Anchor Inn, South Lynn Plain

Interested in the history of the area or sharing memories or old photos from the local area? Post here.

Re: Anchor Inn, South Lynn Plain

Postby Jools » 08 Mar 2015, 18:25

Re the Ouse Swimming comps my uncle Doug Simpson won this on more than one occasion.
Jools

Postby EWW » 08 Mar 2015, 21:14

There are several threads on the home guard on here dave. Ernie became very ill while
at the Anchor, and I think, but not sure that is where he died.
His daughter married Daryl Ryan one of our local builders.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby A.French » 12 Feb 2020, 17:58

Hi sharnieB, couldn't believe reading the post on here today, I saw a picture on Facebook and assumed it was The Anchor Inn then I stumbled across this forum page and seen your post!! The Anchor Inn was run by my Grandad William Robert French and my Grandma Blanche French née massingham, you must be related to my uncle Fred and aunty Kath somehow!!
My Dad grew up in the pub Ivan Earl French and my brother was named after grandad as mam was pregnant with him when he passed away and I was only two, my dad does have a photo of the Anchor inn somewhere and pictures of grandad, would be lovely to know more about you Alison Adamson née French
A.French

Postby Tresagreen » 12 Feb 2020, 21:59

Photo courtesy of David Apps.

Tresagreen

Postby EWW » 12 Feb 2020, 22:11

Quite a few pictures on here of the Anchor. One of my favorite pubs when Thelma and Ernie Dann ran it.
Some in the link posted further back in this thread.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby Holcombe » 13 Feb 2020, 21:22

When I was researching my family history, I came across the following story concerning my grandfather:
During the early 1950’s Percy Crake was a regular visitor to The Anchor Public House at 6 South Lynn Plain, at the end of Valingers Road. It was also known as ‘The Roundhouse’, where Percy was a committee member of ‘‘The Roundhouse Sick Club’. This was a ‘Club’ that had the purpose of providing members with a small income if they became unable to work through illness. Each week Percy would leave his home on his bicycle to visit the homes of each of the members of the ‘Club’ to collect their weekly contributions. In the event of a member becoming ill and unable to work, Percy, or his daughter Sheila and her boyfriend Ken, would visit the member to pay them their small weekly payment to help their family through the period when they were unable to work. On a couple of occasions, when individuals sought to take advantage of the generosity of the members by ‘being sick and unable to work’ when in fact they were able, it fell to Percy to visit them and offer stern words to discourage any further misbehaviour.
Holcombe

Previous

Return to LYNN AREA HISTORY