Alderman Catleugh Secondary Modern School for Boys

Add your school - share your school memories, contact your old school friends here, also posts on current school events are welcome.

Alderman Catleugh Secondary Modern School for Boys

Postby molskoi » 20 Apr 2012, 22:51

Any users here that used to go here from 1968-73 ?
molskoi

Re: Alderman Catleugh Secondary Modern School for Boys

Postby rutlander » 23 Apr 2012, 08:45

No, but I was there from 1962 until 1966, It's strange that there is not more about the school on this site. Was "Chunky" Chadwick still headmaster when you were there?
rutlander

Postby maureen.dunnett » 23 Apr 2012, 18:25

The school opened around 1962 , My son went there for a short time until we moved away from the area. The school blazers were very distinctive i think they were grey with a purple school badge. Originally the school gave priority to children with a religious background and favoured the Catholic religion.. Don't know if that is still the case, which i very much doubt. Anyway I was very impressed with the school although my son was only there a short time. M Dunnett
maureen.dunnett

Postby maureen.dunnett » 23 Apr 2012, 18:29

BY the way Catleughs was THE posh shop where my King's Lynn High School uniform was bought. The shop was very quaint and upper class, I felt I had to be very quiet when going for my uniform it was quite an experience.
maureen.dunnett

Postby EWW » 23 Apr 2012, 18:33

Hope you have seen the pictures of the inside of the shop in the broad st thread Maureen?
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby molskoi » 23 Apr 2012, 19:53

rutlander wrote:No, but I was there from 1962 until 1966, It's strange that there is not more about the school on this site. Was "Chunky" Chadwick still headmaster when you were there?

Yip Chunky was still there between 68 and 73, as well as Mr Beaumont, Mr Dawes, Mr Pearce etc ... good times indeed ! And yes there is a lack of info about this school ! Anyone got any photos ? There are a few posted on the Friends Reunited site, take a look !
molskoi

Postby EWW » 23 Apr 2012, 20:04

[quote="molskoi

And yes there is a lack of info about this school ! Anyone got any photos ?
[/quote]

Have you got any Molskoi ?
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby molskoi » 23 Apr 2012, 22:32

Haven't got any old school photos personally but as i said in the last post there are several on the FR site ... been out of KL for a good few years now but I like to keep in touch with the old town :-)
molskoi

Postby rainbow123 » 25 Apr 2012, 17:06

I went there for 2yrs and left school in 1959 so it must have opened in 1957.....as I went there when it first opened and was mainly for country children to start with.

I went to the girls and my brother to the boys
Rainbow123
rainbow123

Postby fredkite » 10 May 2012, 21:36

I think Albert (or was it Arthur) Chadwick was the first and only headmaster there. He died a few years ago aged 90 if I recall correctly.
fredkite

Postby rutlander » 11 May 2012, 14:42

I seem to recall the uniform was a grey blazer with purple edging and grey trousers and matching cap, looked really silly then, but we had to wear it! my brother who went to Gaywood Park used to take the mick out of us who went there.
rutlander

Postby molskoi » 11 May 2012, 22:42

fredkite wrote:I think Albert (or was it Arthur) Chadwick was the first and only headmaster there. He died a few years ago aged 90 if I recall correctly.

I looked on my old report book, his initals were AC Chadwick ... the teachers when I was there were, Mr Beaumont (english lit), Mr Inson (music), Mr Pearce (science), Mr Monen (history), Mr Dawes (maths), Mr Page (geog), Mr Unsworth (tech drawing), Mr Sawyer (woodwork), Mr Broom (metalwork)
molskoi

Postby rutlander » 12 May 2012, 15:49

We had Mr Wood asa our music teacher, he hit me over the hand with a violin bow and broke it and every one laughed, also Mr Playford? he moved from St James Junior school.
rutlander

Postby molskoi » 12 May 2012, 21:51

Indeed I remember Mr Playford as well, was he not 'Arts n Crafts ? ..... also Mr Chapman and Mr Gasby as PE Teachers . The teachers in those days used to be quite brutal, flinging bits of chalk, board rubbers in my direction on many occassions .. remember the strap and slipper not forgetting Chadwicks 'cane' .... ouch ! ... teachers today would get jailed for assult, but looking back it did us no harm, just good memories !
molskoi

Postby barney47 » 16 Jun 2012, 21:04

certainly opened before 1962 as left in that year - and 1957 seems about right. teachers then were certainly 'chunky' chadwick as head...remember beaumont for maths as was dawes believe that taught at diff levels....certainly sawyer for woodwork and broom for metalwork...lupson sticks in my mind for p.e. as caught throwing shoes in changing rooms with 2 other school mates and we suffered by being hit by the amount of shoes being thrown - certainly sticks in the mind as it did elsewhere on the day !!.......happy days eh.
barney47

Next

Return to School