Alderman Catleugh Boys' and Girls' Schools

Add your school - share your school memories, contact your old school friends here, also posts on current school events are welcome.

Alderman Catleugh Boys' and Girls' Schools

Postby michael_walker » 24 Feb 2014, 14:45

I am currently researching the history of Alderman Catleugh Boys' and Girls' schools with a view to producing a book. I should be very grateful if any contributors would like to email me with reminiscences of teachers or events. Photographs would also be very useful. I have already published books on the history of King Edward Vll School and the West Norfolk and King's Lynn Girls' High School. My email is michael@walker75.plus.com

Many thanks for any help you can give me.
michael_walker

Re: Alderman Catleugh Boys' and Girls' Schools

Postby grenouille » 25 Jan 2015, 16:34

Hi Michael I did a posting last year as I was at the school 62-65 but old comrades did not come forward sadly, used to have photos but alas they disappeared over the years! Would be interested to know how you get on? (les.grenouilles37@gmail.com). Cheers Pete Oldham
grenouille

Postby rutlander » 27 Jan 2015, 08:30

Hi Pete, I was there at the same time as you, I was in the B stream I think it was called, Mr Playford was my first teacher there followed by Mr Sawyer.
rutlander

Postby aws » 27 Jan 2015, 19:31

Hi There. I was at Alderman Catleugh boys school from 63 to 67 and I do have pictures of football and basketball teams I still see John Playford and Jeff Dawes and have also meet Jim Lupson last year.
aws

Postby EWW » 05 Feb 2016, 20:41

Sad to read in the local today of the passing James (Jimmy) Lupson.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby Shorty » 07 Jul 2017, 23:03

aws wrote:Hi There. I was at Alderman Catleugh boys school from 63 to 67 and I do have pictures of football and basketball teams I still see John Playford and Jeff Dawes and have also meet Jim Lupson last year.

I too was at Catleughs around then.
I remember Mr Dawes was a cracking shot with his blackboard rubber if he caught you doing something wrong.
I stayed until the first year the CSE came out, and "Chunky" insisted on interrupting the 'tech' entrance exam to try and persuade some of us to stay on, instead of going to tech to take 'O' levels. Needless to say, that made us all the more determined to leave! I left with Paul Bracey (who went into teaching history in Northampton) and Richard Cole, who now lives in Thetford, and others.
I, for my sins, left the tech to get married and moved north later to be a builder.
Rob(in) Taylor from East Winch.
Shorty

Postby Nyge » 12 Jan 2018, 23:58

Hi Folks,
I go back to that first day in 1957 when it all started and I was in Year 2. Just knocked me back to learn Jim Lupson has passed on - he was a great guy and well liked.
I left at Christmas 1959 and went to Lynn Tech where I started on an Engineering course - that was a fantastic place. Later I move to London and Lancaster Universities where I took Physics and Mathematics.
Now retired in Felixstowe after being a Physics teacher 33 years. Currently I continue to work as a civilian for the local Police.
Currently 73 years and my name is Nigel M Chettleburgh.
yes I have many happy thoughts from Alderman Catleugh school and can rattle on for some time. My educational downfall was spelling since I was never diagnosed as somewhat deaf!
Warmest wishes to anyone who knows me.
Will rattle on if a link is made.
Nyge

Postby EWW » 13 Jan 2018, 11:38

Once had the slipper off Jimmy L in the gym at Gaywood Pk. Think I still have imprint on my maximus gluteus. :D
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby John King » 14 Jan 2018, 23:30

I remember you Nigel, you were athletic and I not. I avoided sports for some reason. I went to Tech on engineering course and left after one year (by mutual consent) then woke up and started studying again becoming a Chartered Accountant. Now 70, married and living near Diss
John King

Alderman Catleugh boys and girls School

Postby grenouille » 06 Feb 2018, 11:54

I am trying to contact old school mates from Alderman Catleugh school which I attended from 1962 - 65 Thanks Pete Oldham
grenouille

Postby EWW » 24 Jul 2019, 08:44

Does anyone have a picture of the Alderman Catleugh school badge please.

Or an original badge they can photocopy.
EWW

Postby Tresagreen » 24 Jul 2019, 11:36

This any good Ev, it's in Bob Booths book, Kings Lynn Schools........ Michael Walker did a whole book on AC, probably be a picture in there too. T

Tresagreen

Postby EWW » 24 Jul 2019, 15:20

Thank you Ms Green. I will have to see if I have a copy of michaels book tucked away somewhere.
That is quite a good copy though.
EWW

Postby Tresagreen » 24 Jul 2019, 15:56

Always happy to help. T
Tresagreen

Return to School