M&GN ON TV NEXT FRIDAY 17 APRIL

Interested in the history of the area or sharing memories or old photos from the local area? Post here.

M&GN ON TV NEXT FRIDAY 17 APRIL

Postby masonbm » 11 Apr 2020, 23:09

For M&GN fans, don't miss Channel 5 at 8pm next Friday-a walk along the old trackbed. Not sure which stretch exactly, but a preview shown at the end of the Good Friday episode showed the Raynham area. Also not sure whether the programme is a repeat, but don't think so.You can also see it an hour later on Channel 5+1.

About time the M&GN got a look in on programmes about old railways. My grandad worked on it from 1915 until it closed. He loved working on "a matey sort of line". He always said that if it had been double track throughout, it wouldn't have closed, but I said that wouldn't have stopped Beeching adding it to his list if it hadn't already closed by the time of his Report!
masonbm

Re: M&GN ON TV NEXT FRIDAY 17 APRIL

Postby EWW » 17 Apr 2020, 19:57

On now.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby EWW » 17 Apr 2020, 20:59

Well that was an hour well spent. Thanks for the heads up mason. Just shows how much we have lost.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby rospaul » 18 Apr 2020, 11:29

:smt023 …….. I enjoyed every minute of it. It makes you appreciate what a wonderful unspoilt part of the country we live in.

:smt006
Remember yesterday, dream about tomorrow, but live for today".
(Paul the dog walker)
rospaul

Postby EWW » 18 Apr 2020, 11:49

Too right RP. Last thing I want to see is a motorway here. I was only ever taken to Yarmouth once by my oldest sister by train
whos husband was a railway man. I think it was time to turnround and come home as soon as we got there. :D
EWW

Postby masonbm » 18 Apr 2020, 19:55

It left me wanting more. Rob Bell seemed genuinely enthusiastic about the M&GN, but he obviously hadn't been to Norfolk much as he said more than once that "Norfolk is flat (at school, we were taught that's only true for parts of the County, mostly Norfolk "gently undulates").

A question for you EWW- Rob Bell started his track bed walk near Roydon Common. I have often wondered if you are allowed to walk on the track bed between Gayton Road and Grimston Road old stations; he did, but then he sometimes gets special permission. I know you walk on Roydon Common-what do you think?
masonbm

Postby EWW » 18 Apr 2020, 20:31

I walked along part of it a few weeks ago and was standing on it when I took the pictures of the Roe deer. The common is the only
place I have walked on it so do not know where the private stretches are. You can pick it up at the end of Cliffe en Howe Rd. Or
park at the little car park where the model aero club used to meet and walk across the common till you come to it.
I may pay a visit next week as the police directive is that you can use your car to take a short trip to go walking for excercise
as long as the walk takes longer than the car journey.
EWW

Postby EWW » 18 Apr 2020, 20:52

This is part of what the College of Policing and the National Police Chiefs Council says. I have not copied and pasted it all just the bit that is of interest.

Reasonable. Comments Exercise Including: going for a run or cycle or practicing yoga.
Walking in the countryside or in cities. Attending an allotment.

Exercise can come in many forms, including walks.

Exercise must involve some movement, but it is acceptable for a person to stop for a break in exercise.
However, a very short period of ‘exercise’ to excuse a long period of inactivity may mean that the person
is not engaged in ‘exercise’ but in fact something else.
Reasonable
It is lawful to drive for exercise. Driving to countryside and walking (where far more time is spent walking than driving).

Not reasonable
Driving for a prolonged period with only brief exercise.Stopping to rest or to eat lunch while on a long walk.
EWW

Return to LYNN AREA HISTORY