HAYNES GARAGE

Interested in the history of the area or sharing memories or old photos from the local area? Post here.

Re: HAYNES GARAGE

Postby Nuggets » 06 Dec 2019, 15:47

I couldn't resist the Vespa. It was my first purchase after cycles, it had an engine fumes and oily smells you know. After all it was only a tenner. I had to walk with it from Gaywood to Raby Avenue which is where I learnt to operate it properly.
More scooters and motor bikes were to follow over the following years.
Nuggets
Nuggets

Postby Nuggets » 06 Dec 2019, 18:01

I use to borrow my mates Bantam to nip home for dinner during the late sixties, a three speed box if memory serves me right quite nippy I thought. Would this be a match for your Speedmaster?
Nuggets
Nuggets

Postby EWW » 06 Dec 2019, 21:20

I exchanged a BSA Bantam D14/4 for a Yamaha Diversion some time ago. Four speed box. It has since been sold on to another friend of mine.
I wish I had kept it just to look at in the garage. The Speedmaster is faster in first gear than the Bantam was in top. :smt028
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby Nuggets » 06 Dec 2019, 21:28

I was going to say how quick my Honda CB 175 was after riding the Bantam but what you say about your Speedmaster.....
I think enough said.
Nuggets.
Nuggets

Postby EWW » 06 Dec 2019, 21:32

There area couple of pictures of bikes of mine and a few of other members bikes in the motorcycle thread in Say Anything section.
I will put a picture of my newest one on tomorrow if I get time.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby Holcombe » 23 Jan 2020, 22:24

Like Nuggets, I was one of those GPBSS boys that worked at Haines Garage after school. Unless my memory is going, I think we got about 2/6d per shift, meaning 10 shillings if we did 4 shifts a week. The odd tip from a driver was a bonus. Nuggets will no doubt correct me if I've got it wrong! Bob lived in the end terrace house on the town centre side of the garage. He was a nice chap and as boys we learnt quite a bit from the experience of working for him. We repaired punctured tyres but I doubt those repairs would be possible nowadays. I remember my first experience of a Jaguar when the driver got out and told me to fill both tanks up. I looked at him thinking he was winding me up but I quickly learnt that big posh cars like that did have two tanks.
Holcombe

Postby EWW » 23 Jan 2020, 23:21

I used to drive a 4.2 Daimler Sovereign and if I was clogging it along you needed two tanks. I loved that beast though even if it was thirsty. :speedy
EWW

Postby Nuggets » 28 Jan 2020, 18:17

Holcombe wrote:Like Nuggets, I was one of those GPBSS boys that worked at Haines Garage after school. Unless my memory is going, I think we got about 2/6d per shift, meaning 10 shillings if we did 4 shifts a week. The odd tip from a driver was a bonus. Nuggets will no doubt correct me if I've got it wrong! Bob lived in the end terrace house on the town centre side of the garage. He was a nice chap and as boys we learnt quite a bit from the experience of working for him. We repaired punctured tyres but I doubt those repairs would be possible nowadays. I remember my first experience of a Jaguar when the driver got out and told me to fill both tanks up. I looked at him thinking he was winding me up but I quickly learnt that big posh cars like that did have two tanks.

Hi Holcombe,
as ever nothing wrong with your memory. 10 Bob for four shifts was the going rate when I also worked at Haynes Garage.

Tips as you say were a rare thing and as for puncture repairs well they were o/k for the day but nothing compared to what is required to-day!

Petrol filler caps on cars could also be a challenge to locate. I found that on some vehicles you had to pull down the rear number plate as they were spring loaded, this then exposed the filler cap. On one occasion I had to ask a driver where his filler cap was as I could not find it.
He then came to the rear of the vehicle and unscrewed a rear reflector light as this was the filler point for this vehicle!
I can`t remember this could have been a Ford or maybe a Vauxhall, maybe some of the older Forum Members might know the answer!

As for memories can you recall how much a season ticket would cost you for the Outdoor Pool in the Walks?
Rgrds Nuggets.
Nuggets

Postby Holcombe » 28 Jan 2020, 21:19

Well Nuggets you've reassured me that I haven't lost all my marbles.
I remember thinking the Season Ticket cost a fortune. I think it was 12/6d and I had to borrow the money to get one. Paid back over the summer but it worked out cheaper than paying each visit.
Holcombe

Postby Appso » 29 Jan 2020, 13:17

Some of the Humber models of the 1950/1960 era had the offside reflector disguised as the filler cap.
Appso

Previous

Return to LYNN AREA HISTORY