Alderman Catleugh Secondary Modern School for Boys

Add your school - share your school memories, contact your old school friends here, also posts on current school events are welcome.

Re: Alderman Catleugh Secondary Modern School for Boys

Postby EWW » 16 Jun 2012, 21:10

Jimmy Lupson was a teacher at Gaywood Park before he went to Catleugh's
as you say PE teacher.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby molskoi » 30 Jun 2012, 07:23

Jimmy Lupson dosen't ring any bells here, the only PE teachers I recall were Ken Gasby (ex Leeds Utd player) and Chapman can't remember his first name !
molskoi

Postby EWW » 30 Jun 2012, 08:46

Lupson was there as far as I can recall for a short while when the school first opened.
Our gymnastic club used to go there because they had a trampoline and Gaywood did
not have one at the time. Jimmy was always there when we went.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby rospaul » 23 Jul 2012, 16:28

EWW wrote:Jimmy Lupson was a teacher at Gaywood Park before he went to Catleugh's
as you say PE teacher.

:smt017 ...... Jimmy Lupson was PE teacher at GP when I first started there in 1955, I can recall my Father telling me at the time that Jims Dad was a local policeman ( Lynn Div.) for many years.

:smt006
Remember yesterday, dream about tomorrow, but live for today".
(Paul the dog walker)
rospaul

Postby PER » 23 Jul 2012, 17:25

He was Dick Chapman, lovely bloke and wonderful woodturner - see www.rmchapman.co.uk
PER

Alderman Catleugh Boys school 1966-1971

Postby Steve » 08 Feb 2013, 20:39

Hi,

I have just been reading some posts and I came across the messages regarding Alderman Catleugh School.
My term was 1966-1971, class A1, A2, A3 A4, S5, some very good friends, some have done very well and some not so!

Just from memory Chunky Chadwick- Headmaster, Basher Beaumont- deputy head, english teacher, Ducky Daws- Maths teacher, Ireson, mad as a hatty music teacher, Broom, Steelwork and metal, Page, French teacher, Bocking- Arts and Crafts, Barker-Rural Studies,
Pierce Science teacher, sadly he lost his son after he swallowed mercury, Sawer- woodwork with his leather strap up his sleeve. There was a guy called Easter, Maths but he went off to Terrington or ???????????
Think it was Muran??? (american) History, had two daughters, Catherine & ?????
Mr Lesley, PE and ???? Lupson (ex Leeds and England footballer) PE and there was another , can't think??? Nellie Elcombe, English teacher, brilliant swimmer in tha cold pool at the back.
We was put in there is the water was 10c and above.

The houses were Vancouver, Keen and two others ??????

Some pupils that I know who have died since then. Betts, brilliant swimmer but drown at Leziate pits. Peter Custard ? motor cyle accident, Steve Sutterby, motorcyle accident.
Peter Nichols- cancer, there are probably more.

As with us all age takes names and memories but we had good times and I guess some bad

Just hope this jogs a few memories
Steve

alderman catleugh boys school

Postby Steve » 08 Feb 2013, 20:47

Hi All,

just left a post about Catleughs school, sorry all it was Ken Gadsby who was the footballer not Lupson!!!
Hope this clarifies the situation.
Just on another note, I remember doing a sponsored walk to buy a school coach (bus), does anybody else remember??
Steve

Postby Jools » 10 Feb 2013, 20:44

My brother David Kramarchuk from Gayton, affectionally known as Krummy, was there from 1967 until 1972.

Anyone remember him?
Jools

Postby captain » 15 Feb 2013, 18:10

I was in the same class for some years with David Kramarchuk, big guy, fairly quiet, or seemed that way in comparison to some classmates.
captain

Postby Molotov » 15 Feb 2013, 18:32

Originaly at Gaywood Park School in class 2b when Alderman Catleugh school opened.I think it must have been about 1957. Many of my class ,who were in that catchment area joined children from outlining villages and were transfered to the new school. Later when we moved house to Queen elizabeth avenue I requested a trasfer and move to Catleugh's and rejoined my old classmates now in the A stream. I left school October 1959 when I got an Electrical apprentiship.
Would love to find some class photographs , have never seen any, or remember any being taken
has anybody else seen any . I can still smell that horrible new polish smell when returning back to school for the start of a new term!
Molotov

Postby rutlander » 17 Feb 2013, 16:02

Mr Playford was another teacher there, he came from st James juniors about 1962?
rutlander

Postby fredkite » 25 Feb 2013, 18:13

The chap who taught PE for some time was the late Ken Gadsby - ex Leeds (and England?) player - see http://www.lufctalk.com/stats/players/137.html
fredkite

Postby Jools » 08 Apr 2013, 12:07

captain wrote:I was in the same class for some years with David Kramarchuk, big guy, fairly quiet, or seemed that way in comparison to some classmates.

Hi. That's him. Still big and quiet. Do you mind telling me your name and I will let him know.
Jools

Postby oldschool » 10 Jun 2013, 22:10

I was there 64-68. Further to previous replies, the houses were bell ,hillen, keen and Vancouver. Mr Easter used to hit you with a plimsole on the hand ,but asked if there was anything wrong with it before he hit you. Mr Playford had just the sole of a plimsole. Mr Broom used a long steel ruler. Yes they were the days of discipline. Mr Beaumont was very good with scaled down steam engines and sometimes brought them into class.He also published books on the subject. I think Mr Durrant was the other p.e teacher. Nicky Brett was the lad who drowned at Leziate.
oldschool

Postby rod » 23 Jun 2013, 19:26

Molotov wrote:Originaly at Gaywood Park School in class 2b when Alderman Catleugh school opened.I think it must have been about 1957. Many of my class ,who were in that catchment area joined children from outlining villages and were transfered to the new school. Later when we moved house to Queen elizabeth avenue I requested a trasfer and move to Catleugh's and rejoined my old classmates now in the A stream. I left school October 1959 when I got an Electrical apprentiship.
Would love to find some class photographs , have never seen any, or remember any being taken
has anybody else seen any . I can still smell that horrible new polish smell when returning back to school for the start of a new term!

I also transferred from Gaywood Park in '57. One memory that has never left me was being 'slippered' by Lupson in the changing rooms. Sure I deserved it and I can still vividly remember how much it hurt!
rod

PreviousNext

Return to School