GRAMMAR SCHOOL ONE HUNDRED YEARS OLD

Add your school - share your school memories, contact your old school friends here, also posts on current school events are welcome.

Re: GRAMMAR SCHOOL ONE HUNDRED YEARS OLD

Postby EWW » 01 Nov 2013, 10:16

Bit of a longshot I know, but can anyone tell me who was the main building contractor
for building the Grammar. I have tried for months now to find out with no luck whatsoever.
I think it would have been to big a job for local builders, but I may be wrong.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby spainguy » 01 Nov 2013, 11:39

I can't help you about the building contractors, but I was told that the bricks came from the brickworks at Bawsey.
spainguy

Alderman Catleugh Secondary Modern School for Boys

Postby maureen.dunnett » 11 May 2014, 17:30

Anyone remember my Brother Kenneth Fox? Kenneth went to the King Edward V11 grammar school, also was involved in Amateur Dramatics. Sadly He passed away on the 15th April whilst on Holiday. Kenneth has lived in Jersey for many years but always came back to King,s Lynn whenever time permitted. Regards - Maureen Dunnett (Sister)
maureen.dunnett

KES in the early 1950s.

Postby Ronhowell » 07 Apr 2015, 21:27

Greetings from Southern California to all the OLs on the planet!
Just came across this website recently . There don't appear to be many posts from the 50s period, so I thought I would start some.
I attended KES from 1948 - 1953, leaving after the 5th form for an apprenticeship with Vickers Armstrong in Weybridge, Surrey, where they were building Viscounts and Valiants at the time. Those in their mid-70s+ out there will remember.

I too have one of the panoramic photos referred to previously, taken in June, 1949. Sam Gudgin was the headmaster at that time, being replaced by A H (aka Slasher) Sleigh I think in 1952. I have copied some of the middle section of the panorama, which are shown below, together with the 1952/53 School football 1st XI.

Somewhat strict, but happy times I must say, at least for me. The school has changed greatly since those days, as have we all!

My buddy Bob Neve is upper left, next to John Lupson. Brother Jim was a good mile runner.

I am seated shown lower right, next to Dick Stibbon and Pete McCall. Pete was a good football player.
Ronhowell

Postby Ronhowell » 07 Apr 2015, 23:26

veryoldgit wrote:Re.Willy Whitehead, knew him well, taught French and Latin. He had 6 children and lived in King George V Ave. When he left he emigrated to Canada.

I remember him too. When I attended KES (1948-53) he was teaching English. I still have his comments on my old school reports!
Ronhowell

Postby littleoldboy » 15 Apr 2016, 11:35

The BBC is visiting Kings Lynn Academy as it now is, on Wed 20 April 2016 to do some filming for the Queen's 90th Birthday. They have some footage from the 1950s and want to do a then and now. They are looking to talk to former pupils who met the Queen. If you have and are looking for a few seconds of fame, contact Rebecca.Schrooder@kingslynnacademy.co.uk

I met her at the Centenary, but live too far away now

Little Old Boy
littleoldboy

Postby Ronhowell » 15 May 2016, 17:09

Actually the school now known as Kings Lynn Academy was previously the old Gaywood Park school, not the former King Edward VII grammar school. The latter is also now designated as an Academy, for whatever reason, and is now co-ed of course.
Ron.
Ronhowell

Postby EWW » 29 Oct 2016, 22:15

Statue on its way to the school from Lynn station.

I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby EWW » 01 Apr 2017, 09:40

I asked if anyone knew who was the main contractor for building the Grammar and had this reply from spainguy.
Maybe the people in this picture of Bawsey brickmakers were making bricks for KES.

spainguy wrote:I can't help you about the building contractors, but I was told that the bricks came from the brickworks at Bawsey.

EWW

Postby EWW » 06 Nov 2018, 13:38

The King on his way to open the grammar.

EWW

Previous

Return to School