was 31 in my class for teh first year,33 in the first term of the second year and 24 in my last term.
Rainbow123
rainbow123

Postby neill » 15 Mar 2014, 13:43

Hi, I have just come across this forum. I was there 1967-1972 and was deputy head boy 71/72. The head boy, Hugh H, was killed the following year in an accident at work. Does anyone remember going on the school cruise on the SS Uganda to Russia? I was 13 so must have been in June 1968.
neill

Postby Andy Leeder » 10 May 2014, 22:01

Went to AC from 74 to 78. Also my Sister Sandra Leeder was there from 72. We both went on school cruises around the med.
Andy Leeder

Postby fredkite » 15 Jun 2014, 16:47

The English/Drama teacher who was also a notable swimmer was Norman Elcombe. I can see him now taking to the water near St Germans bridge for the annual St Germans to Lynn swim.
fredkite

PreviousNext

Return to School