OLD TEC SCHOOL

Add your school - share your school memories, contact your old school friends here, also posts on current school events are welcome.

Postby EWW » 09 Sep 2007, 17:54

I have posted some pics of Pleasant Row on here Bill. If you put the name
in "search" up it will come.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby Mivalanchi » 09 Sep 2007, 18:03

I spoke to my Brother today and he informed me that Olly Davidson was at one time headmaster of St Margarets School
Mivalanchi

Postby EWW » 09 Sep 2007, 18:07

Thanks Miv.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

OLD TEC

Postby roger » 09 Sep 2007, 19:36

The photo with Ollie on is not St Margarets it was a single story building, it is a possibility that it is All Saints. Roger.
Be up when they lay
roger

Re: OLD TEC SCHOOL

Postby raybay » 02 Apr 2008, 19:53

Re Tech College: Looking at the facts. The pic is definitely Ollie Davidson who looks about 40 in the snap. The Tech College replaced the old one in 1894; In 1943 Ollie became headmaster of Gaywood Park Secondary Boys' School when "Truffy" Longman left, a few months after I arrived from St James'. Incidentally there is a H B Longman listed as headmaster on the postcard (the same?). Ollie was succeeded by Mr Carter, recently demobbed, the year being when I left at 14 (1946).

Assuming Ollie was born the same year the Tech was built that would make the pic around the 1920s which fits with the clothing style worn by the boys.

During the war the Tech was taken over by the evacuees from Hackney Downs, for some reason the authorities didnt mix the local lads with our wartime guests.

While Ollie was headmaster at Gaywood Park, his wife was also a teacher there and I have a vague feeling his daughter also helped out. You have to remember there was a shortage of teachers then, particularly males.
:smt006
Nobody owns tomorrow. RAYBAY
raybay

Postby delbert » 19 Feb 2009, 22:29

gymnastics display was perfomed by this group in the old technical college hall 1937/8

bott row left to right
no 2 george walsh
no3 percy southwell
no4 sid bowers
no7 don loadsby
no10 ? colville...... father worked in lin can boilerhouse
no 11 sid english
no16 geof hodgeson

middle row
no2 norman joplin
no3 ray everitt
no11 philip foreman ( would have been 11 or 12)
no14 doug hill
no15 banty ewing
"go placidly amid the noise and haste"
delbert

Postby EWW » 21 Feb 2009, 10:42

Nice to see a pic of Philip in his younger day Del,

Don Loasby was a big ol boy, his son, young Don is even bigger.
I used to fish his boat "Iceni Warrior" good skipper he was too
(when he was sober) :D
EWW

OLD TEC SCHOOL

Postby RMP » 30 May 2010, 18:40

EWW. Did Uncle George and Aunt Barbara live on Pleasant Row? Also, how is John Goodbody doing?
Thanks.
RMP

Imagine peace
RMP

Postby EWW » 30 May 2010, 19:08

Yes RMP mentioned in the WINDSOR ROAD thread. Dunno if John is still alive even.
EWW

Postby 8 boston square » 05 Sep 2013, 14:22

My first year at Lynn Tec was at the Old Tec, this would have been I think 1962, we also had lessons at Park Annexe, opposite the Police Station, they were old Nissan Huts as were the ones in New Conduit Street and that other gem the St James's Club in St James Street. Morning break was 15 minutes and that usually meant walking from one site to another whilst trying to grab a bite and a drink. The one hour lunch break entailed a quick trip to the New Tec, 15/20 minutes each way and fit in a quick bite at the Refectory.
The first year advantage was getting to the station for the 1609 home to Hunstanton. In the second year with a hasty exit you could still catch that train, non stop to Heacham, or you waited for the 1625 all stations to Hunstanton. I reckon I travelled over 20,000 miles by train just going and coming home by train, happy days.
8 boston square

Postby Pete Thatcher » 24 Apr 2015, 20:19

I remember doing exactly the same routes as you. I started Tech in '63, and went on the Dereham train for the first couple of years. I lived at Whissonsett and so had to lodge in Kings Lynn for the week, and go home on Friday night, and return on Monday morning. This was a logistical nightmare, making sure you had got everything for the week on Monday morning, then lugging cases of clothes, books, and Pe gear (PE was last thing on a Friday at the NEW Tech building - so you had to run with suitcases/bags etc etc to catch the train. It certainly kept you fit. Added to all this, I lodged in North LYNN -32 Sea Bank Way( Mrs Shephard - lovely lady looked after us well, fed us on plant of fish!!!!- which was quite a walk as well. Books seemed to weigh extremely heavy then……
Things improved in my 3rd and 4th years when I did A levels, as we didn't have to go from building to building, and the rail line had closed so we had a bus.
Pete Thatcher

1952 school trip to Snowdonia

Postby Researcher » 05 Jul 2016, 13:28

Hi I am looking for anybody that was on the school trip to Snowdonia in 1952. I have found photos of this trip in my mothers collection. I might upload the photos at a later date. I'm not exactly sure which school she went to. Her name was Ann Whittington. She goes by the name of Joy. If there is anybody out there that can remember I would be gratefully appreciative if they could get in touch. Thanks. G.
Researcher

Re: 1952 school trip to Snowdonia

Postby Researcher » 05 Jul 2016, 20:53

I have studied some more photos and it would seem my mum went to Kings Lynn technical college. I know she left in 1953 and she was there in 1948. Any help would be appreciated.

Researcher

Postby Researcher » 09 Jul 2016, 18:17

This is one of the pictures from the Snowdonia trip. Any familiar faces?

Researcher

Previous

Return to School