Air raid siren

Interested in the history of the area or sharing memories or old photos from the local area? Post here.

Air raid siren

Postby damishere » 15 Sep 2019, 17:13

Do any one know where the old air raid siren was located in kings lynn and where they are today any one have any pictures of it many thanks
damishere

Re: Air raid siren

Postby EWW » 15 Sep 2019, 19:46

The only two I can remember for certain were at the Fire station in Gayton road...now the surgery, and one at the old Electric works in
Kettlewell Ln. I should imagine that there were more in the town though.
Tested every Saturday morning at nine AM on the dot. You could set your watch by them.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby rospaul » 16 Sep 2019, 11:26

:D ……. This photograph was taken in September 2008 at the far end of Kettlewell Lane. It shows part of the old wartime air raid siren on top of a plinth at the site of the towns old electricity works. I haven't been that way for a few years but I'm sure it's still there.

:smt006
Remember yesterday, dream about tomorrow, but live for today".
(Paul the dog walker)
rospaul

Postby Tresagreen » 16 Sep 2019, 14:34

Sorry to correct you again RP, but this is the response to your same post back in 2017.

Tresagreen

Postby EWW » 17 Sep 2019, 19:25

If memory serves me the one at the fire station was on a pole like this. The one at the waterworks was on the side of the building.

I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby masonbm » 18 Sep 2019, 10:58

In the 1960s and 1970s-and maybe later-a siren went off from the fire station in Gaywood at exactly 6.45pm on a Monday, I think it was. Were they testing the flood warning system? (Sorry if this has been covered previously).
masonbm

Postby EWW » 18 Sep 2019, 15:58

Yes maybe flood but I cannot remember that at all. One of our members used to live behind the fire station in Lavender Rd.
Lets hope she comes on and confirm.
EWW

Postby Holcombe » 23 Jan 2020, 22:06

The use of the sirens for Flood Warning only began following a review of what needed to be put in place in the event of another flood like or worse than the flood that occurred on evening of Wednesday 11th January 1978. After that flooding, various reviews about what happened including failures in the flood warning system, took place between various public bodies including councils, Police and other emergency services and Anglian Water Authority. One of the outcomes was bring the former air raid sirens into use when a flood was likely. The sirens covered Kings Lynn and the coastal area. They were operated from a small room in Kings Lynn Police Station in St James Street and were activated when the leaders of the various interest bodies, working together in a joint control room, decided there was a real threat of flooding. I believe the sirens were tested each month on a Saturday at 9.00 am.
From my younger days, I recall seeing air raid sirens at a variety of locations in Kings Lynn but can't recall the exact sites. As others have said there was one on top of a wooden telegraph pole at the site of the former Fire Station (now Gayton Road Health Centre).
Holcombe

Postby masonbm » 24 Jan 2020, 15:31

I'm glad you have posted on this, Holcombe, because I am fairly certain I am right about the siren on Gaywood Fire station sounding at 6.45pm on a Monday-this would have been in the 70s or possibly early 80s. But it worries me that EWW doesn't recall that-and he is usually right!
masonbm

Postby Holcombe » 11 Feb 2020, 00:21

Looking at my last post, I might have got the test time wrong. It was on a Saturday but could have been 1000 am or 1200 midday. I’ll keep thinking about it.
I’ve been trying to recall information about the sirens used for flood warnings. They were originally part of the Cold War early warning system of the 1950’s and 1960’s with the control point for the sirens located in the Police Station in St James Street, KL.
After the 1978 flood surge that affected Kings Lynn and other parts of Norfolk, the emergency services, local government and various other bodies started working together to make contingency plans to minimise the flood risk in future.
The sirens were to become part of that planning and a way of warning people of the need to evacuate vulnerable properties, with the hope that it would minimise the risk of loss of life. They weren’t intended to warn people of potential flooding.
In 2006 there were 57 sirens located between Kings Lynn and Great Yarmouth which had been adopted as part of the flood warning system.
There was a siren on the roof of KL Town hall. It was to the right of the vehicle access archway from Queen Street to the back of the Town Hall, on the top of the dividing wall behind the square chequered front with the single door facing the Saturday Market Place. There was another on a pair of telegraph poles in Common Staithe Quay. There were others at Heacham, Hunstanton, Cley, Morston, Blakeney, Wells-next –Sea and still more in locations I can’t remember.
In January 2007 the Norfolk Resilience Forum (Emergency Services, LA, etc) proposed the withdrawal of the sirens. Consultations then followed. In May 2008 Norfolk County Council and Environment Agency officials said text, phone and internet warnings meant there was no longer a need for the sirens and they supported the proposal to discontinue the use of the sirens. Within a couple of years the sirens were no longer in use.
Holcombe

Postby EWW » 11 Feb 2020, 00:36

This is a picture of the one on the Common Staithe first posted by Appso. There are more pictures in the Fire Station thread.
The building was the town centre fire station.
EWW

Return to LYNN AREA HISTORY