Purfleet 1647

Interested in the history of the area or sharing memories or old photos from the local area? Post here.

Purfleet 1647

Postby Zoolandia » 12 Mar 2020, 20:27

Hi all,
I'm brand new here, please be kind :)
I'm delving in the history of Lynn and I've heard about the incident in 1647 when Civil War troops were billeted at the Purfleet quay and helped themselves to the wine stored there. Apparently they got so blind drunk they took to fighting each other. Interesting story, but is it true?

Best wishes

Paul
Zoolandia

Re: Purfleet 1647

Postby supergt1971 » 13 Mar 2020, 11:26

Sounds like a normal Saturday night in Lynn!
supergt1971

Postby EWW » 13 Mar 2020, 11:49

Spot on Super. :D

I have heard the story before but wether it is true I think we will never know. I cannot find anything about it in Hillen or any other
of the local history book. I will check with the NRO to see if they have anything.

There are wine cellers under both sides of the Purfleet that I have been lucky enough to go down...and great they are too.
Would not put it past them but it was a puritanical time and Mr Cromwell may not have liked such shenanigans. :roll:
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby Holcombe » 13 Mar 2020, 23:41

The siege of Lynn took place from 28th August 1643 to 16th September 1643. During the siege, on Sunday 3rd September, a 16 pound shot was fired from West Lynn into St Margarets Church causing damage to a pillar and frightening the congregation away. The place the shot is said to have struck the Church is visible on the west side of the church above the doorway. after the surrender the town had to pay a fine of £3200 to avoid being plundered. The town was then garrisoned by Parliamentarians for many years while opposition to Cromwell continued in many parts of the country. In 1653 the Corporation invited Cromwell to visit the town.
I haven't found anything yet about the 1647 incident but it's within the timescale of the occupation so I'll continue looking.
Holcombe

Postby Holcombe » 14 Mar 2020, 23:49

Parliamentary Archives have a number of references to Kings Lynn during the civil war. I haven't found anything specific about the incident mentioned but the prevailing atmosphere at the time seems to suggest that that Cromwells new Model Army wasn't popular.
In 1647 the Governor of King's Lynn and commander of the Garrison of Lynn Regis was Colonel Valentine Walton. On 20th September 1647 the House of Commons ordered that the Treasurers appointed for the County of Norfolk and the City of Norwich, sitting in Norwich, pay £1500 to Colonel Valentine Walton towards the ‘Relief’ (expenses) of the Kings Lynn Garrison. On the 27th September 1647 The Order was agreed by the House of Lords.
In 1647 Norfolk was one of many counties that were divided over the Parliamentarian rule. Many regarded what was called ‘the New Model Army’, the bully-boys of Parliament, demanding taxes and riding roughshod over any dissent with violence.
The cause was not helped when at Christmas 1647, Parliament banned the celebration of Christmas altogether, calling it a ‘pagan superstition’. In some places proclamations were read in the streets saying no shops were to be closed on Saturday 25th December and it was to be treated as a normal day, Saturday markets should go ahead, no ‘plum broth’ or other Christmas food was to be prepared or eaten and no ‘herbs’ to be hung up in houses or windows.
Holcombe

Postby Zoolandia » 15 Mar 2020, 10:59

Thank you Holcombe,
Although the letter said that this occurred in 1647 maybe the date was wrong...? However, I can imagine that such an incident, if it ever happened that is, might not be officially reported upon but was passed around the area by word of mouth to become local folklore.
Zoolandia

Postby EWW » 15 Mar 2020, 11:15

There is an ongoing project at the moment studying Lynn under seige in the civil war. Archaeological test pits ar being opened in certain
parts of the town, IE Hardings Pits and various quays and fleets to see what can be found.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby Zoolandia » 15 Mar 2020, 11:28

Hi EWW,
I've emailed them :-)
I put a request on Facebook to see if anyone can suggest a source for verification. One friend stepped forward with some Civil War knowledge and he questioned the use of the word "billet" to house the troops saying that this is a later term and doesn't apply to the housing of men in vaults. I said i agreed, but the source of this information is a little dodgy. His use of punctuation and spelling are a bit dubious, so maybe the word "billet" was used because that's the only term he knew to describe the situation?
Zoolandia

Return to LYNN AREA HISTORY