St Margaret's Mount

Interested in the history of the area or sharing memories or old photos from the local area? Post here.

St Margaret's Mount

Postby themorph » 23 Apr 2021, 14:39

I'm trying to find out where St Margaret's Mount is. I initially assumed it was the Red Mount because I knew that it had been used for gunpowder storage at some stage, and in the accounts of the siege of Lynn, gunpowder was stored in St Margaret's Mount. However, one map I have seen shows the Red Mount just outside the town wall, and I'm thinking, if that is correct, it's not a good move to store your powder where you enemy might get it. If anyone can throw any light on this I's be most grateful.
themorph

Re: St Margaret's Mount

Postby Tresagreen » 23 Apr 2021, 18:09

Think it's probably the same place. See 1485, 1586 and 1641

Tresagreen

Postby EWW » 23 Apr 2021, 21:46

themorph wrote:I'm trying to find out where St Margaret's Mount is. I initially assumed it was the Red Mount because I knew that it had been used for gunpowder storage at some stage, and in the accounts of the siege of Lynn, gunpowder was stored in St Margaret's Mount. However, one map I have seen shows the Red Mount just outside the town wall, and I'm thinking, if that is correct, it's not a good move to store your powder where you enemy might get it. If anyone can throw any light on this I's be most grateful.

The RM was just outside the wall for good reason. It was a wayside chapel for pilgrims on the way to walsingham to take refuge at nght
when the town gates were shut and locked to keep neardowells out of the town. The Highgate chapel was another just outside the East gate.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby themorph » 23 Apr 2021, 22:24

Thanks Tresagreen and EWW. That clarifies things for me.
themorph

Postby EWW » 25 Apr 2021, 08:15

Did a bit more digging on the name. The RM was built by St Margarets Church (the minster). Hence St Magaret's Mount.

At first a “holy relic” was put in St Margaret’s church but as this was not successful another plan was needed. It was decided to build a “stopping off” chapel for pilgrims travelling through Lynn (Red Mount) on their way to Walsingham the second most holy shrine in England after Canterbury.

Time Line.

Brief History of Red Mount Chapel

1483 April – Robert Currance told not to commence building without permit
1483 June – He was granted licence to build
1485 Prior William Spynke, the Benedictine (black) prior of St. Margaret’s granted lease of land upon which chapel stood. Per Lynn Priory return chapel cost £38.4.0d to build
1497 Offerings total £34.13.4d and this sum set against cost of re-building clerestory of St. Margaret’s
1506 Upper chapel completed at a cost of £14.11.0d – possibly by John Wastell the master mason for King’s College, Cambridge
1507 Alter guilded: organ, lecturn and music books purchased
1536 Act of Suppression of the monasteries
1537 Benedictine Priory closed
1560 Chapel defaced and new key made for 2d
1571 6 loads of roof tiles and 3 loads timber (roof) spars removed from site
1573 2 women carry bricks from mount over 2 days. Red Mount defaced and roofless
1577 Cistern and conduit of lead leased to Thos. Robinson, plumber
1586 12 shillings spent creating a study at Red Mount for Mr House, vicar of St. Margaret’s
1608 John Parkes and Robert Wright plus 2 or 3 labourers spent 11 weeks working at Red Mount at a toatl cost of £10.18.0½d. Loads of mortar brought from council’s storehouse. Parks & Wright paid 1/1d per day and labourers paid 9d per day. All plus 6d per week for beer
1641 18 barrels of gunpowder stored at Red Mount during Civil War
1665 Red Mount possibly used as a charnel house during plague
1754 Land and building leased to Alderman Mixon but he is not allowed to build ‘public house’
1780c Used as stables when ground floor partially filled in and door cut into South wall
1783 Building repaired as an observatory for students of navigation
1828 £250 raised by public subscription by Reverend Edward Edwards and John Blencowe. Upper windows to outer octagon restored; pinnacles added to buttresses; floors and stairs re-instated plus other works including installation of stained glass from St. Nicholas chapel into windows of upper chapel
1870 These stained glass windows reported as vandalised but fortunately details recorded by Wm Taylor in his 1840 ‘Pictorial Guide to King’s Lynn’
1922 Wrought iron tie rods inserted in Priests’ room
1936 Concrete ties sections inserted into corners of octagonal walls and its copper roof replaced in corrugated iron
1942 ½ ton German bomb fell in The Walks adjacent to Red Mount Chapel
Chapel opened as place of inter-denominational worship on 50 years lease to RC church but lease surrendered on 1st December 1988 as terms ‘too onerous’
2000 Report to lottery commission requested
2008 Chapel (listed grade 1) and The Walks (listed grade 2 open landscape) restored and chapel opened to public
Note: Interestingly the chapel was only used as a religious building for some 50 years of its 530 year existence
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby EWW » 25 Apr 2021, 08:26

EWW

Postby themorph » 03 May 2021, 10:06

Surprised about the date of 1641 for gunpowder storage. The reading I've been doing about the Siege of Lynn suggests 1642/43 - although those dates may simply refer to a further re-stocking of existing supplies rather than starting a new store.
http://circato.co.uk/the-siege-of-kings-lynn-1643-1-of-4
themorph

Postby EWW » 03 May 2021, 10:58

Don't know for sure but the calendar dates changed in the 1600s and some publications did not take that into account.
Might not be the answer but could be the case.
EWW

Postby Tresagreen » 03 May 2021, 11:23

themorph wrote:Surprised about the date of 1641 for gunpowder storage. The reading I've been doing about the Siege of Lynn suggests 1642/43 - although those dates may simply refer to a further re-stocking of existing supplies rather than starting a new store.
. Maybe they were being canny, like the Boy Scouts say. ' be prepared' :lol:
Tresagreen

Postby themorph » 04 May 2021, 11:39

Tresagreen wrote:
themorph wrote:Surprised about the date of 1641 for gunpowder storage. The reading I've been doing about the Siege of Lynn suggests 1642/43 - although those dates may simply refer to a further re-stocking of existing supplies rather than starting a new store.
. Maybe they were being canny, like the Boy Scouts say. ' be prepared' :lol:

I still think it's odd to put gunpowder in a structure outside your town wall where the enemy might have access to it, but hey, what do I know about gunpowder storage. :(
themorph

Postby EWW » 04 May 2021, 11:56

St Georges Guildall was also a gunpowder store. Better ouside the town wall and no doubt it was guarded than in the heart of the town
in what is now King Street.
EWW

Postby themorph » 05 May 2021, 13:46

EWW wrote:St Georges Guildall was also a gunpowder store. Better ouside the town wall and no doubt it was guarded than in the heart of the town
in what is now King Street.

At the beginning of 1643 the Council ordered barrels of gunpowder to be stored at the Market Cross, at St Ann's Fort, at Trinity Guildhall, and at St Margaret's Mount. I'm assuming (perhaps wrongly) that the Market Cross was on Tuesday Market Place. Given that during the siege the Tuesday Market Place received a lot of mortar shelling I am left wondering if it was. moved at any stage.
themorph

Postby EWW » 05 May 2021, 14:22

Yes the market cross collapsed. Stone from that and the Eastgate was used in the building of the gatehouse at Hillington Hall.
The M/cross was at the North side of the TMP. There are pictures of it on here.
EWW

Postby Zoolandia » 29 Jun 2021, 10:36

Thanks for posting that fascinating timeline EWW. The chapel seemed to have started work in 1485 (according to various websites anyway), but construction of the upper chapel was only completed in 1506. Thats a long time...?

https://archive.org/details/historyanda ... 8/mode/2up says:
1506 This Year St Margaret's Church was suspended, and the Christenings were performed- in the Charnel belonging to St John's Chapel

Hillen also says that work on the Red Mount started in 1483 but was halted when it was noted that it was wrong to start "without having first obtained the consent of the Mayor and Commons." It doesn't say how far work had proceeded before it was stopped. Construction does not seem to have recommenced until early 1485.

Or am I reading this wrong?
Zoolandia

Return to LYNN AREA HISTORY