Robert Cook vessel Fairy

Interested in the history of the area or sharing memories or old photos from the local area? Post here.

Robert Cook vessel Fairy

Postby jps7 » 06 Jul 2020, 21:27

I am currently interested in Robert Cook (1798-1884) and his brother Henry Houghton Cook, both Kings Lynn merchants who are buried in Hardwick Cemetery. The owned a steam packet called "The Fairy", which, I believe, used to run between Lynn and Hull and Newcastle. I have drawn a blank on the internet so far, and would be grateful for any information about the vessel and the service.
Many thanks - John
jps7

Re: Robert Cook vessel Fairy

Postby EWW » 06 Jul 2020, 21:44

Interesting to see that they both died at the same address on the Tuesday Mkt Place. Bit of a long shot but there may be something
in the boat registry held at Trues yard museum. Not sure if they are open yet though. Their email address is in the Local Links at
the bottom of this page.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby westwinch » 06 Jul 2020, 22:57

1851 built and engines by T D Marshall & Co South Shields- ‘Fairy’ Iron Screw Steamer of 118x18x11ft for H. H. Cook (William Ayre, Robert Wise, Thomas James Ayre, Castle Rising, Henry Hooton and Robert Cook, King’s Lynn. George Cross, Torworth)Certificate No 73 (Official No12487) Christies Register. House of Commons 1870 for Richard L. Furley, 6 Wellington Street, Hull, 1879 registered London for A Laws, Tynemouth

http://www.humberpacketboats.co.uk
westwinch

Postby s.howard82 » 07 Jul 2020, 15:29

These appear in newspapers between 1853 and 1864, the one with captain Wise is 1853 and the other one 1864.

s.howard82

Postby EWW » 07 Jul 2020, 16:35

This is Cook's fleet where I presume the vessel the Fairy tied up. (common staithe sq )

I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby EWW » 07 Jul 2020, 16:36

Great stuff 82.
EWW

Postby jps7 » 07 Jul 2020, 22:02

Thanks everyone for your replies, all very useful and to the point for me. I had tried the Humberside site, but obviously missed the ship details.
John
jps7

Postby jps7 » 07 Jul 2020, 22:05

EWW, thanks for the map - I am fairly new to Kings Lynn - Is the Fleet the Purfleet, and common staithe square, now Kings Staithe Square [interesting especially for me as I now live in Kings Staithe Lane.
Regards John.
jps7

Postby EWW » 08 Jul 2020, 06:46

No the Common Staith is behind the Cornhall theatre. Cook's Creek was exactly where the long row of cars and the newish buildings stand.
The line of granite stones you can see in the picture running diagonal across the sq are the old quay line. There are pictures on here of the old
quay and the creek when it was open.

EWW

Postby EWW » 08 Jul 2020, 06:51

Here is a picture of the old fleet. You cas see boats in the old Cook's creek. Picture first posted by our member Delbert.
There are others also.

EWW

Postby EWW » 08 Jul 2020, 08:34

The "Fairy" would have tied up somewhere in this area.

EWW

Postby littleoldboy » 08 Jul 2020, 09:35

A wonderful example of what this Forum offers. So much useful information so quickly. EWW I have parked there many times in the past and never noticed the row of stones yet alone realised what they denoted.
Well done
Little Old Boy
littleoldboy

Postby jps7 » 08 Jul 2020, 18:10

EWW - Many thanks for your wonderful information and photos - I have contacted True's Yard, but have been asked to wait because of the current situation. Regards John.
jps7

Postby TopHat21 » 05 May 2021, 20:18

jps7 wrote:I am currently interested in Robert Cook (1798-1884) and his brother Henry Houghton Cook, both Kings Lynn merchants who are buried in Hardwick Cemetery. The owned a steam packet called "The Fairy", which, I believe, used to run between Lynn and Hull and Newcastle. I have drawn a blank on the internet so far, and would be grateful for any information about the vessel and the service.
Many thanks - John

Just joined today and this is my first post. My great-grandfather, William Henry (Bill) GRANGER was a crew member on the Fairy (also on the Sea Nymph).

The Mo, Sheringham https://www.sheringhammuseum.co.uk put me in touch with their volunteer historian and he emailed me some info on my great-grandfather and on the Fairy, which had a couple of bad collisions. I found William in records at the National Maritime Museum, Greenwich https://www.rmg.co.uk/national-maritime-museum and found his WW1 medal record card including Mercantine Marine medal
at https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/ NB While the National Archives are closed to visitors, they are offering free registration and free downloads when signed in (normally £3.50 per download). Current allowance is 10free downloads per basket and 100 free downloads per calendar month.

British Newspapers Archive lets you do basic searches and gives you a few details but to see everything you need to pay or have a Find My Past subscription https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/search

Hope that helps !
TopHat21

Return to LYNN AREA HISTORY