RAC Range 1945/46 - help please?

Interested in the history of the area or sharing memories or old photos from the local area? Post here.

RAC Range 1945/46 - help please?

Postby PjayD » 21 Oct 2015, 10:24

Hi Everyone

I am new to this forum and am just hoping that some of the members maybe able to help please?

I have been slowly tracing my dad's service during WW2 and in 1945 (having returned back from Overseas) he was posted to an RAC Range.

Now this is where I get totally stuck and confused, because unfortunately there is not the greatest of information.

He was posted to 1st A/Tank det
No.1 ATK Range Det RA
His rank was Gunner

It also has written RAC Range Titchwell ....his demob stamp says - Kings Lynn.....and written in very faint pencil is - Brancaster
I also, remember him talking about Hunstanton - but only the area and not about his service.

So....I was just wondering (and hoping), with your expertise and history of the area, would anyone be able to offer advise, knowledge etc, regarding the above, the ATK Range, what they would have been doing etc please?

many thanks
PJ
PjayD

Re: RAC Range 1945/46 - help please?

Postby RichardG1 » 23 Oct 2015, 19:45

Hi PJ Couple of threads here

http://www.airfieldinformationexchange. ... =titchwell

http://www.airfieldinformationexchange. ... n-aviation)

Plenty of maps photos there will keep you busy for a couple of days.
The area you are talking about was one big shooting range of all types.
RichardG1

Postby PjayD » 24 Oct 2015, 09:02

Hi Richard

Thanks for picking up on my post and looking in to this for me.

I've had a quick look at the links and there's some great info on there for me to get stuck in to now.

very much appreciated
PJ
PjayD

Postby john filowiat » 29 Oct 2015, 18:34

You can see the remains of a tank at the RSPB reserve in titchwell
john filowiat

Postby PjayD » 30 Oct 2015, 11:28

Thanks for that John,

I think a trip to the area is definitely on the cards now
PjayD

Postby EWW » 30 Oct 2015, 11:28

There is plenty of stuff on Titchwell in this link.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5786
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby warwound » 30 Oct 2015, 21:29

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.97255 ... a=!3m1!1e3

That link should open Google Maps in satellite mode - you'll see a strip of thumbnails along the bottom of the map.
Scroll through the thumbnails and you'll see at least one picture of the ruined tanks.
Hover your mouse over a thumbnail and you see see the location of the photo shown on the map - you'll then know where to look for the tanks when you visit.

There's also a 360 panorama taken from within the ruins of an old wartime tower on the beach.
(Shameless plug for my own panorama there!)

Martin.
warwound

Postby PjayD » 31 Oct 2015, 11:31

Thanks EWW and Martin - more great links for me to follow through on.....and smashing photo's Martin!

I'm so glad that I found this forum, because thanks to all your replies, I now feel as though at last I'm getting somewhere with this, so just need to try and find out what he would have been doing there?

Does 1st A/Tank or No.1 ATK Range Det, ring any bells with anyone? .....or any thoughts as to if, this would have just been a depot, rather than a regiment based there in 1945/46?

cheers everyone
PJ
PjayD

Postby Rerun57 » 08 Mar 2020, 08:44

Interesting to read the comment about wartime service at Titchwell range with 1 A/tank range det. You have probably by now found answers to your questions, but I will put in my contribution anyway!

There was an Armoured Fighting Vehicles Range at Titchwell that was in use right up to the end of the war. Many remians still exist, but some have been buried. It was latterly used to re-train soldiers from Air Defence Great Britain and ex-wounded returning soldiers. They were beeing re-trained for armoured combat in the far east. Prior to this i was used for basic gunnery training for crews in the lead up to D-Day. Regiments came from quite a distance to use the range, usually for about a week at a time.

Further west, at Holme Dunes, there was Hunstanton Anti-Tank range. This had a sophisticated array of moving target rails and looks, much of which can still be seen on the ground.

I can probably dig up more info if anyone replies. It is likely that your father served at both ranges as, perhaps, an Instructor or maintenance bod. He might also have operated the targets from within the concrete bunkers dotted across each range.
Rerun57

Postby PjayD » 23 Mar 2020, 11:19

Hi Rerun

Thanks so much for your post and sorry for not replying to you sooner. The details you provided are a great help as this is one part of dad's service that I have been struggling on, so any info is gratefully received.

Many thanks
PjayD

Return to LYNN AREA HISTORY