St James school

Add your school - share your school memories, contact your old school friends here, also posts on current school events are welcome.

Re: St James school

Postby chihuahua606 » 14 Jan 2011, 19:06

Interesting to read about the teacher Mrs DeKuyser (sp) her daughter Jeanette and I were best friends at St James.

As a teacher she was really strict and scarey - in her own home she was the same, although I was more scared of her than Jeanette. I seem to remember they weren't in the area very long and moved away.
chihuahua606

Postby apollonine » 14 Jan 2011, 20:00

Hello chihuahua, Vera De Keyzer has been friends with my Mum all her life, when me and my sisters were kids we were often at their house in Bishops Road, Gaywood and used to play with Jeanette and her brother Ian she was always very kind to us. My Mum still visits Vera regularly at her house in Horning on the Norfolk Broads where she now lives... :)
"Treat everyday as your last as one day you're gonna be right"
apollonine

Postby chihuahua606 » 15 Jan 2011, 13:59

Hello Appolonine,
I had forgotten about Ian, I remember now.

yes, I visited their house quite a lot, but as a rather shy child it was a bit intimidating to be in the home of one of my teachers.

I lived very near the school, so mostly friends came to me.

Mrs DeKyser must be very elderly now. Do you know what happened to Jeanette - she was a lot more extrovert than me and led me into mischief on more than one occasion?

From memory the family were only at that school for one or maybe two school years and then moved on. I had actually forgotten until I saw the name on here.
chihuahua606

Postby rospaul » 30 Mar 2011, 17:19

Another old photograph from my late Mother-in-laws collection, it shows some of the girls at St James School at Easter 1930.

:smt006
Remember yesterday, dream about tomorrow, but live for today".
(Paul the dog walker)
rospaul

Postby apollonine » 26 May 2011, 17:21

Mrs Dekeyser has now sadly passed away, attached a photo of her many years ago when her 3 children were very young. It must have been the early 50's...

"Treat everyday as your last as one day you're gonna be right"
apollonine

Postby EWW » 26 May 2011, 19:30

Baptism maybe as that is St Nicholas chapel.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby steree » 20 Sep 2011, 23:44

Are there any old girls out there who attended St James Primary Girls who left in the summer of 1967 to move on to secondary school? There appears to be a shortage of photographic memories. I also attended the Infants School. Mrs Singleton, Miss Driver, Miss Lawson and Miss Davison were my teachers at primary and the head was Miss Bartlett. An earlier post refers to Irene Lake. Her sister Stephanie was in my year.

My late grandmother, Mil Hewitt, lived closeby at Wyatt Street that's now demolished, and other Hewitts lived in the Terrace behind the school.

I have a distinct memory of the streetlamp lighter coming to light the street light on the corner of Wyatt Street during my time at the school.

There is an active old girls group on Facebook for the West Norfolk and Kings Lynn High School for Girls and many girls from St James went on to there.
steree

Postby chihuahua606 » 07 Oct 2012, 23:24

Thank you Appollonine for the pic, I can now remember the face even after all those years. The little girl must be Jeanette.
chihuahua606

Postby pspooner » 12 Oct 2012, 04:43

These 2 photos were published in connection with the retirement of Miss Gladys Watts, headmistress of St. James Primary Girls School for 31 years. The one outside with Paxton Terrace behind the group was published April 11, 1963 (is on reverse of clipping) and the other from the Lynn News & Advertiser probably very close to the same date.

Some names from photo outside:
At left with glasses and headband, partially obscured is Rosemary Locke.
Irene Lake is on the right of Miss Watts just next to her shoulder.
The 2 girls in front with blazers are Margaret Salmon and I think Janice Williamson. Between them perhaps Valerie (?).

From photo with bigger group:
Immediately behind Miss Watts is Theresa Henry (short dark hair) and Irene Lake in her yellow and green school tie.
In front of Miss Watts with dark hair is Janice Booth.

pspooner

Postby EWW » 22 Mar 2013, 11:23

I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby EWW » 17 Jan 2014, 22:22

EWW

Postby desira37 » 17 Jan 2014, 23:33

Thanks Ev but if this is Paxton Terrace I don't remember there ever being boys there.
desira37

Postby Star Lady » 18 Jan 2014, 09:00

There were no boys at the Paxton Terrace side Desira, certainly not between 1955-61.
The only boys were in the Infants (5-7 years) which was behind the Girls school. The window configuration seems wrong too, unless this was taken in the quad space between the two schools. There is a reflection of other windows in the 3rd window along so this may be a possiblity. There also seems to be a high building to the left of the photo casting shadow which could possibly be one side of the quad.
Star Lady

Postby desira37 » 18 Jan 2014, 10:38

I don't remember ever being able to get round the school. At the end of the right hand side there was a brick wall with a gate in it which Mr. Whitely the caretaker used to go through he had a granddaughter ? Joan. We went into school from the entrance on the right and the toilet block was also on the right of the school. The entrance to the school on the left hand side was were the headmistress office was and we used to go there to be weighed and measured. It was dark at that end because of trees.
desira
desira37

Postby desira37 » 18 Jan 2014, 10:45

Correction-- Mr. Whiley was the caretaker
desira37

PreviousNext

Return to School