Anchor Inn, South Lynn Plain

Interested in the history of the area or sharing memories or old photos from the local area? Post here.

Anchor Inn, South Lynn Plain

Postby SharnieB » 30 May 2014, 22:40

Hi all

First post here. My great granddad was the landlord of Anchor Inn (Round House) 1938 - 1961. He was William Robert French. I don't suppose anyone has photos of the Anchor Inn? Just a long shot

SharnieB
SharnieB

Re: Anchor Inn, South Lynn Plain

Postby EWW » 30 May 2014, 23:10

The only picture I know of on here is in this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1431&hilit=Anchor
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby SharnieB » 31 May 2014, 06:13

Brilliant, thanks EWW
SharnieB

Postby rospaul » 01 Jun 2014, 14:57

:D ....... The old Pub as it is now Sharnie B

:smt006
Remember yesterday, dream about tomorrow, but live for today".
(Paul the dog walker)
rospaul

Postby thaberland » 02 Jun 2014, 23:14

:D That pub has so many Memories when we were kids we use to sit outside and hear everyone singing everyone semmed so happy back then even though there was awar going on,
Thanks for the pictures :smt007 :smt007 :smt007 :smt007
thaberland

Postby Chris Brockbank » 06 Jun 2014, 15:30

one of my earliest unfortunate memories, was coming home from nursery at around 2/3 pm on a lovely summers day, my mum would always take me to the playground opposite whilst we waited for my sister to finish at whitefriars, when all of a sudden i hear screams, and see the place burning down. anyone have any copies of a newspaper about the incident at all? or any knowledge about it?
Chris Brockbank

Postby EWW » 06 Jun 2014, 16:04

Cannot remember a fire at the pub myself Chris but there may have been one of course.
What I can remember is a fire at the Chippie next door which was all part of the same building.
Could it have been that what you saw?
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby Chris Brockbank » 06 Jun 2014, 17:14

If I remember rightly, yeah it was the chippy, but it spread to the pub too?
Chris Brockbank

Postby littleoldboy » 23 Feb 2015, 15:20

Came across this picture of The White House, South Lynn Plain. I think it might be next door to The Anchor

Little Old Boy

littleoldboy

Postby EWW » 23 Feb 2015, 15:42

The right hand room became the fish and chip shop. Very nice too.
EWW

Postby Trev » 26 Feb 2015, 15:38

Yep. Had many fish and chips there. It was run then at the time by Mr & Mrs Lee. Inside was tiled with pale green tiles. As for the Round house, my dad used it quite often. As we lived in North Everard Street, My dad use to do the rounds. Starting at the Cross Ways, Round House, Hulk Inn also, can't remember the name but it was on the corner of Union Street and Coronation squire, then the Lincoln on the old mill fleet, then back home through the All Saints church yard. In years gone by,you was not that far away from a good local pub.
Trev.
Trev

Postby EWW » 26 Feb 2015, 18:00

The pub you cannot remember was the Volunteer Stores. There is a thread on here about it.
EWW

Postby daveh » 01 Mar 2015, 12:48

Volunteer Stores - that brought back some memories EWW. My grandparents lived in Saddlebow Road and I used to go with my grandmother to town, along the quay, from Wisbech Road to the Customs House. 1 Saturday we walked through Coronation Square and she popped into the pub and I sat outside with a bottle of Coke (+ straw) and a bag of crisps - Heaven (plus a bit). I must have been about 10 years old. Soon after that it was knocked down, to build Hillington Square. Our locals, when we lived on London Road, were The Anchor and The Hulk - Ernie Dann was the Landlord of both (can't remember which preceded which) with his wife & daughter. They moved on to The Queen's Arms, in London Road - I wasn't keen on Elgoods, then, but now it's a nice pint (is it me or has beer really changed since then?) My father used to go to The Carpenters, further up the road, and The Live & Let Live, in Windsor Road - still there last time I went passed.
daveh

Postby EWW » 01 Mar 2015, 12:54

Ernie and Thelma were at the Hulk first and then the Anchor. I used to drink in both
regular. I cannot remember them moving to the Queens though, and they do not show
in the records for the pub.
EWW

Postby daveh » 08 Mar 2015, 18:15

Hi EWW, back again. Must be my memory - I could have sworn that Ernie Dann took over the Queen's Arms and retired from there. Apologies, it was so long ago, must be 40 years, or more. On another subject, last time I visited my father, in December, he was telling me about the swimming races across the Ouse - that must be at least 60 years ago! He is full of old tales of Lynn, especially during the war, when he was in the Home Guard with his father & brother. Any Home Guard reminiscences from anyone?
daveh

Next

Return to LYNN AREA HISTORY