The Ship P.H. No.23 Bridge Street.

Interested in the history of the area or sharing memories or old photos from the local area? Post here.

The Ship P.H. No.23 Bridge Street.

Postby Appso » 05 Oct 2021, 17:16

Having my regular look at KL Forum today, I was interested in the latest post regarding the Greenland Fishery and associated maps. In this short road there are 5 pubs shown. On the west side, The Ship, The Greenland Fishery, The Beehive and The Hulk. On the opposite side was The Railway Tavern. Plenty of pictures of the Greenland Fishery and I have my own photo of The Hulk (see Norfolk Pubs) What was The Beehive, the building still stands. The Railway Tavern will probably pre-date photography and it later became The New Railway Tavern then Lady Bridge Tavern in 1888. Has anyone a photo of 'The Ship' on the corner of Bridge Street and Boal Street please? It was closed after being bombed on 12/6/1941, so 100 years into the photography era. Thanks.
Appso

Re: The Ship P.H. No.23 Bridge Street.

Postby EWW » 05 Oct 2021, 19:27

I do not have a picture of the front of the pub but this picture is pre WW2 so it is on here. Best I can do.

I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby EWW » 05 Oct 2021, 20:15

It will be in this picture also.

I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby Appso » 06 Oct 2021, 16:52

Thanks for posting the pictures EWW. If I have picked out the correct building in pics. 1 & 2 it is gable end to Bridge Street with Boal Street to it's left as we look at the photos. Your 3rd pic. looked at this for a while thinking the cameraman was facing north but I now think that he is standing in Church street facing south. If this assumption is correct I have two questions, what is the building on the left with the chappie standing outside? is this a pub?
You say that The Ship should be in the third picture, which building do you think it is? as they are hipped end to Bridge Street not gable.
From the pest Appso.
Appso

Postby EWW » 06 Oct 2021, 17:03

Yes third pic cameraman is looking south along Bridge steet towards the Hulk PH, to his left is what was Bockings shop and now a dentists . First pic is facing East.
EWW

Postby incony » 26 Oct 2021, 16:04

Using Britain From Above, and Old Maps UK , ive been able to put two new pins on the BFA image, bottom right - The Foul Anchor PH and the Ship Inn, both on Boal Street - the old maps link https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/561500/320500/13/100933 and the BFA image with the new pins ive added..https://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EPW021479 ive not put in the Fisheries, but it can be seen as well, as other pubs nearby..
Last edited by incony on 26 Oct 2021, 16:16, edited 1 time in total.
incony

Postby EWW » 26 Oct 2021, 16:14

Nice work incony :smt023
EWW

Postby incony » 26 Oct 2021, 18:37

Three buildings, shared that bridge street / boal street corner, the fisheries , the cottage joined to it, and the ship inn... as images shared here on the KL forums show, going back to 2008 the fisheries suffered extensive bomb damage in ww2, that destroyed the cottage next to it, and the Ship Inn that joined the cottage and went around the corner into boal street. It is not clear if the Ship inn was only the building at the corner or if it shared the taller building beside it and further into boal street... There are images of the fisheries looking north that show that junction of boal street and bridge street, looking north, from a distance, but ive not found any looking south, that show the whole corner.. The BFA image i shared is the best clue as to what it looked like.. a typical Kings Lynn corner junction building.. perhaps, and probably like this one...

the third image EWW shares is certainly looking south, and the corner of boal street,/ bridge street junction can be seen on the right, where what appears to be a loaded steam lorry is turning out of, into bridge street toward the photographer, one can see the Ship Inn , cottage and the Fisheries ( with its distinctive chimney gable end)
incony

Postby EWW » 12 Jan 2022, 11:36

Reading through some of these old post I see the Beehive pub is mentioned. I have been reading a book about old street names in connection
with nuggets query on street names and found this little ditty about the beehive pub.
It Reads.
Within this hive we are all alive
Good liquor make us funny
If you are dry step in and try
The flavour of our honey. :smt111
EWW

Postby desira37 » 12 Jan 2022, 13:15

According to the Norfolk Pubs my Gt. Grandfather on Mum's side was the last landlord there 1907 - 1912 when it closed.
Nanna had a pet white rat which she used to walk about the pub with on her shoulder [ so Mum always said ]
desira37

Postby Nuggets » 12 Jan 2022, 14:07

EWW wrote:Reading through some of these old post I see the Beehive pub is mentioned. I have been reading a book about old street names in connection
with nuggets query on street names and found this little ditty about the beehive pub.
It Reads.
Within this hive we are all alive
Good liquor make us funny
If you are dry step in and try
The flavour of our honey. :smt111

Hi EW
is the book that you were reading, regarding re street names available to purchase?
please let me know.
Nuggets

Return to LYNN AREA HISTORY