St James Boys Primary School (now greyfriars)

Add your school - share your school memories, contact your old school friends here, also posts on current school events are welcome.

St James Boys Primary School (now greyfriars)

Postby Mivalanchi » 15 Dec 2007, 17:17

The two senior classes. 1947
Teachers from left:- ? Mr Beaumont ? Mr Baker (Head) Mr Turner ? ?
It must have been a slow camera exposure as some of the faces are blurred

Mivalanchi

ST JAMES BOYS SCHOOL

Postby rospaul » 08 Mar 2009, 22:16

I've just found this photograph of Mr Warnes Class of 1951-2 at the old St James Boys School off London Rd.
I will have to study it for a while and see if I can remember some of the names, why oh why don't we put them on the back at the time ?? I'm on the front row fourth from the left.

:smt006
Remember yesterday, dream about tomorrow, but live for today".
(Paul the dog walker)
rospaul

Re: ST JAMES BOYS SCHOOL

Postby Emmo » 31 Mar 2009, 18:30

Nice one Paul, I can make out one or two, Peter (rusty), Vic Troughton, Peter Langford, will have another look later. Mr. Warnes was a nice teacher, i remember he was good at table tennis.
Emmo

Re: ST JAMES BOYS SCHOOL

Postby Oathead » 01 Apr 2009, 05:44

I also went there,but not untill the mid 70's as i am still a young man :D

Mr Thaxter was the headmaster then.

He now owns and has for years Thaxters at Dearsinham

He was also a nice man.

There was a teacher there called Mr Fry who had a son Robert who i was good friends with.

But he died before we moved up to KES.

Still think about him got a tear in my eye now :(
Lets Rock
Oathead

Re: St James Boys Primary School (now greyfriars)

Postby MrTed » 30 Dec 2011, 11:08

Same here!

After reading this post I went to Thaxters in Dersingham and asked after him but the guy said that it was his brother Richard Thaxter who owned the garden center. Peter Thaxter (Headmaster) helped run it for ten years but retired fully a few years ago and now lives in Hunstanton. I once met Peter in the early 90's in Goathland in North Yorkshire. I went back there after remembering a great school trip we had there in the 70's. He couldn't believe that I had returned after so many years and we spent a great evening in the local pub harking on about the old school days. Apparently he went back every year to hike the hills.
I've got an old shot of Mr Rosenburg somewhere so i'll post that when I find it. Just remembered Mr Liddle too! OMG, and swimming with polystyrene floats in the swimming pool (badly)...

Great days.
MrTed

Postby kickaha » 15 Feb 2012, 02:58

MrTed wrote:I've got an old shot of Mr Rosenburg somewhere so i'll post that when I find it. Just remembered Mr Liddle too! OMG, and swimming with polystyrene floats in the swimming pool (badly)...

I remember most of the teacher there during my stay - mostly due to their methods of punishment :D

Mr. Liddle got me hooked on computers after the school took delivery of a BBC Micro. We used to frequently bunk assembly to play games on it. He got hooked also as he ended up becoming the Network Manager at NORCAT. The last time I heard, I think he was at one of the Universities in Manchester.

I remember Mr Rosenburg. He used to give guitar lessons. Mr Fry was a nice bloke unless you crossed the line. I was on the end of his legendary 'studded slipper' a couple of times. Mr Thaxter was another person you didn't want to make angry :) .
Mrs Ellis, she would tick you off by stepping on your toes before shifting her whole weight onto them. Mr Jackson, a nice bloke but went red with fury before putting two metre rulers together and whacking you first over the knuckles and then making you turn your hands over for a palm shot.
Mrs Pope the music teacher. Mr Saines (spelling?) the PE teacher. Mr. Bush, possibly the scariest teacher ever! He used to pick kids up by the ears, bringing them to face level before bellowing at them.

Teachers like these wouldn't half sort the youth of today out :D
kickaha

Postby Hawthorne49 » 24 Jul 2012, 23:09

Hi everyone. I taught at St James Boys in 1988 and 1989, just before it became Greyfriars (Mrs Hawkins). Very interesting to hear the different punishments used! Yes, they were certainly an eclectic bunch of teachers. I bump into Mrs Ellis from time to time. Sadly Chris Saines died last year.

I was still quite new to teaching when I joined St James, and was amazed that the boys were still addressed by their surnames. Couldn't believe it when we went on a school trip somewhere and, as we piled off the coach, Mr Thaxter just looked at his watch and said "Right, everyone back here at 2" and let the boys just go off! :shock: Certainly wouldn't allow that nowadays.
Hawthorne49

Postby Daz66 » 05 Dec 2012, 21:11

I too was a pupil at St James Boys Primary school from 1971 to 1976 and remember the teachers mentioned, Mr Fry, Mr Liddle and Mr Jackson who was my form teacher in my final year he had an array of slippers for administering punishment one of which was an old plimsoll sole with drawing pins pushed through.

I remember one time a child from another form was brought into the classroom over some misdemeanor or other and was presented with the array of footwear, including Mr Jackson's rather large and heavy boot, and asked which one he wanted as punishment. Mr Jackson then picked up the one with the drawing pins in and slammed it on the table and said that was his favourite and that was what he was going to use, the boy nearly fainted on the spot then Mt Jackson yelled at him to get out and next time he was sent there he would use his favourite ..... I don't think that boy has ever put a foot wrong again!!!

I do remember Mrs Seaman who taught music, I learned the recorder with her and can still puff out British Grenadaires on my kids recorder some 40yrs later!!!

I do remember a few names from back then but not many, when I left the school I went to Downham Market Boys School as we had moved to Magdalen by then.

I've just seen this website and hope to find out more about my mothers family and the wonderful history of lynn which is my town of birth. I now live in Surrey but my roots are firmly in Lynn.
Daz66

Postby mark rand » 13 Dec 2013, 00:39

An old thread, but what the heck.

I was at St James from 1965 to 1969. I remember Mrs Libby (1st form), Messrs Bottomley and Harrison (2nd form), Mr Fisher (3rd form), a young Mr Thaxter (4th form) and above all, Mr Baker was The HeadMaster.

Burned into my mind was Mr Baker's playing of Sibelius's Finlandia as a prelude to morning assembly. I still love that music.
mark rand

Postby Diddly Dom » 16 Dec 2013, 22:43

I was also at St James Boys School from 1977,i remember my first classroom was in the old tech building at the old hospital end of the school, my first teacher was Mr Hamon/Hamond I can't remember which it was, he was a fearsome character most of the time,whether you upset him or not, he kept us in trim that's for sure!! A work colleague delivers his mail, so he must be knocking on a bit now!! I was also taught by Mr. Liddle, twice, second and forth year and Mr Jackson in the third year.
Diddly Dom

Postby MrTed » 28 Sep 2015, 08:52

Just found this picture of myself & Mr Rosenburg in the background buying ice creams for us. It was taken on a school trip to York in 1979 I think.
The boy behind me in the light blue shirt is Michael Lindsey.
The other older guy on the right may have been a teacher but if it is I can't remember him...

MrTed

Postby Emmo » 22 May 2016, 14:09

This is a picture from 1955/6 school football team, we were winners of the local cup for primary schools. I`m the one in the front with the cup. I will try and remember the names. Back row: .... Allen, M. Bunton, Barry Gaskin, Richard Bridges, Denis Bunting, Ellis, Mr. Harrison, Robert Wilson. Middle Row: ...., ...., Alan Buck, ...., Michael Chilvers. Front Row: Rodney Howlett, ...., Me, Richard Hunter, John Cork.

Emmo

Postby Papa Smurf » 17 Jul 2018, 21:35

MrTed wrote:Just found this picture of myself & Mr Rosenburg in the background buying ice creams for us. It was taken on a school trip to York in 1979 I think.
The boy behind me in the light blue shirt is Michael Lindsey.
The other older guy on the right may have been a teacher but if it is I can't remember him...

The other guy looks like Chris Saines. Another old St.James Boys teacher who's sadly no longer with us. He also used to go on the North Yorkshire trips with Rosenburg, Thaxter et al.
Papa Smurf

Return to School