Tottenhill Row & Tottenhill Common

Interested in the history of the area or sharing memories or old photos from the local area? Post here.

Re: Tottenhill Row & Tottenhill Common

Postby Ridgeback » 12 Jan 2021, 02:18

EWW wrote:
Ridgeback wrote:Hi

I've just had a reply from my request for a photo, so once the "Lockdown" is over I will make contact with the lady and obtain a copy. :D :D

Happy days :lol: :lol:

Really looking forward to seeing that Ridgeback.

Look forward to sharing it with you EWW and not forgetting APPSO, will post it here when I receive it :D :D
Ridgeback

Postby Appso » 12 Jan 2021, 12:30

Well done Ridgeback for asking the question on Nextdoor, glad to see it has stirred up some more enthusiasm. The answer from Anne Lowe puts the pub on the North side of Whin Common Road, opposite to where I have been looking. I had another look at the O/S maps but can see no buildings on that side of the road between the A10 and the group of cottages around the P.O. and Scarborough Cottage that I used to visit when the Johnsons lived there. I have also had a look at Google Earth, can see the village Hall and what used to be the football field but no sign of any building.
The football field now looks unused, no goalposts, pitch markings etc. They used to be a very successful side, a team photo of them that I took at West Winch after Tottenhill had won a cup final was in the trophy cabinet for years when Billy & Pauline Bunting kept the Dray & Horses. There was also a magnificent football trophy shield that hung on the wall over the fireplace, wonder where that is now?
I look forward to seeing the picture as and when it appears.
Appso

Postby Appso » 12 Jan 2021, 17:36

Thinking a bit more about the photo of Tottenhill F.C. it was a 20inch x 16inch black & white print produced in my darkroom, payment for it was an old Bullards Mild pump clip that I still have. From memory the goalkeeper in the photo was Paul King from Narborough who I later came across when he moved to North Runcton C.C. and became a very successful second eleven captain.
Appso

Postby Ewan » 10 Mar 2021, 22:06

Hi,

The Fighting Cocks is no.51 Whin Common Road. First cottage on the left, after the village hall, when travelling along Whin Common Road from the A10 to Wormegay.

We own it!

Happy to try to answer any questions and have a couple of old photos of the pub.

Ewan
Ewan

Postby EWW » 10 Mar 2021, 22:12

Welcome to the forum Ewan. Would love to see pictures of the old pub please.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby Ridgeback » 11 Mar 2021, 17:20

Ewan wrote:Hi,

The Fighting Cocks is no.51 Whin Common Road. First cottage on the left, after the village hall, when travelling along Whin Common Road from the A10 to Wormegay.

We own it!

Happy to try to answer any questions and have a couple of old photos of the pub.

Ewan

Afternoon Ewan

Certainly would love to see a picture of the old Pub, my Gt Gt Grandfather John Boon was landlord there in 1875-1883, shame it's not open now.

I did manage to speak to a lady in January who also has a picture but I can't go to look at it at the moment cause of Lockdown. :smt053 :smt053
Ridgeback

Postby Ewan » 11 Mar 2021, 20:54

The Fighting Cocks c.1900.

The large chimney behind was from the Blacksmith’s forge. The building remains, but the chimney is long gone.

Ewan

Postby Ewan » 11 Mar 2021, 21:01

A second picture of the Common with the pub in the background. Not sure of the age of this one.

Ewan

Postby Ridgeback » 11 Mar 2021, 21:22

Ewan wrote:The Fighting Cocks c.1900.

The large chimney behind was from the Blacksmith’s forge. The building remains, but the chimney is long gone.

Ewan

Thank you very much for that, I can now see where the pub is, am I correct, if I look at the pub front on, the Football field if it's still there is on the left hand side?

Cheers again do you mind if I download them?

Thanks again for sharing

David :smt053 :smt053
Ridgeback

Postby Ewan » 11 Mar 2021, 21:52

Hi David,

You are correct. The field is still there but hasn’t been used for football in several years.

Happy for you to download the pictures.

This may be of interest - we believe it to be the original serving hatch inside the pub (from the days before a bar).

Ewan

Ewan

Postby EWW » 11 Mar 2021, 22:30

Thanks Ewan. I like the cast of Last of the summer wine sitting outside the pub.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby Ridgeback » 11 Mar 2021, 22:33

Ewan wrote:Hi David,

You are correct. The field is still there but hasn’t been used for football in several years.

Happy for you to download the pictures.

This may be of interest - we believe it to be the original serving hatch inside the pub (from the days before a bar).

Ewan

Thank you again Ewan, I'm sure there maybe several people interested, not only me, I have a connection, but the the photo's you've uploaded could be added to the Norfolk Pub archives etc.

I'm interested in how you came upon this link?

David
Ridgeback

Postby desira37 » 12 Mar 2021, 12:44

Ridgeback
Your Gt. Gt grandfather's son John married Naomi Watkins in1900 and her sister Agnes Anna M Watkins married John William Hardy in 1891. He was the son of my 2 x Gt. Uncle Edward Hardy b 1826.
desira37

Postby Appso » 12 Mar 2021, 13:41

Thanks for the great pictures EWAN, it has solved another mystery for me. As I said in an earlier post I had been looking to take a photograph of the building - I wasn't even on the correct side of the A10 !!
Appso

Postby Ewan » 12 Mar 2021, 20:58

Thank you again Ewan, I'm sure there maybe several people interested, not only me, I have a connection, but the the photo's you've uploaded could be added to the Norfolk Pub archives etc.

I'm interested in how you came upon this link?

David[/quote]

Hi David,

Came across this thread by chance when I was searching for any old pics or maps of the village.
Ewan

PreviousNext

Return to LYNN AREA HISTORY