Honey Cart from 1960's?

Interested in the history of the area or sharing memories or old photos from the local area? Post here.

Honey Cart from 1960's?

Postby 406peterr » 10 Apr 2021, 19:49

Hi all
haven't been on here for so long, I have looked at some of the subjects without logging in,. So hope you are all staying safe and well.
So here's a question to get you hunting through your photo's. Does anyone have any pictures they can share of the 'Honey Cart' that use to go around the villages in the 1960's and up to around 1973/4? My grandparents use to live in Fairgreen and when they bought their cottage, they had a kitchen built on the one up, one down. Money was tight, so they couldn't afford a bathroom extension, this wasn't built until around 1973/74, when they took in a lodger(retired builder) who helped them to build the bathroom. So the outside toilet was still being used.
It was funny as, when there was a family gathering or party, the men were sent to water the garden, as otherwise the bucket would overflow!! :P
We use to have the Honey Cart turn up to empty the bucket and the back of the truck looked similar to these photo's but i cant remember what the truck actually looked like or the cab looked like. Yes its also true, that we have watched him walk past the kitchen window(while we were eating lunch) with a glove and bucket in one hand and a sandwich in the other.
I've told many people of this story, in the past but they can't believe we were still using the outside toilet in the 70's. Yes it came with the emergency torn newspapers on a string and the drafty gaps top and bottom of the doors. You didn't dwell in the winter.

406peterr

Re: Honey Cart from 1960's?

Postby EWW » 10 Apr 2021, 20:14

Hello. Your pictures do not show like that. You need to follow the advice given in the "help" section. It is very easy and just like attaching
a picture file to an email. Give it a go and looking foreward to seeing the pictures.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby EWW » 10 Apr 2021, 20:42

I have changed the pictures for you. If you post the with the [img] tags they will not show at all. Leave them out and a link will appear
on the forum that we change to a picture. Members can click on the link that appear but it a bit more of a faff for us. Nice pictures but
sorry I cannot help with your query. No doubt some one will though. As I said in a post earlier this week, I only had an outside loo well
into the 90s. It was on the sewer though.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby Tresagreen » 10 Apr 2021, 22:32

Not exactly what you were looking for 406, but this was from the 1920s.

Tresagreen

Postby 406peterr » 11 Apr 2021, 21:52

EWW so sorry about pictures. I had forgotten how to do. Try to get right next time.
Thanks both for your reply's. When i searched i also found the hourse drawn cart from the 20's.
406peterr

Return to LYNN AREA HISTORY